• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MEG Preview] Foul Locales: Beyond the Walls

JoeGKushner

First Post
There was a lot more to the book than my review suggests but it's the old problem of time, word count and quickness hitting below the belt.

If you liked the first one, this one is all that and more.

Then again, people who've seen my past posts know that I'm always in favor of other publishers reusing OGC. The fact that they used some PI made it even better. I'm looking forward to more of this type of quality.

The Antra

First Post
Hey, Joe!

Thanks for the kind words in your review! It´s rare that reviewers mention the art at all, let alone the artists names. I feel truly flattered by your compliments.

Best,
Marcio Fiorito

JoeGKushner

First Post
You are one of the talents I think people have come to recognize in the d20 art field. I think that with you, Claudio, and several others, the d20 art standard has come a long way.

It does pain me to see some products that have great art and then some real dogs in the same product but the artists have no control over what gets put next to their masterpieces. Often times, it's like these same companies feel that adding more art will just increase the value of the product and as several companies can tell you, no art is better than bad art.

Mystic Eye

First Post
I agree with ya Joe. We are always striving to raise the bar on ourselves. Make the art better, etc. It is a constant consideration for us.
I consider cartography to be "art" as well and Ed Bourelle, in my mind, is one of the best out there doing cartography right now.

I am glad you enjoyed the art in Beyond the Walls, I think we have a winning team at MEG. Marcio is a big part of that team. Yes, I know he works for lots of other folks but I do count him amongst us as a team member and a friend.

I also think we have hit something really worth while for d20 role players with our Foul Locales line and we plan to continue it. The one after Beyond the Walls, titled, Behind the Gates is almost done already.
It focuses on locations for small communities like villages and hamlets, etc.

Napftor

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
Then again, people who've seen my past posts know that I'm always in favor of other publishers reusing OGC. The fact that they used some PI made it even better. I'm looking forward to more of this type of quality.

Indeed. I knew we were using some OGC for the Bloodforge, but the idea for the Sentients seemed to merge so naturally with Monte's variant bard, that I couldn't stop from going after it. It was an easy matter for Charles Plemons to contact Sue Cook and get the go-ahead for the PI use. I'm very happy with the way Dead Bards' Run and the whole book turned out.

And if you liked the writing as well as the art (which is frickin' great!), it wouldn't hurt to know that the same main trio of authors (as it stands now) are writing the rest of the Foul Locales line.

Last edited:

The Antra

First Post
Joe,

Words like yours are what makes me want to improve always. It was not an easy move to start a completely different career as a RPG freelance artist. I am a foreigner and all I had was a dream and some will to work a lot.

With the help of a lot of great people (Yeah, Doug! You´re one of them! :D ) I managed to get through with what I now call a career.

Trust me when I say that your words make it all worth it!

More to come! Much more to come! ;)

Best,
Marcio Fiorito

Adlon

Mortality.net
Antra, just a reminder. The Jan 3rd Mortality Radio Show has Larry Elmore as our guest interview. You may want to attend that one :)

Larry has told me that he will divulge many of his 'secrets' on that show.

tensen

First Post
The Antra said:
Joe,

Words like yours are what makes me want to improve always. It was not an easy move to start a completely different career as a RPG freelance artist. I am a foreigner and all I had was a dream and some will to work a lot.

You neglected to meantion that you had a fantastic talent and skill with art.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads