• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mel Gibson and the Crop Circles, what a crap!

Turanil

First Post
I've seen this movie two days ago on TV. This crap featuring Mel gibson, about Crop Circles and inept aliens. It was called "Signs" if I remember well... :mad:

Well, I really like Mel Gibson, and I thought that Crop Circles could be the basis for a cool movie, I mean, some subtle sci-fi mystery investigation plot, probably ala X-Files. But what do we get instead? The most odious crap I ever saw these last years. Couldn't believe it. Poor Mel, I am ashamed for you that you stared in this idiocy.

I mean:
1) Some aliens come from another planet in their spaceship. So their technology must be incredibly advanced. Right?
2) Some aliens from a distant planet are certainly based on a chimy much different from our own. As such, they absolutely cannot eat something from our planet, since their DNA is incompatible with ours. Right?

So what do they do?
1) They imprint crop circles in corn fields, as a mean of orienteering themselves on our planet. Imagine the level of technology required to do this. They could use it to devise simple means of navigation? But no, they need to create crop circles in corn field or they would be lost. Yeah.
2) When on our planet, they walk nude. Yeah. No weapon, no tools, nothing, just a short pant. Yeah.
3) They eat humans of course. No fishes, no cow, no plants, no, only humans. With our DNA certainly incompatible making us useless food for them. Yeah.
4) They cross the void in their great starships, but are unable to simply open a wooden door with a plank on it. I mean: they just have their clawed hands, no weapons, nothing. Yeah.
5) Simple water burns their "flesh" like acid. But water is a compound necessary to life (as a solvent). Being burned by water is simply absurd. In any case, the human body is full of water, and they pretend to eat us?

I could go on and on... This movie, what a crap. There was the basis and actor for a cool story. But no. They DO PREFER to product crap. If an author comes with an interesting story, they probably reject it and say, "no, forget this, make some goood ooold craaap instead".

I must say it again. Mel Gibson and the Crop Circles, what a crap. Or maybe I didn't understand? It's Crap Circles.

Starman

Adventurer
It's better if you think of it as a Twilight Zone episode (it is M. Night Shyamalan, after all), more thriller or mystery or horror than hard sci-fi.

horacethegrey

First Post
Never bothered to watch this movie. But the Turanil's post has pretty much killed any hope of me ever giving it a chance. I especially enjoyed this fact:

Turanil said:
5) Simple water burns their "flesh" like acid. But water is a compound necessary to life (as a solvent). Being burned by water is simply absurd. In any case, the human body is full of water, and they pretend to eat us?

What the f**k is this? An alien movie or M Night chanelling the Wizard of Oz? Urgh. I suggest you guys check out Communion starring Christopher Walken. Now that was a creepy film.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I did think coming to a planet two-thirds covered by something which will kill you with no protective measures is an indication that we really don't need to worry about alien invasions if they're all that stupid (but then, in Independence Day, the aliens thoughtfully had Miscrosoft compatible hardware and software - Bill Gates really does get around!).

It's kinda like us going to the moon but not bothering with space suits or oxygen.

horacethegrey

First Post
Morrus said:
I did think coming to a planet two-thirds covered by something which will kill you with no protective measures is an indication that we really don't need to worry about alien invasions if they're all that stupid (but then, in Independence Day, the aliens thoughtfully had Miscrosoft compatible hardware and software - Bill Gates really does get around!).

Ugh. Please don't mention that movie ever again. I can hardly think of a lamer way to halt an alien invasion than by uploading a virus into their motherhsip. Compatible hardware my ass. :p

EDIT: Of course Mr. Gates gets around! Why, he and his collective have assimilated have the known universe and plan to do the same to us in the near future. :p

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Personally, I can't wait to go to a planet far, far away and walk around naked and eating their people. Of course, they'd have to have attractive cheerleaders that we need to steal.

I mean seriously, we have movies about aliens doing this to us, so why don't we beat them to the punch and do all the cliche stuff first. ;)

More on topic, I've never seen that movie and never really had any desire to. Now I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Rackhir

Explorer
Turanil said:
2) Some aliens from a distant planet are certainly based on a chimy much different from our own. As such, they absolutely cannot eat something from our planet, since their DNA is incompatible with ours. Right?

Compatability of us/earth stuff is more likely down to amino acids, which are what we really need to survive. It's entirely possible we would be edible to them. Or at least no more inedible than many things on earth are to us. Different DNA would just mean they couldn't mate with us. Which come to think of it, I don't think they had any naughty bits to use anyways.

Turanil said:

Water is a pre-requisite as we under stand life, but yeah being burned by it is pretty stupid. Especially since it falls from the sky on a regular basis here, which gets back to you're whole "Why are they walking around naked?" point.

Turanil said:
I could go on and on... This movie, what a crap. There was the basis and actor for a cool story. But no. They DO PREFER to product crap. If an author comes with an interesting story, they probably reject it and say, "no, forget this, make some goood ooold craaap instead".

This movie ruined M. Night for me as well. Unfortunately by most accounts "The Villiage" is even WORSE...

Rackhir

Explorer
horacethegrey said:
Ugh. Please don't mention that movie ever again. I can hardly think of a lamer way to halt an alien invasion than by uploading a virus into their motherhsip. Compatible hardware my ass. :p

EDIT: Of course Mr. Gates gets around! Why, he and his collective have assimilated have the known universe and plan to do the same to us in the near future. :p

Actually it was Apple Compatible hardware. That was a Mac Laptop that Jeff Goldblume had, which was why he could pull it off. Bill Gates doesn't generate a reality distortion field like Steve Jobs does..

Remove ads