• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Melee builds power ranking

fagura

First Post
I am really interested in what the community thinks regarding melee builds.
Fighter, barbarian, rogue, ninja, paladin, monk, ranger, cavalier, samurai are the obvious choices. Then again, some casters can make pretty interesting melee builds too. Let's avoid multiclass characters or prestige classes (no 3rd party material either). That said, any class with which you might consider taking to create a melee build should be graded from * to ***** (one star being the weakest, five stars the strongest in your opinion). Rankings should focus primarily on power in melee combat. If you think two classes are equivalent in melee though, consider giving an extra star to the class that gives the player other options too (ie versatility or utility character for the rest of the party). Also, if you have in mind a build that does not focus on damage, please write it down (ie Monk - tripper or Oracle - tank)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
It has been my experience that casters make better melee combatants than melee classes do.
As Pathfinder goes, I've played a Druid, a Vivisection Alchemist and a Synthesist Summoner. They've all been melee builds. The Druid would Summon Nature's Ally, had a Large Tiger and could Wildshape, making a Melee trio. The Alchemist could Bite/Claw/Claw using Feral Mutagen with Sneak Attack on each attack and was out damaging the Orc Fighter who had Power Attack by the time they were both level 5. The Synthesist Summoner could Pounce and Bite/Claw/Claw with Power Attack by level 2. All of these characters have been able to Melee like a boss.... and use spells, and have class abilities to supplement everything else.

My general opinion (leaving room for exceptions) is nearly any class can be designed to be good at melee combat. The pure melee classes simply cannot do anything else.

It has been my experience that casters make better melee combatants than melee classes do.
snip

My general opinion (leaving room for exceptions) is nearly any class can be designed to be good at melee combat. The pure melee classes simply cannot do anything else.

seconded... I would suggest if you want to rank the non casters and half casters you say up front casters don't count...

Remove ads