• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee Fighter Build Suggestions

Rackhir

Explorer
I have five levels and the PHB , XPH and Arcana Unearthed to put together a character with. Items and such are limited, but I do have a choice between a spiked chain and a greatsword for magic items.

I was leaning towards a half giant, so I can use large weapons. But Fire Away!

Vurt

First Post
Well, if you're going half-giant, I'd recommend at least one level of psychic warrior for the expansion power. A greatsword doing 4d6 base damage is nothing to sneeze at. Make the rest barbarian or fighter levels, and let the power attacking mayhem begin!

Cheers,
Vurt

kjenks

First Post
One level of Psi Warrior doesn't do much with Expansion. At manifester level 1, it has a one-round duration -- just enough to give you -2 AC on your opponent's next attacks, then it wears off just before your turn.

If you're gonna go psionic, go Psi Warrior all the way. Power Attack and the Deep Impact feat work well together, but ya gotta have that BAB +5, so you're out of luck at 5th level. It might be good to plan for that as your level 6 feat.

You could do Weapon Specialization (Claws) then use your psi powers to manifest the various forms of claws. Much fun.

On the non-psionc side, the traditional spiked chain fighter is pretty good. Human fighter all the way, maybe one level of Barbarian. Combat Reflexes, Exotic WP (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Weapon Specialization, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain).

The dwarven tin can is mighty fine, too. Fighter 5. Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Cleave, Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Dodge. Adamantine Full Plate (10,500 gp and well worth every copper). +1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield (9,170 gp).

Don't just be 5th level. Be 5th level on your way to something else. Have a plan for your future. Set up your build for your next 15 levels. This might indicate that you need some sub-optimal feats and skills for the first five levels.

Rackhir

Explorer
Does anyone have experience with the Warmain, from AU? The bit I've seen sound like it would be perfect for what I'm looking for (big swords - LOTS of damage).

RigaMortus

Explorer
Vurt said:
Well, if you're going half-giant, I'd recommend at least one level of psychic warrior for the expansion power. A greatsword doing 4d6 base damage is nothing to sneeze at. Make the rest barbarian or fighter levels, and let the power attacking mayhem begin!

Cheers,
Vurt

Nah, go Sorcerer... Expansion only lasts 1 round per level... I think Enlarge Person last 1 min per level?

Random Hero

First Post
Hmm...

Personally, I am not so keen on using Psionics so I usually steer clear of that landmine... I am not sure if it would work but you could try monkeygripping a huge spiked chain and get a 20 ft. reach, if you got high enough dex you could combo that with combat reflexes and power attack to keep the bitches at bay--so to speak.

Like I said however, I am not sure if this would even work so I would recommend getting a second opinion. I don't got my books with me right now either so I am just trying to think off the top of my head.

Levels-- Fighter
1st: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Monkey Grip
2nd: Weapon Focus (spiked chain)
3rd: Combat Reflexes

Again, I don't know.... check it out if you want

Rackhir

Explorer
Well weapon choice got forced on me. So I am winding up with a +2 Shocking Spiked Chain (large) Wielding AU Giant (3 racial levels) , Barb1/Fighter1. I plan to pick up at least 1 more level of fighter and then go warmain (AU-Class).

So for feats he's taken
EWP (Spiked Chain of Course)
Combat Reflexes (He's going to have a 15'-20' threatened area, depending on how the DM does large reach weapons).
Imp initiative (I've found that I really like going first)

Going for Power Attack, cleave and Wpn Focus as my feats for the next three levels, Fighter/Warmain/Warmain. Which gets me at least two bonus feats.

Biggest consideration at this point is ways to pump his dex for more AoO's per round, since you are limited to your dex bonus in AoOs with combat reflexes and he's only got a 14 dex. Gonna have to read up on the cover rules though.

Remove ads