• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee touch spells, SU touch attacks, and full attacks

Rkhet

First Post
1. Can a melee touch spell be used as a part of a full attack?
2. ditto, with Supernatural touch attacks?
3. If a melee touch spell has more than one charge and does not explicitly limit the number of times it could be used per round (e.g. Chill Touch), does that mean you can use this as many times as you have attacks with a full attack?
4. Spell Flower from Savage Species allows you to hold one charged touch spell per arm. If you have two touch attacks held, can you use both in a full attack? What about in an AOO with the Double Hit feat (taking appropriate TWF penalties)?
5. Does having Improved Unarmed Strike change the answers to above questions in any way?

Personal opinions are all very well, but I'd appreciate answers quoted from the RAW.

glass

(he, him)
Rkhet said:
1. Can a melee touch spell be used as a part of a full attack?
Yes, if you have it on hand at the begining of your actions (or it is a swift action spell).
Depends. If they are free actions or always active, or you can hold the charge like a spell, then yes. Otherwise, probably no.
3. If a melee touch spell has more than one charge and does not explicitly limit the number of times it could be used per round (e.g. Chill Touch), does that mean you can use this as many times as you have attacks with a full attack?
I don't see any reason why not.
4. Spell Flower from Savage Species allows you to hold one charged touch spell per arm. If you have two touch attacks held, can you use both in a full attack? What about in an AOO with the Double Hit feat (taking appropriate TWF penalties)?
I don't see any reason why not, although I don't have SS so I don't know the exact wording of the spell.
5. Does having Improved Unarmed Strike change the answers to above questions in any way?
No. Why would it?

EDIT: I haven't provided any quotes from the RAW, because IMO you can do all the stuff that your were asking about. If I knew of a restriction I'd post it, but it's hard to post a lack-of-restriction.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
glass said:
Rkhet said:
Depends. If they are free actions or always active, or you can hold the charge like a spell, then yes. Otherwise, probably no.
Found it!

There was one quote I wanted to provide, but I couldn't find it at first:
The SRD said:
Supernatural Abilities: Using a supernatural ability is usually a standard action (unless defined otherwise by the ability’s description). Its use cannot be disrupted, does not require concentration, and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
So, if supernatural abilities are standard actions unless otherwise noted, then you can't activate one in the same round as a full attack. Although, if they have a duration then you can use them the next round. Of course, some of them do specify otherwise, and other that don't probably should... :D

glass.

Dross

Explorer
In my NSHO, it always pays to ask yourself: why not? Prove that you CAN'T do it since you apparently* want to do it.

Does the power say you can't? than you can (as long as the DM allows it ;) )

* I say apparently because I don't know if you are asking as a PC or DM or "hhhmmm, that's intersting."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads