• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memorable Phrases uttered by PCs

KenSeg

First Post
In every gaming group there are those phrases that players mention and then all laugh/cry/groan as the memories are brought back. What are the famous saying in your group?

In my own group there have been several. The most memorable was uttered about 15 years ago in a mid-high level group. We had battled our way deep into the temple of the BBEG and were entering combat with him and his minions. The DM tells us that we hear the sound of heavy footsteps pounding toward us down a corridor. I yelled out to our DM's NPC character, a pacifist cleric, "Just hold them for a round or two!!" He did. It took them a whole round to turn him into paste.

"Ah-oh" uttered by my wife's hobbit who has just fired off a frost wand between my fighter's legs as I stood on a short wall and held off multiple giants. She had of course failed her dex check to use the wand with a "1" and shot me right in the ..... well, you can guess the rest.

"Surely he wouldn't do that?", again uttered by one of my characters as I strode out between the giants and two dragons confident that it was an illusion.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

Our party's ranger had lost her sword on a roll of '1' (2ED&D) and throew it down the hall as she engaged her racial enemy (Bugbears). She had a magic hand-ax (thowing/returning) in her off hand which she never switched to her primary and proceeded to roll 5 consecutive "20"s clearing a path back to her sword - "Give me back my sword!", she cried (gales of laughter ensued.)

Now when the player is doing poorly the others urge her to throw it down the hall. She still cries, "Give me back my sword!", on occasion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I played a Paladin that had an amazing penchant for being in the wrong place at the wrong time- IOW, away from the protection of her party's spellcasters- resulting in quotes like:

"Did anyone remember to heal the Paladin?" (she was holding the line against critters charging through a door when they started rolling crits...and everyone else was a good distance away.)

"Um...which side of the Prismatic Sphere is the Paladin on?" (she was holding the line against a Pyrohydra when the mage cast his spell...with her on the outside with the beastie)

One Ranger I played took "shadow creatures" (something unique to the campaign) as his primary FE. In the very first battle versus "shadow creatures," none of my attack rolls was over a 7, to which another PC commented that it was "He made all of the difference- were it not for the distraction he provided...yes...excellent bait."

Last edited:

evizaer

First Post
"What's the DC for crafting a contraceptive?" was uttered when the rogue in the party finally realized that the promiscuous and raucous cleric was doing a bit too much bluffing and diplomacy to the local tavern wenches.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Traveller Game. Party at bottom of stairs. Villains at top of stairs.
Character throws torc (disintegrate) grenade up long flight of stairs.
Torc grenade hits steps most of way up, bounces around, then starts bouncing ... down. Gravity works it's magic.
Torc grenade explodes. Guess where.

In the immortal words of one surviving character afterwards: 'What goes up, must come down.'

Vorput

First Post
I had an alienist wizard in a recent campaign who was something of a relativist- and through the course of the campaign proved the gods were mere creatures and there was no absolute good or evil (he actually became chaotic evil, while still doing good- just to make a point). He delighted in the phrase "I worship the color blue, as a deific concept."

It's still used when the game starts getting too philosophical/metaphysical for my taste.

Edgewood

First Post
I remember the fighter in a game I ran years agoi was up against a Lich with a group of other PCs. It was his turn, he ran up to the lich, tumbled through the Lich's armed guards and thrust his magic sword into the Lich's "guts" (which was a death blow). When he struck the telling blow (and just before the Lich "died") he leaned forward and whispered into the Lich's ear..."I rolled a 20."

OOC no doubt but we all had a laugh.

steev42

First Post
My favorite in-game quote.

"We already have an army raised. We just haven't told them we're in charge yet."

It was years ago, and I don't remember the exact situation, but I know there was an army of hobgoblins nearby, and we needed an army for some reason...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"They can't all be trapped to explode..."

"I'm vaguely annoyed at having an iron spike in my head."

Last edited:

skinnydwarf

Explorer
KenSeg said:
In every gaming group there are those phrases that players mention and then all laugh/cry/groan as the memories are brought back. What are the famous saying in your group?
<SNIP>

I was playing the Tomb of Horrors (I think?) at my FLGS a few months ago. I guess there is an archway that changes genders, or something. The dwarf went in. One of the other plays said, "Our dwarf dude went in there, and now he's not a dude anymore."

Plus, see my sig.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads