• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Menace Manual and Dark Matter

Pagan priest

First Post
With Urban Arcana and now the Menace Manual, is there any background/flavor left in the Dark Matter campaiogn sourcebook for Alternaty that have not been brought forward? It looks like I could get a copy of DM for $18, but I would be using it as a resource for d20 Modern.

Basically, what I am asking, for anyone who has read DM and is familiar with the Menace Manual, is there anything other than say, the Hoffman Institute and the explanation of dark matter left to use?

Dismas

First Post
Pagan priest said:
With Urban Arcana and now the Menace Manual, is there any background/flavor left in the Dark Matter campaiogn sourcebook for Alternaty that have not been brought forward? It looks like I could get a copy of DM for $18, but I would be using it as a resource for d20 Modern.

Basically, what I am asking, for anyone who has read DM and is familiar with the Menace Manual, is there anything other than say, the Hoffman Institute and the explanation of dark matter left to use?

There is a bunch of other organisations, true history of the world, the interaction between the races and a chunk on running modern day conspiracy games.

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
Dismas said:
There is a bunch of other organisations, true history of the world, the interaction between the races and a chunk on running modern day conspiracy games.

And...

Very good DM advice.

Lots of story hooks related to different places, organizations, and individuals.

jonrog1

First Post
I second that. The boys did a great job on the "how to run this" gig, and the two -- TWO -- introductory adventures gave two great tonal options for a campaign.

Drak*Matter is still one of the best setting books ever published. Period.

Friadoc

Explorer
:cool:

Yeah,

...hands down, the Dark*Matter main book, as well as all the other books and pdfs, are more then worth the effort to pick-up.

Dark*Matter is, hands down, the best looking book I've ever owned, I personally think that CoC d20's 'look' is a direct descendent of Dark*Matter, even though the actually Lovecraftian material is, by far, older both as a mythos and an RPG (original CoC).

The main Dark*Matter book is chocked full of chunky genre goodness and, rules aside, is still a viable game, especially with d20 Modern, if you have the setting material.

I've owned all of it for quite a few years and even if I'm ticked, at times, at WotC for canning it, I'm not ticked at the setting.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
I agree whole heartedly. The true history of the earth is worth the price in my opinion. I spent more than $18 and I am not dissapointed despite the game being cancelled.

Besides, the truck stop adventure is a hoot.

Buy it!

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I believe the DarkMatter setting book is the highest quality game book ever produced. If there's one better, I have yet to see it. You won't be disappointed in picking it up.

Munin

First Post
I picked up my copy off the used book shelf at my LGS.
Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

The updated creatures in Menace Manual will save me some elbow grease, but it seems WotC has forgotten how to make a true campaign setting.

Kesh

First Post
Also, keep in mind that you can pick up a PDF copy on RPGnow for about $5 USD. Of course, it's a 40 meg download, but you can then cut and paste to make your own setting/rulebook with the d20 Modern SRD if you wanted. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads