• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mercenary PrCs?

Rayston

First Post
Anybody know of any Mercenary PrCs?

I am running a fighter that I try to portray as having a very "mercenary" attitude. He is Lawful Neutral, and while he wont do ANYTHING for money, he has no qualms about walking away from a fight he is not being paid to take part in. ( Even if it would mean saving lives etc. ) if he has no personal stake.

He does have some delusions of Grandeur in that he would like to eventually lead his own mercenary company, but he doesnt have that high of a charisma so he may never get to do that. ( although I do plan on sinking most of my attribute bonuses into charisma to reflect that desire, screw minmaxing him )

I kinda like the Warmaster PrC class from Sword & Fist but in addition to it being a little cheesy and a tad overpowered ( a free castle!, ...!2! free castles???) and the problem with many of its abilities being charisma based its not quite an exact fit.

I could just stay with straight fighter, which may be exactly what I do, but I was just wondering if there was a class out there that covered this concept. I guess my vision of it would have some leadership type abilities, inspiring troops and such ( like the warmaster class ) some gather info type abilities to find the next job, some sort of tactical abilites to reflect a more "war" like mindset rather than just a "fight" mindset. that kind of thing

Thanx

Rayston

Reprisal

First Post
The Warlord

I'm not sure if this is a great help, but there's a Prestige Class in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide by the name of Warlord. I'm not certain that it's much of a mercenary Prestige Class, but if you can take a look at it, the Warlord may be a good choice...

Reprisal

First Post
It seems by the example of the Warmaster that he's more interested in a Mercenary Captain type of character, which, I guess, could warrant its own Prestige Class, no?

jollyninja

First Post
quintessential fighter, officer of war comes to mind, i could probably list a couple homebrewed ones that are campaign specific but somewhat adaptable if you wanted to look them over. though for power, they are not as good as warmaster of officer of war.

i preffer warpriests myself but to each their own.

LostSoul

Adventurer
The Leadership feat (grab somebody with high Cha; you can be the mysterious leader that only shows up when you need to lay the smack down) and a high Diplomacy skill could do pretty much what you want.

That being said, you might want to pick up a level of Rogue and dump your skill points into Diplomacy. At least +8 for one level, and your cross-class cap is removed.

Well, the Cosmopolitian (Diplomacy) would have been nice, but that`s to late now, I guess, but you could still take some ranks in it as cross-class. (You do not really need a high skill, you don`t want to be a great negotiater.)

For PrC, I don`t know any fitting ones. Maybe Fighter/Rogue will be enough for it. Perhaps add some Ranger levels for some other skills (Wilderness Lore and Track seems to be useful for Mercanaries...)

chatdemon

First Post
The Soldier class (from Sovereign Stone) could work well with this concept, especially if you have formal military service as part of your background.

As for Prestige Classes, the Mercenary Captain from AEG's War is perfect, to qoute that book "He usually cares nothing for nations, beliefs, or causes, only his coin purse and patron are important to him (in that order).

lord irial

First Post
A player in my game plays a very similar character (LN Fighter with a merc concept); his eventual goal is the Warlord PrC from the Kalamar Player's Guide. I highly recommend it.

Rayston

First Post
Hmmm, interesting Ideas.

I hadnt thought of taking Rogue for the skillpoints. It has some "mercenary" type skills as well, could totally play off Sneak attack as just mercenary "dirty fighting", and your right the skillpoints would be usefull for all those diplomacy skills.

Thanx for all the suggestions for the PrC's ill have to look those up.

Remove ads