[merged] Archery: the films have it wrong

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Really, who truly expects authenticity from the movie industry? I don't. How many horses are Arabians in any movie with horses featured, that isn't in Arabia. If a movie depicts pre-Crusader knights, they shouldn't be riding Arabians, rather horses normally found in Europe. How often do you see 15th century armor being worn by a crusader knight - I almost never see knights in chainmail in any movie depicting a knight. Anachronisms is an expectation in any historical film depicting anything more than a few centuries in the past. You want authenticity, build yourself a time machine, because you'll never see true authenticity at the box office.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really, who truly expects authenticity from the movie industry? I don't. How many horses are Arabians in any movie with horses featured, that isn't in Arabia. If a movie depicts pre-Crusader knights, they shouldn't be riding Arabians, rather horses normally found in Europe. How often do you see 15th century armor being worn by a crusader knight - I almost never see knights in chainmail in any movie depicting a knight. Anachronisms is an expectation in any historical film depicting anything more than a few centuries in the past. You want authenticity, build yourself a time machine, because you'll never see true authenticity at the box office.

Did you mean to reply to a different thread?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Did you mean to reply to a different thread?

No, the thread title specifically calls out "the films have it wrong", and I was simply stating... duh, its the film industry, who almost always gets authenticity wrong. I was just pointing out beyond just archery, socalled historical films get horses wrong, armor wrong, as just 2 more of the million ways the film industry cannot create an historically authentic film, unless its very recent history, and they often screw that up too.

Ryujin

Legend
No, the thread title specifically calls out "the films have it wrong", and I was simply stating... duh, its the film industry, who almost always gets authenticity wrong. I was just pointing out beyond just archery, socalled historical films get horses wrong, armor wrong, as just 2 more of the million ways the film industry cannot create an historically authentic film, unless its very recent history, and they often screw that up too.

Which is true, and all well and good, but some of the things that they say the film industry got wrong, it actually got right.

Ryujin

Legend
Many films strive for authenticity (at least some state they do), but getting "some things right" doesn't equate authenticity.

Of course it doesn't, but I'm talking about the claims in the video. Claiming that movies got things wrong, that are actually correct from a historical aspect, doesn't help the video's pedigree.

Remove ads