• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] Candlekeep Mysteries Author Speaks Out On WotC's Cuts To Adventure

In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited. Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the username PoCGamer on social media). Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited.

hqdefault.jpg

Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the usernames PanzerLion and PoCGamer on social media).

Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like. The adventure was reduced by about a third, and his playable race -- the Grippli -- was cut. Additionally, WotC inserted some terminology that he considered to be colonialist, which is one of the things they were ostensibly trying to avoid by recruiting a diverse team of authors for the book.

His complaints also reference the lack of communication during the editing process, and how he did public interviews unknowingly talking about elements of an adventure which no longer existed.

"I wrote for [Candlekeep Mysteries], the recent [D&D] release. Things went sideways. The key issues were that the bulk of the lore and a lot of the cultural information that made my adventure "mine" were stripped out. And this was done without any interaction with me, leaving me holding the bag as I misled the public on the contents and aspects of my adventure. Yes, it was work-for-hire freelance writing, but the whole purpose was to bring in fresh voices and new perspectives.

So, when I read my adventure, this happened. This was effectively the shock phase of it all.

Then I moved onto processing what had happened. ~1300 words cut, and without the cut lore, the gravity of the adventure, and its connections to things are gravely watered down. Also "primitive" was inserted.

Then the aftermath of it all. The adventure that came out was a watered down version of what went in, that didn't reflect me anymore as a writer or creator. Which flew in the face of the spirit of the project as had been explained to me.

So then I wrote. Things don't change unless people know what's up and can engage with things in a prepared way. So I broke down the process of writing for Wizards I'd experienced, and developed some rules that can be used to avoid what happened to me."

He recounts his experiences in two blog posts:

The author later added "Wizards owns all the material sent in, and does not publish unedited adventures on the DM Guild, so there will be no "PanzerCut". I have respectfully requested that my name be removed from future printings. "

Markh3rd

Explorer
See, this is really interesting because I don't believe their decorations had any of that: they were just like, crab parts or something? But there's a cultural idea of what "primitive decorations" implies given years of seeing it movies, books, TV, etc. You ask just about anyone and I'll bet they'll say something similar. But it's also exactly why the author wanted to avoid it, because it creates a certain implication about the cultural development of the Grippli.

Hm. Have they done that sort of after-the-fact editing before? Honestly curious.
I was just using that as an example. I feel the description could have been more, well, descriptive and let me learn about this particular grippli culture. So yeah maybe crabs were used in all their decorations, tell me more about that.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is that where it comes from?!

not from what I have read
It's not what I have read either. You often see it related to sports, where your team lost. You got your butts kicked and you're upset about it, and are therefore butthurt from the butt kicking you took.

Here is what The Advocte has to say, "the term “butthurt,” while occasionally used in a homophobic context, “is only as old as the late 1990s, in reference to spanking an unruly child,” and Bigham believes that renouncing the term based on a few homophobic trolls adopting it “would be irresponsible linguistics and irresponsible history.”"

So @DM Magic , The Advocate disagrees with your view on that word as well. In an article denouncing "language policing" like that. If they feel like that, then I feel like I am on fairly safe ground.

I was just using that as an example. I feel the description could have been more, well, descriptive and let me learn about this particular grippli culture. So yeah maybe crabs were used in all their decorations, tell me more about that.

No, I get it! I'm not trying to rip you or anything, just that the first thing you went to was the longstanding image we get from pop culture. It's just really instructive to the problem with how the language is loaded and why the author wanted to avoid it. It's a good example of the cultural headwinds that are at work here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This person has zero grounds to be butt hurt.

Mod Note:

The possible origin of the term aside, I already warned this thread about tone. You have failed to recognize that this means you should keep your rhetoric... better than this.

Keep it respectful, folks, or you will be removed from the discussion.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I now have a feeling that some of the "X doesn't make sense" or "WOTC can't be coherent" issues that I've seen in the past are a result of editing.
Oh, absolutely. I already suspected Waterdeep Dragon Heist got butchered in the edit - now I’m all but sure of it. There have been other times I’ve noted minor continuity mistakes in various published adventures that seemed like artifacts of older drafts. I’m pretty convinced now that this happens because whoever they have doing their playtesting only wants very straightforward adventures with clear, easy to follow critical paths and few to no branching options.

Hm. Have they done that sort of after-the-fact editing before? Honestly curious.

Errata, at least, are incorporated into DND Beyond, though it's not always 100% up-to-date, IMX. The Basic version of Contagion is the three-saves version from some of the earliest errata, for example. Goliath from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion now lists cold resistance as an ability, which was added when Curse of Strahd was updated.

I don't own Curse of Strahd on DND Beyond, but it wouldn't surprise me if those changes were incorporated.

"I'm not saying you're fat. I'm just saying the dress makes you look fat. It's not the same thing! I'm blaming the dress!" -- Man digging his own grave
It's funny--I gave you a "laugh"! But it's more like, "You're not fat, but yeah, the fat suit obviously makes you look fat."

"You aren't primitive, but your makeshift, ramshackle, temporary structures are primitive. Don't be mad!"

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Errata, at least, are incorporated into DND Beyond, though it's not always 100% up-to-date, IMX. The Basic version of Contagion is the three-saves version from some of the earliest errata, for example. Goliath from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion now lists cold resistance as an ability, which was added when Curse of Strahd was updated.

I don't own Curse of Strahd on DND Beyond, but it wouldn't surprise me if those changes were incorporated.
The playable-Goliath text in physical-print Rime of the Frostmaiden also has Cold Resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads