• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MERGED -- "Dragons: Worlds Afire" ad causes horizontal scrollbar

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Screen stretching

I was wondering if others were having problems with the forum and threads getting stretched by the 'Dragons Worlds Afire' banner ad. Took me a while to figure out that I only had to scroll right to read an entire line when that banner ad was up. I am assuming that only those using 800x600 Resolution are affected by this.

Just wondering what was up with this abnormally large banner ad.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Good news - ENworld is getting banner ads from WotC. Woo Hoo!

Bad news - they need to be able to specify the size of their ads, which is introducing the dreaded horizontal scrollbar for many of us. I'm currently asking in the staff forum about potential workarounds that could be considered, but can't promise anything.

I'll let you know if I hear anything more

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Thanks for the quick responce and information.

Not that I normally buy WOTC products anyway, but annoying me by having to scroll or hit reload to find another banner isn't enticing me to buy the book.

I will say the banner has achieved its goal of making me notice it, though. :lol:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Thanks for asking, I was wondering this myself. It seemed random, and I never even noticed the banner ads.

Guess I'm not very good at being anyone's target market.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Couldn't you move the banner over to the left a bit, there seems to be room between it and the ENWorld logo. Or simply not show the ENWorld logo when you show the WOTC one? I have to say, this renders the forums almost unusable.

Alternatively, do you have an address at WOTC we can complain to? Perhaps if they hear of people who will stop buying their products because of their intrusive ads, they will be more reasonable...

der_kluge

Adventurer
Thanks for pointing out the cause. I'm using a computer other than my own, and thought it was just a quirk of this PC.

Make the bad ad stop! It's driving me crazy.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
what's most annoying for me is that you have to actually click in the window to use the scroll-wheel.

Mercule

Adventurer
Very sharp ad. Too bad it horks up the site interface. I was actually just popping into this forum to grouse about this issue, specifically.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads