• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MERGED: How do you say the site name? / What's with Eeee Ennn World?

How do you say EN World?

• "EE EN" like the seperate letters

Votes: 220 63.0%
  • "N" like the Ennies

Votes: 129 37.0%
  • A different way / I never say it

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Like "cow" not like "crow"

Votes: 21 6.0%

nato

First Post
el-remmen said:
Neither is incorrect, but I say "N-world". Like I said in another thread, if the acronym is pronouncible, then pronounce it.

That idea makes sense, but I do not think it is true. If it were, the United Nations would be the Un. I would be living in the oosa (USA), and our intelligence would be the seea (CIA). Maybe it is case by case, but I think whether the letters are capitalized is a good clue.

Torm

Explorer
I say Eee N World, in part because Henry introduced me to the site and that's how he says it, but aside from that, I would say it that way anyway in honor of Eric Noah. If you say it any other way, it is either out of understandable and correctable ignorance, or because you willfully fail to honor Eric for his contributions to the gaming community in creating and, for a while, maintaining this board. In my humble (yeah, right) opinion. ;)

I do understand and somewhat sympathize with the whole "you say lay-zer, not L A S E R" argument, but it fails in the regard I just mentioned - neither light, nor amplification, nor stimulation, nor emission or radiation, as nonsentient things or processes, deserve to be particularly honored for their roles, or are capable of being slighted.....

Oh, and while you may choose to say it any way you want for any other campaign world, in the Forgotten Realms, it is definitively Drow as in cow, not as in crow. There is a pronunciation key in one of the old 2nd edition FR sourcebooks that was written by FR creator Ed Greenwood, and that pretty much locks that up, as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

(And to clarify in case my tone reads as agressive rather than merely persuasive, I don't feel strongly enough about any of the above to get in a ring over it 'er nothin' - I just wish to strenuously present the cases for my positions. ;) )

Greylock

First Post
Torm said:
I say Eee N World, in part because Henry introduced me to the site and that's how he says it, but aside from that, I would say it that way anyway in honor of Eric Noah. If you say it any other way, it is either out of understandable and correctable ignorance, or because you willfully fail to honor Eric for his contributions to the gaming community in creating and, for a while, maintaining this board. In my humble (yeah, right) opinion.

Suck up.

Well, I suppose you have a point. Like I said, at first I went searching for "Ian's World", and when I couldn't find it, my friends told me that it was E.N. and what the letters stood for. So, I'd heard of the darling young lass before I ever even visited here.

Torm

Explorer
Greylock said:
How am I a "suck up"? He doesn't run the board anymore, so he has no direct power to reward or punish whatever my sentiment is. Unless ... you refer to the idea that the people who now DO run the boards (and in doing that work would have the greatest right to an opinion on the subject) would probably agree with my sentiment - possibly even more so than I mean it.

It isn't sucking up when it corresponds with exactly what I really believe. I'd think it should be pronounced the way I said, for the reasons I said, even if the mods kicked me off for saying so.

OTOH, being a suck up, Brainy-Smurf-like smart-aleck would be to point out that name-calling is against the rules here, and Papa Smurf always says you shouldn't be doing that. :p :lol:
Greylock said:
So, I'd heard of the darling young lass before I ever even visited here.
"darling young lass".... What?! :D

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Funny, I've always thought is was pronounce like in "EN GARDE!" :lol:

I've met at least ten other EN Worlders, each of whom pronounced it the same way I do, "N World".

This "Ian" World on the other hand can be found right here. :D

ssampier

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
You know, i saw that and immediately thought 'Neutral Evil World". :eek:

And I pronounce it Eeee Ennn World.

Evil Lord Garland says that is also acceptable. Assuming you bring fresh baked cookies.

Attachments

• garland.gif
    garland.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 80

Henry

Autoexreginated
Female Bearded Dwarves pronounce it "Eee En World," just so you know. Jerry Jyjax says so, and that's good enough for me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hobo said:
Actually, it is a bit of a leap of linguistics. Since both 'b' and 'm' are voiced labials, it's much more difficult to try and pronounce them together than 'b' and 'n', since 'n' is an unvoiced labial. Two voiced labials back to back would be very unusual in the "natural" linguistics world.

Hunh hunh. You said 'labial'.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads