• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [MERGED] Various crossbow/dual-wielding threads

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Crossbow, yes, if it was already loaded. I can't see why not. Bow...er...I suppose...if by "attack" you mean try and hit the guy over the head with your bow, sure. Otherwise, I see no logical way to shoot a bow with just one hand.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

W_K

First Post
Shields state that they are carried in one hand, so you would only have a single hand free. Longbows, shortbows, light and heavy crossbows all have the two-handed property which means they require two hands to use, so no they could not be fired while using a shield. You could, however, wield a dart, sling, blowgun, net, or hand crossbow and still use a shield. There are also some one-handed thrown weapons which I have not mentioned.

Paraxis

Explorer
Just a note on the hand crossbow and the loading property, it never says it needs two hands or a free hand to load. So hand crossbow and shield is a valid combination.

maritimo80

First Post
Crossbow HAND !!!!

The hand crossbow has LIGHT property and can be used with one hand. But the rule of Fighting with two weapons he always speaks melee Attack.

With this, they were some issues.

1 Can I use two crowwbow hand, one in each hand?
2 Can I use a crossbow and a shield?
3 Can I use a crossbow and a short sword, one in each hand?
4 Can I reload a hand crossbow carrying a weapon or a shield in the other hand.

The Oficial RULES:

Two-W e a p o n F ig h t in g

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light
melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can
use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee
weapon that you’re holding in the other hand. You don’t
add your ability m odifier to the damage o f the bonus
attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either w eapon has the thrown property, you
can throw the w eapon, instead o f making a melee
attack with it.

Light. A light w eapon is small and easy to handle,
making it ideal for use when fighting with two weapons.
See the rules for two-weapon fighting in chapter 9.

W_K

First Post
You might want to look into the crossbow expert feat. Part of it reads:
When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.

Since a hand crossbow is itself a one-handed weapon, this feat would let you dual wield crossbows.

Paraxis

Explorer
You want to take the crossbow expert feat.

With that you can use a hand crossbow in your off-hand and attack with say a rapier in your main hand.

Because this doesn't fall under two-weapon fighting you get to add Dex mod to the damage of the crossbow attack.

The feat removes the loading property from the crossbow and the disadvantage for firing while in melee.

This is a great build for human rogues at first level.

There is no rule saying you have to have a free hand to reload the hand crossbow you just do.

raleel

Explorer
Nothing in crossbow expert says you have to be using ANY other weapon other than the hand crossbow. The way it is worded allows you to shoot the hand crossbow, reload it, and shoot the hand crossbow again, as the hand crossbow is itself a one handed weapon

was

Adventurer
Unfortunately, this edition does not yet have options for various different types of shields. The only type of shield that might work in this situation is a buckler. I couldn't see you wielding a medium-sized or tower shield with a bow without it greatly affecting your aim.

Remove ads