• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Merged WotC setting search winners/losers thread

King_Stannis

Explorer
why not....
====================================

Core Ethos Sentence

Loom is a wondrous land, where a diverse and devout people must rely on mettle, magic and divine faith to endure savage threats from without and fanatic perils from within.

Who are the heroes?

The heroes of this land are the just priests of the one true god Waan, battling against extremism in their own order and the influences of the corrupt and evil god Lawaan. The heroes of Loom are also swashbuckling swordsmen who inspire the masses by standing up to tyranny. Other heroes are all but forgotten by many, such as the elves and dwarves that protect the far reaches of the land from invasion. Fortune-seeking adventurers can become self-styled heroes, garnering great wealth and fame by exploring ancient wonders that permeate the landscape. Lastly, the giants of Perpagos must use their great strength and guile just to survive.

What do they do?

The Central Church of Waan wages a constant war with both weapons and words against the violent fanaticism of The Austere Order of Waan. The Swords of Freedom engage in a different battle, fighting the forces of King Or’Kez, tyrant of Helios, in a brutal guerilla war. The brave but beleaguered elves and dwarves in the northern land of Elor are fast friends that fight together against the marauding armies of Truk. Finally, a once proud race of giants must atone for past sins while subsisting in an unforgiving, bleak wasteland.

Threats, conflicts & villains

The icy continent of Truk poses the biggest external threat to Loom. Vile humanoids attack across narrow, frozen straits in the deepest winter months. So far, the elves and dwarves have pushed them back each time. But the invaders seem to have an endless supply of soldiers and are dogged in stealing the enigma of Elevated Magic, a secret found only within Loom. King Or’Kez of Helios is the villain who poses the most serious threat to the internal stability to the land. He is a brutal despot that has invaded his neighbors, embraced The Austere Order of Waan, and stamped out all freedoms in his land. Or’Kez has also allied with Harran, putting that island’s renegade sorcerers in his fold. A bickering alliance of free states has failed to remove Or’Kez from power. Lastly, the Austere Order of Waan poses a more insidious threat. Their priests are experts in twisting words and conducting fearsome witch-hunts, with the ultimate goal of imposing a strict theocratic rule upon the land.

Nature of magic

Loom is a mid-level magic world. There are some in the land that are born with the ability to cast low level arcane spells. But to learn the riddle of Elevated Magic and become an Ordained Warlock, the candidate must ascend one of the three Towers of Arcalos – each of them a mile high - and pass a series of grueling antediluvian trials. Once there were six of these towers, now only three remain. One tower soars in a free city while another pierces the clouds in the verdant land of Shamarad. The elves and dwarves of Elor protect the final tower from the humanoids of Truk. Sorcerous magic exists on the strange isle of Harran, and is greeted by most Loomians as evil. Waan and Lawaan, the gods of Loom, provide all of the spheres necessary for clerical magic.

What’s new? What’s different?

Loom differs from the bulk of fantasy worlds in its treatment of religion. Rather than having another pantheon of gods, Loom has but two. And while it might be easy to shape the conflict between Waan and Lawaan in terms of good and evil, the frailties of the people in this land have made things more complex. Followers of Waan battle not only the vile worshippers of a dark god, but must also contend with fanatical elements in their own faith. This setting is unlike others by its treatment of elves and dwarves, too. No longer the sprightly forest-inhabitants and grumpy mountain-dwellers, they are grizzled allies fighting a lonely and desperate war on a blood-soaked tundra. The world of Loom is different from others by its sheer sense of scale, as well. There are a number of spectacular monuments that lend a real sense of awe to this land. For example, there is an entire city that was inhabited by giants before their exile ages ago. Its architecture is both colossal in scale and breathtaking in beauty. There are also the three, mile-long Towers of Arcalos that fell thousands of years earlier, full of arcane mystery and danger. Sights like these will inspire players to explore and DM’s to create. Finally, the giants of this world have a rich history of their own, which has been hinted at. Loom will give players the option to use giants as a character race.

HeavyG

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: WOTC Setting Losers (Like me) Post here!

Wulf Ratbane said:

You have to wonder what kind of arbitrary things they settled on to get them through 11,000 submissions...

"Grammar... TOSS."
"Spelling... TOSS."
"Flying Island... TOSS."
"Waterworld... TOSS."
"Use of the word GRITTY... TOSS."
"Mind Flayers... TOSS."

You forgot...

"Printed in 7 points characters... TOSS."
"No margins... TOSS."
"Usage of l337-5p34k... TOSS"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You have to wonder what kind of arbitrary things they settled on to get them through 11,000 submissions...

Going by the emails I've bene getting with people's settings for the archive, I can tell you onw.

If the % is the same generally, AV and co didn't have nearly as bad a time as they're pretending. :) -- approx 5% of the people sending settings to me are able to follow the remarkably simple instructions I gave. So I imagine that WotC threw out a massive percentage before they even looked at them.

Eduardo_Sauron

First Post
My (loser) proposal

Well, folks, I hope you enjoy it more than those WotC guys did, hehehe.

Blight Sight

1. (Core Ethos Sentence): A world where the eyes reveal the shadows hidden in one’s very soul.

2. (Who are the heroes?)
Vlad, a brave and loyal young dark paladin of Halcax, deceased god of domination, obliged to join arms with bitter enemies to save the world. (Race: Human)
Khill’ Watty, a beautiful female necromancer, whose heart is torn apart between love and desire for ultimate power. Her final decision can save the world…or destroy it. (Race: Human)
Juntis, a brave and loyal young paladin of Seltor, god of hope and protection. He and Khill’ Watty are in love with each other, but none acknowledges it. Although he despises Vlad and what he stands for, Juntius respects the dark paladin for his bravery. (Race: Human)
Vanya, an experienced female mercenary captain. Accepting money for what seemed to be a simple mission of reconnaissance, she ends up leading a band of youngsters trough world-shattering events, and finding out that she cares for some of them much more than she would ever wanted. (Race: Human)
Meltien, an elven rogue who swore to hunt and destroy undeads, since his sister was killed and turned into a ghoul. He’s always joking around, but that’s only his way to shield his true emotions. (Race: Elf)
Tsepis, a druid who might sacrifice his sacred bond with the land in order to save it. He is Meltien’s younger half-brother, and worries for his obsession. He and Juntis are old friends. (Race: Half-Elf)
Eltamenorptakin, an old (even for gnomish standards) cleric of Jembat, lord of metal and stone. Almost blind, he hires Vanya’s mercenary company to guide and protect him in what seemed to be only a minor reconnaissance mission in a broken keep, abandoned for decades. He is talkative and cheerful, and likes Meltien for his demeanor, although he can see right trough it. (Race: Gnome)

3. (What do they do? ) The heroes described in (2) (Vlad, Khill’ Watty, etc.) discovered by sheer luck the plot woven by the quasi-divine archlich Kmesh’ Irad to awaken Hematos, the vampiric god of hunger. Now they must put aside their squabbles and find the scattered remains of Seltor, god of hope, shattered by Kmesh’ Irad when the archlich launched the “Blight Sight Curse” upon the world. If they can restore Seltor before Hematos awaken, the world might stand a chance. Unfortunately, they do not know Khill’Watty’s intention of betraying their quest in exchange for power.
Player characters may discover some part of Kmesh’ Irad’s plan, and act against it. Or they can stumble upon one of the shining, crystalline remains of Seltor, without knowing what they just found. Or they can simply struggle to put an end to the conflicts and prejudices brought by the Blight Sight Curse…or take advantage from it.

4. (Threats, Conflicts, Villains): The archlich Kmesh’ Irad is probably the main villain of the world. Unable to die, even by his own hand, but desiring his own demise, he wants to awaken Hematos, god of hunger, who will destroy all creation (including the lich). He sees it as poetic justice, since he was the one responsible for Hematos turning into a vampire, millennia ago. The Shadow Sight Curse he unleashed is an instrument to seed hatred , prejudice and war. Slaughter, despair and the sacrifice of Seltor remains will finally awaken Hematos.

5. (Nature of magic): Arcane magic is a force of nature, as the wind or the change of seasons. All spellcaster classes can harness it normally, as in core D&D rules. The same applies for divine magic. The “magic level” of the world can be described as ‘standard’. Psionics exists, but they are very rare (although there are no arcane spellcasters at the Island-Nation of Guayter. Only divine spellcasters and psionics).

6. (What’s new? What’s different?): The Blight Sight Curse is what makes this setting unique. Kmesh’ Irad designed it to affect the whole world, and it did. Anyone who have evil alignment (L/E, N/E, C/E) is easily recognizable, as their eyes are always filled with pitch-black darkness. They can see normally. The curse have been in effect for fifteen years. People have already figured it effect. Great crusades and persecutions to free the world from evil begun. The Curse is called “Seltor’s Sign” by the people, as they thing it is benign.
But it is not benign. The curse betrays all evil and violent thoughts. Anyone with even a fleeting bad mood would find himself possessing the blighted eyes until his mood subsides. Also, anyone who ever killed an intelligent creature for any reason but self-defense fall prey to the curse (but, as in the case of evil people, the eyes are forever pitch-black). So, many innocents were sacrificed and wars that should never happened begun.
Many people were deemed “evil”, as in some places even minor displays of blight eyes are considered a sign of true wickedness.
Only powerful illusion spells or a gruesome ritual designed by Hematos priests can hide the Curse’s effect for a while, but any mean to do so should be temporary and costly.
As Kmesh’ Irad used stolen divine power to weave the Shadow Sight Curse, it is possible that it would endure even if the Archlich were destroyed.

Chromnos

First Post
One face among the thousands-

Oesha was developed to support the writing of my novel- Luthiel's Song. Sending it in as a campaign setting was a lark. The benifit of this was that it introduced me to this online community- of which I am happy to be a part.

After seven years of hard work, the development of an elven runic system, the splintering of the first novel into three and the development of a world when all I set out to write, at first, was a short story, it has become more of a labor of love than of anything else- My Jungian toybox.

I'm sure the many among you who have written and developed campaigns for personal or shared enjoyment would understand my sentimentality.

I'd be happy to hear any feedback you would be willing to pose.

-C

Copyright 2002, Robert Fanney

Core Ethos Sentence
Oesha is an eldritch world, with an epic fantasy theme, where the characters confront terrible monsters born of their own nightmares and wield power sprung from the seed of their dreams.

Who are the heroes
Luthiel is an elf from the Winnonowe (pronounced WIN-NON-NOH), a forestland surrounding the dark and ancient Vale of Mists. Love and compassion for her friends and family motivate her. When hard choices come to those who cannot bear them, she lifts the burden with smiles. Good intentions being what they are, she finds herself facing near certain death as she journeys to the ancient stronghold of the Vyrl—the perilous Vale of Mists.

Vanye is a Blade Dancer who has taken the oath of loneliness. Separated from his past by a duty he chose long ago, he must forever walk the razor’s edge between the light-filled, living world of Oesha and the dreadful world of Gorothoth.

Eros, stripped of his soul by a Reaver, must bargain with the dying Dragon Faehorne to secure his place in this world and the next.

Melkion, the dragon son of Faehorne, is charged with the terrible task of saving his father—which means manipulating those he cares for most.

Finn O’Malley is the ancient guardian from another age, a powerful wizard who keeps Oesha’s deepest secrets and guides the heroes with a sometimes firm, sometimes gentle, hand.

What the Heroes Do
Luthiel journeys to the Vale of Mists in the place of her sister. Normally a death sentence, Luthiel's journey takes her through the Cave of Painted Shadows and to the Vyrl themselves who, seeking to divest themselves of a lethal addiction, gift Luthiel with the power of three ancient and divine Magics: the Sensing, the Eversong, and the Dreaming. With these new-found powers, Luthiel comes to learn that Oesha is under dire threat. A piece of the dark moon, Gorothoth, has broken off and is falling on Oesha. Luthiel must rally the other heroes and gain support from the provincial and prejudiced humans to face the falling darkness.

The Nature of Magic
The magic of Oesha is the direct result of dreams. All creatures who dream have an effect on the magic of Oesha. An example of this is the fabled Cave of Painted Shadows. Those who enter are confronted with two dreams- the dream of death and the dream of change. For most, it is enough to inspire terrible nightmares, wretched fears. The fear, in turn, awakens to life on the chill surface of the black moon Gorothoth where it searches endlessly for the Lilani that will bring it to Oesha. There are three types of people who can use magic: those who confront their dreams and understand them, those whose dreams are touched by the divine, and those who unlock their secrets through discipline and study. Respectively, the forms of magic are Minos (the magic of the self– known as sorcerory), Mythos (divine magic), and Logos (the magic of forms, known as wizardry).

Threats, Conflicts, Villians
The dark moon Gorothoth is a constant threat. It is a visible scar to the heavens during both day and nighttime. In the day, it stains the blue sky with a black smear, at night it blots out starlight where it passes. To look on it for too long, some say, is to tempt madness. From Gorothoth comes abomination. Abomination comes in the form of Reavers, Lin-Reaver, Morlok and those they corrupt such as the Widdershiel, and Deadwalkers. There are also trolls from the angry red moon called Cauthras and their lesser kin, goblins. Dragons populate Oesha as well, but they are rare and powerful, like a hurricane and volcano in one. Sith of the Dark Forest range the land seeking sacrifices of blood and silver to offer up to their feral Lord Chromnos, whose name must not be spoken. And finally, there is Zalos who was the first to trade his heart for what gifts the Dark moon would grant him. For this reason, he is also known as the betrayer. All the abominations of Gorothoth fall under his growing dominion.

What's New, What's Different?
The world of Oesha is a place like no other. It is a place where elven kingdoms are estranged and separated from their human kindred and where mystical swordsmasters known as Blade-Dancers protect where armies have failed. Eight moons and two suns populate its sky at high summer, during deep winter only the dark orb of Gorothoth is visible. Oesha's forests are filled with the gentle light of flir-bugs and the ruins of the Vyrl's ancient empire dot the land. Mystical pools called Lilani periodically become alive with magic, allowing transport across Oesha and to and from her moons. Oesha is a world of epic tension, forever in the throes of conflict, which springs from the horrors and hopes of dreaming hearts.

tarchon

First Post
Re: Re: Hey, is it just me....

Rune said:

The idea of dream settings is not uncommon (I'm working on Jaldaen's Nevermore, right now, for instance), but usually they look at dreams from the outside in. That is, characters can enter dreams and they can leave them. What sets The Dream appart is that characters do not enter or leave ever-- they are part of The Dream. That is to say that the setting is a look at dreams from the inside out. You don't see the game from Alice's perspective-- you see it from the Cheshire Cat's perspective, instead. Naturally, this is a very cerebrial setting to run-- and quite challenging; it was certainly not what WotC was looking for. I knew this, but had to enter anyway.
[/url]

I was interested in a dream/reality conflict theme mainly because it's never really been done effectively in an RPG that I've seen. I monkeyed with it a little in a White Wolf Wraith game (the game that was designed to be so disturbing you would only want to play it once - it worked), and I know there's some good potential there with reasonable mechanics. Also, as I said in my What's New/Different section, I think there's a streak of it in the current Zeitgeist waiting to be turned into a cool game.

Of course, it could have been something really new like a medieval world of sexually trimorphic 4-dimensional fluorine-breathing flying ammonites, but there has to be a balance between originality and enough familiarity that people might have some prior interest in it.

I think from WotC's POV, the real target for this project should be something that does mine a largely untapped theme while blending with their mainstay medieval fantasy business. I have a suspicion it will probably end up being Forgotten Dragonhawk with the names changed, but you never know.

Ghostwind

First Post
Those interested in the dream/reality aspect of gaming should take a look at Mystic Eye Games' The Hunt: Rise of Evil. I think you may find it will fit what you are looking for. A very well written setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads