Merry Christmas! Here's Two Free Books!

It's Christmas! I hope everybody has a wonderful time. There won't likely be much news over the festive period, but I wanted to offer a free gift to those who are kind enough to swing by EN World over Christmas. If you're a fan of science fiction or fantasy RPGs which aren't D&D, I have attached PDFs of the character creation sections of both N.E.W. and O.L.D. from the WOIN (What's OLD is NEW) roleplaying game system - a lifepath based d6 system which enables you to create a wide variety of characters, and mix and match different genres as you wish. These will only be here over the Christmas period, so grab 'em quick! And if you create a character, post it in the comments. I'll send a hardcover of the full NEW game to my favourite.

It's Christmas! I hope everybody has a wonderful time. There won't likely be much news over the festive period, but I wanted to offer a free gift to those who are kind enough to swing by EN World over Christmas. If you're a fan of science fiction or fantasy RPGs which aren't D&D, I have attached PDFs of the character creation sections of both N.E.W. and O.L.D. from the WOIN (What's OLD is NEW) roleplaying game system - a lifepath based d6 system which enables you to create a wide variety of characters, and mix and match different genres as you wish. These will only be here over the Christmas period, so grab 'em quick! And if you create a character, post it in the comments. I'll send a hardcover of the full NEW game to my favourite.

full_lineup.png

Download [WOIN] Fantasy Careers and [WOIN] Future Careers!

For more info, see www.woinrpg.com
SaveSave
SaveSave

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So this is a workup of my main character on a Star Trek cooperative writing game. It doesn't use dice or stats or anything, so I thought it might be interesting to see him worked up in this system. He's a bit more advanced than this in the game currently, but I think it turned out well.

Name: Ashley “Ash” Michael Danrisa
Species: Human
Homeworld: Earth (City: +1 Cha, +1 End, Diplomacy)
Size: Medium
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 180 lbs
Descriptor: A young, suave Human intelligence officer who is lucky with the ladies.

ATTRIBUTES
Str: 3 (2d6)
Agi: 7 (3d6)
End: 4 (2d6)
Int: 6 (3d6)
Log: 5 (2d6)
Wil: 7 (3d6)
Cha: 10 (4d6)
Luc: 7 (3d6)
Rep: 2 (1d6)
Psi: 1 (1d6)

SKILLS
Bluffing 1 (1d6)
Chicago 1 (1d6)
Computers 1 (1d6)
Concentration 1 (1d6)
Diplomacy 1 (1d6)
Dodging 1 (1d6)
Empathy 1 (1d6)
Flirtation 1 (1d6)
Gambling 1 (1d6)
Interrogation 1 (1d6)
Law 1 (1d6)
Leadership 1 (1d6)
Piloting 1 (1d6)
Pistols 1 (1d6)
Psychology 1 (1d6)
Running 1 (1d6)
Telepathy 1 (1d6)

MOVEMENT
Speed: 6
Climb: 2
Swim: 2
Zero-g: 2
High-g: 2
Jump: 14’/3’
Initiative: 3d6
Perception: 3d6
Carry: 70 lbs
Actions: 2
Natural Damage: 1d6+2 Blunt

ATTACKS
Phaser pistol: 4d6 (2d6+2 Heat; Range 15; sidearm, stun setting, beam
Unarmed: 3d6 (1d6+2 Blunt)

DEFENSES
Melee Defense: 14/18 if double move (running)
Range Defense: 14/18
Mental Defense: 14
Soak: 0
Health: 19

EQUIPMENT
Phaser pistol 2 lbs

LIFE PATH
1. Origin: Talent (13 years)
2. Academy (Basic Training)(3 years)
3. Academy (Command School)(3 years)
4. Intelligence Officer (2 years) Rep check 14 vs 10 promoted to Lieutenant
5. Intelligence Officer (3 years) Rep check 7 vs 13, no promotion

Total Careers (Max dice pool): 5

PSIONIC POINTS: 10

EXPLOITS AND TRAITS
Hook Attribute: Cha
Species
Varied: Add 2 to one other attribute (Cha), and add 1 to a third attribute (Wil)
Explorers: Gain XP equal to your grade every time you set foot on a planet new to you.

Career
Empath: You can sense strong emotions in those with whom you converse.
Basic Training: Piloting, computers, law, psychology
Command School: Rank: Lieutenant, junior grade (Cha check 21 vs 13), leadership, +2 Rep
False Identity: You are able to create a false identity, complete with background records, in one day. This identity is good enough that people can look you up on various databases, and the details will match.
Dodge: You gain the effects of cover from ranged attacks when in the open as long as you move at least 10’ this turn.

Free
Aim: +1d6 bonus on ranged attack roll taken in the same turn.
Dive for Cover: If a ranged attack misses you, you may immediately move half your speed and either throw yourself prone or get behind cover if it is within range. This is a free action.

Trait
Suave: Once per day, a Cha vs Mental Defense attack can be used to stun a target until they shake off the effect.

Young: Once per day, when rolling a dice pool, you may declare it to be an exploding dice pool. Any 6s you roll can be rolled again and added to the total until you no longer roll a 6.

BIOGRAPHY

Ash Danrisa bio

WEALTH: 220cr

EXPERIENCE POINTS: 0

Last edited by a moderator:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Thanks Morrus. I really have intended to check this out and now I will.
I have loved all previews and the art. That pic of the races alone is so cool.

You're right - the SPEED and CLIMB should both be 6, the NATURAL DAMAGE should be 2d6+3, and the Battleaxe damage should be 3d6 +3.
(If I had the Equipment section, I would have gone with Greataxe and Heavy crossbow.)

Here is the idea I came up with - there may be a little bit of math issues. I went over it, but this was done for fun. :)

Name: Cal Smith
Species: Human
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 165 lbs
Descriptor: An alert human scout who is fascinated with technology.

ATTRIBUTES
Str: 6 (3d6)
Agi: 6 (3d6)
End: 5 (2d6)
Int: 7 (3d6)
Log: 5 (2d6)
Wil: 6 (3d6)
Cha: 5 (2d6)
Luc: 9 (3d6)
Rep: 2 (1d6)
Mag: 2 (1d6)

SKILLS
Religion 1 (1d6)
Climb 1 (1d6)
Running 1 (1d6)
Healing (magical) 1 (1d6)
Acrobatics 1 (1d6)
Martial Arts 2 (1d6)
Chess 1 (1d6)
Perception 1 (1d6)
Tracking 1 (1d6)
Pistols 2 (1d6)

MOVEMENT
Speed: 6
Climb: 3
Swim: 3
Zero-g: 3
High-g: 3
Jump: 10'/7'
Perception: 3d6
Carry: 60 lbs

ATTACKS
Phaser pistol: 4d6 (2d6+2 Heat; Range 15; sidearm, stun setting, beam
Martial Strike 4d6 (2d6+3)

DEFENSES
Melee Defense: 14
Range Defense: 14
Mental Defense: 14
Soak: 0
Health: 34 (cinematic variation)

EQUIPMENT
Phaser pistol 2 lbs

LIFE PATH
1. Origin: Wiz Apprentice
2. Warrior Monk
3. Human Paragon (Eons 26)
4. Marine Tour
5. Scout/Special Forces

EXPLOITS AND TRAITS
Hook Attribute: int
Species
Varied: Add 2 to one other attribute , and add 1 to a third attribute
Explorers: Gain XP equal to your grade every time you set foot on a planet new to you.

Career
Mag Apprentice: Prestidigitation
War Monk: Iron Fist
Human: no Exploit
Marine: Get on with it:
Scout: hostile Terrain.
Free
Feint +1d6 bonus on melee attack roll taken in the same turn.
Trip: trade 2d6 for trip chance

Trait
Alert: Do not lose access to ambush turn when opponent has access.

Spell - Heal Self 1d6, 2 MP, 2 actions.

Background - Cal came from a classic "fantasy world" - he had limited magical aptitude, but after apprenticeship, found that he would never be a full mage both from talent and interest. He used his self discipline and focus to join a group of monks. Then his world changed - the classic "evil overlord" was destroying the world - and he was rescued by a marvelous ship full of wonder.
he spent the next few years getting accustomed to his new world (the human paragon career). With his talent in close combat, he joined the marines, and after one tour qualified for force recon.

Notes on story/build reasons and planning. Has he stayed on his homeworld - he would have taken Elemental fist for his next career exploit. Should the character actually be played it will happen in the future. He will alternate that with the scout career. If the N.O.W rules are in force, he would learn martial arts and utilize the ch'i system - Primarily Gun Fu and Gun Kata to merge his hand to hand with his pistol training.

His Cha is purposefully average - coming from a strange world like none have heard of makes him a bit of an outsider. He can interact without being really awkward, but he is not really proficient in subtle interaction. His prestidigitation is a major bit of flavor that makes his very much his own character around others of similar skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baylin

Villager
Here is my original character... hopefully the math is correct. Let me know what you think.

Name: Daktora M’bogen the Ghosttalker

Species: Venetian
Homeworld: Venusius (Volcanic: +1 AGI, -1 STR, Dodging)
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 170 lbs
Descriptor: A youthful, feeble Venetian psychic ghost talker who is obsessed with death in all forms.

ATTRIBUTES
Str: 3 (2d6)
Agi: 6 (3d6)
End: 4 (2d6)
Int: 7 (3d6)
Log: 6 (3d6)
Wil: 5 (2d6)
Cha: 4 (2d6)
Luc: 2 (1d6)
Rep: 1 (1d6)
Psi: 8 (3d6)

SKILLS
Bluffing 1 (1d6)
Clairsentience 1 (1d6)
Computers 1 (1d6)
Concentration 3 (2d6)
Criminology 1 (1d6)
Dodging 1 (1d6)
Escape Artist 1 (1d6))
Law 1 (1d6
Martial Arts 2 (1d6)
Meditation 1 (1d6)
Pistols 1 (1d6)
Perception 1 (1d6)
Psychology 1 (1d6)
Piloting 1 (1d6)
Reactions 1 (1d6)

MOVEMENT
Speed: 9
Climb: 5
Jump: 12’/3’
Carry: 70 lbs
Natural Damage: 1d6+2 Blunt

ATTACKS
Pistol, blaster: 2d6 (2d6 Heat; Range 10; sidearm)
Unarmed: 1d6+2

DEFENSES
Melee Defense: 10
Range Defense: 10
Mental Defense: 10
Soak: 4 (Mesh Lining Armor)
Health: 16

EQUIPMENT
Pistol, blaster (3 lbs)
Mesh lining Armor (vulnerable to blunt weapons, 8 lbs)

LIFE PATH
1. Origin: Novice(14 years)
2. Prisoner (5 years)
3. Academy (Command School) (3 years)
4. Psychic (4 years)
5. Psi-cop (3 years)

PSIONIC POINTS: 10

EXPLOITS AND TRAITS
Hook Attribute: INT
Species
Naturally psionic. A society which integrates psionics from childhood, Venetians start play with one free psionic exploit.
Acute hearing. Venetians have excellent hearing, and gain a +1d6 bonus to INT checks when sound is relevant.
Learned. Venetians start with four species skills rather than three. The bonus (fourth) skill must be a [scientific] skill.
Disciplined. The mental discipline of a Venetian is such that they are completely immune to the weary condition, and other tiredness conditions affect them as though they were one category less as long as they get 8 hours sleep per week. This is not a preferred situation, however.

Psionic Exploits
Precognition (requires PSI 4). Your natural precognition gives you a +1d6 per 4 PP bonus to INITIATIVE checks as well as checks to access the ambush turn. This does not cost an action, and the PP are spent when the INITIATIVE check is made.

Career
Confidant: Being brought up in a monastery has given you a certain perception. You can discern a lie through a mix of intuition and experience. You gain a +1d6 bonus to discern lies and deceptions.
Prison tough: You are mentally and physically toughened. Each time you go to prison you gain a permanent +1 bonus to your DEFENSE and MENTAL DEFENSE.
Basic Training: Piloting, computers, law, psychology
Ghostly advice: Once per day you may receive advice from “ghosts” (really lingering consciousness artifacts) which gives you a +2d6 die bonus to the next attribute check you
make within 1 minute.
Speak-with-dead. You have the ability to interrogate a dead body which has been dead
for less than a day. It will truthfully answer three yes/no questions with no PSI check needed.

Free
Aim: +1d6 bonus on ranged attack roll taken in the same turn.
Psi-blast (requires PSI 4): You can use an action and make a PSI vs. MENTAL DEFENSE attack to blast an opponent with a mental burst which does 1d6 +1d6 per 4 PP psionic damage and has a range increment of 10’.

Trait
Feeble. You are physically weak and frail, which has taught you the value of brains over brawn. Once per day you may use an LOG check in place of a STR check and accomplish your goal through cunning and ingenuity.

Young: Once per day, when rolling a dice pool, you may declare it to be an exploding dice pool. Any 6s you roll can be rolled again and added to the total until you no longer roll a 6.

BIOGRAPHY
Daktora M’bogen started off life as many Venetians do, in a monastery called the Holy Order of All Seeing.. At the age of 14, the monastery was attacked by space bandits, and all but Daktora was killed. Daktora, a quiet, thoughtful youth, was taken by the bandits and forced to be their new shipboard dogsbody, doing whatever menial chores he was assigned while living under constant verbal and physical abuse from the bandits. After 5 years in hell, the bandits were caught by the Earth Federation Navy and sent to prison. A kind officer named Nemrod took pity on Daktora and sponsored his application to the Naval Academy where he excelled. Physically weak from his years of eating scraps and bad nutritional supplements, Daktora developed his native Psychic abilities. After 3 years at the academy, Daktora found he had a talent for speaking with ghosts. He fell in with a traveling space carnaval and became Daktora the Ghost Talker. The circus eventually closed down, and Daktora found himself alone again. Nemrod, now working for a planetary police force in his retirement, again took Daktora under his wing and got him started as a Psi-Cop.

Daktora is obsessed with death, having seen his entire monastery murdered. He still talks to the old monks ghosts, who give him advice from time to time. Daktora dresses in black, and has wears small skulls from animals on a necklace. He is an odd Venetian, as he is not a pacifist, and embraces death in all forms.

WEALTH: 10 cr

EXPERIENCE POINTS: 0

Remove ads

Remove ads