Meta D&D Campaign

Reynard

Legend
[NOTE: Cross post from RPG.net for anyone who frequents both here and there.]

I am a ways off from actually running the game, but I want to get started on world building and sandbox filling now.

My idea is very roughly: this is a D&D world and everyone (players and their characters, anyway; maybe literally everyone)knows it. It want to go ahead and lean into Player Knowledge and D&D Tropes and the like, while still making it a fun experience that has the same capacity for drama and meaningful experience as a "normal" D&D campaign.

There are a couple of options as a baseline that I see off the bat. First, there's the "players are transported into their D&D campaign world by their wizard DM" a la The Guardians of the Flame (but with less rape). Or the adjacent D&D Cartoon setup. I kind of like the idea of people off playing a D&D LARP that turns real as the setup, but that's neither here nor there at this early stage.

Another thought is something I remember some poster coming up with (I wish I remembered who to give proper credit): There IS No Dungeon, in which the campaign tuns out to be like the 3rd iteration of the Matrix or whatever. Leveling and powers and spells and all the rest are a function on mastery over the Matrix and your monsters and big bads are AI. Plus there's the potential for some side fun in the "real world" hiding from squiddies and the like (for which i would use an entirely different game system, perhaps something FATE related).

Finally there's the set up that the players are playing players playing the game, like a Knights of the Dinner Table RPG or something. You don't play you, you play Bob The Power Gamer who plays a Paladin Warlock or whatever.

So the first part of this is: do you have any other ideas on what sort of initial conceit will support a very meta-D&D campaign? Have you ever played such a game or something close to it? Do you have recommended reading or viewing? Thanks!

Maybe they are in a akasha demiplane, like a copy or parallel earth created by the collective subconscious (the past as it is remembered, not how really happened). And there are "intrusions" from other "ideaverses"

Voort

Explorer
Why not run it like Order of the Stick? There are still heroes and villains, but they are all aware of RPG mechanics like levels and perception checks. It would preserve some drama inside the fourth wall.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
There was an anime (and novel series the anime was based on) that had a similar conceit (instead of D&D, its a fictional MMORPG). The protagonists (PCs) are players of the MMO that have their consciousness transported to the MMO setting and use the game ruules to their advantage when dealing with monsters, NPCs, and each other. Nothing award-winning or must-see, but it's a fun ride and might serve you as a bit of inspiration.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I have a Ready Player One-stye campaign that I'm curious about trying. The premise is it's the 100th anniversary of D&D and there's a VR D&D competition to tackle classic dungeons from the origins of D&D (TftYP take a bow :) ). The players would have a "real world character", a "VR character", something around Level 14-15 but styled in whatever outlandish way they want in case the adventure switches into dealing with stuff outside of the competition (spoiler, one of the other teams cheats the PCs out of a victory :) ). And a "D&D character" that starts at level one and comprises a member of the competing adventuring party.

I'm sure it would fall apart quite quickly, but I really like the concept. Soundtrack provided by:

[video=youtube_share;CcoO4XTCMDc]https://youtu.be/CcoO4XTCMDc[/video]

Mort

Legend
Supporter
[NOTE: Cross post from RPG.net for anyone who frequents both here and there.]

I am a ways off from actually running the game, but I want to get started on world building and sandbox filling now.

My idea is very roughly: this is a D&D world and everyone (players and their characters, anyway; maybe literally everyone)knows it. It want to go ahead and lean into Player Knowledge and D&D Tropes and the like, while still making it a fun experience that has the same capacity for drama and meaningful experience as a "normal" D&D campaign.

There are a couple of options as a baseline that I see off the bat. First, there's the "players are transported into their D&D campaign world by their wizard DM" a la The Guardians of the Flame (but with less rape). Or the adjacent D&D Cartoon setup. I kind of like the idea of people off playing a D&D LARP that turns real as the setup, but that's neither here nor there at this early stage.

This seems an easy way to do it.

If you want to throw in a twist, the players transfer consciousness to existing personalities within the world and the transfer isn't "perfect."

Can manifest in ways such as people constantly expecting the characters to do stuff which they can't actually do yet (they came in at too low a level). Nice excuse to go adventuring.

Or they players keep meeting people they should but don't recognize.

Or just play it straight - that works too.

Another thought is something I remember some poster coming up with (I wish I remembered who to give proper credit): There IS No Dungeon, in which the campaign tuns out to be like the 3rd iteration of the Matrix or whatever. Leveling and powers and spells and all the rest are a function on mastery over the Matrix and your monsters and big bads are AI. Plus there's the potential for some side fun in the "real world" hiding from squiddies and the like (for which i would use an entirely different game system, perhaps something FATE related).

I like this option.

Lets you introduce lots of elements under the guise of a crazy game designer/AI whatever. Plus you can play with the crazy fast leveling up of D&D and be a bit tongue in cheek about it (power ups etc.).

Also you can really play with things here. If the players are breezing through, suddenly monsters have more hit points, better stats etc. You can even have a ghostly voice say "Switching difficulty to hard mode." Or conversely if they players are having a hard time you can have a ghostly (contemptuous) voice ask if they need a downward adjustment in difficulty.

And, as you say, you can represent the "real world" differently such as fate or Shadowrun etc.

Finally there's the set up that the players are playing players playing the game, like a Knights of the Dinner Table RPG or something. You don't play you, you play Bob The Power Gamer who plays a Paladin Warlock or whatever.

So the first part of this is: do you have any other ideas on what sort of initial conceit will support a very meta-D&D campaign? Have you ever played such a game or something close to it? Do you have recommended reading or viewing? Thanks!

Could be fun, though, seems like, in practice, this would play as the most "normal" of the 3 options.

Just a thought.

Satyrn

First Post
The megadungeon in running is built on video-games and pop-culture references, using maps from Borderlands 2, monster NPCs that respawn like in Shadow of Mordor, Marvel's Thor as a god, etc.

Nobody's bothered to do any actual 4th wall breaking like Deadpool does, but it would totally fit in without problem.

Is this close to what you're looking for?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In a game (not D&D, but fantasy) I played in once, one PC had the ability "Speak with player". As far as the character was concerned, the player was some higher being with no physical presence, and who spoke in lots of arcane terms he didn't understand, but who was correct about a lot of things.

It started out as being goofy, and slowly became a bit more... religious. Though the character came to believe things, he stopped short of worship.

So, there's an angle for you - the players are gods, the characters are their devotees.

You can then start layering systems - a variant of Nobilis for the gods, and D&D for the PCs....

Remove ads