[meta] How often do you update your story hour?

How often do you update your story hour?

• Everyday.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Every other day.

• Every three to five days.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Once a week.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Once a fortnight

• Once a Month

• Whenever I can, but that's not very often

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • What story hour? I don't write a story hour.

Votes: 6 21.4%

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
At the moment I post every day while I'm catching up to the current position of the storyhour.

My campaign is run once a month, and I try to write up a summary in time to post the entire thing to the players before the next session. It normally takes 3-4 evenings to write up the summary, longer if I have let more time go past before starting. This isn't full-time writing of course! It is just that with a young family I only get about an hour an evening for writing, if that.

I prefer to post my storyhour in bite-sized chunks, so it doesn't look too intimidating for those willing to give it a look, so one session might be posted over a period of a month at the rate of about once per 3 days (I haven't ever actually caught up with real life yet, so I don't know how the synchronisation will actually work there yet!)

Cheers

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm posting about 3 updates a week, but my Story Hour has the unusual situation (rather like Sagiro's did early on) of being updates from games already concluded.

Things will change a bit once we get around to posting info from the soon-to-start new game. It will be the first time I've updated from current sessions, and I don't really know how that will change things.

Right now, I'm posting about 3 updates per session's worth of play. I expect that will remain similar once the games start back up, and I hope to update soon after the game - we play every other Sunday, from 1pm-9pm. So at that point I expect to be updating once or twice a week (roughly).

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I update when I can.

It could be three times the same week and it could be once in a month.

But my SH is fairly new, so maybe I'll have a pattern later on.

kenobi65

First Post
We play roughly once per month, so, now that I've got all of the backlog posted, that puts my posting frequency at once a month, by default.

Generally, it takes me about 60 to 90 minutes to write up the notes from the previous session. I use what I'd written up to prepare for the game as a starting point (particularly for long bits of plot exposition). Writing up the notes is the first part of the monthly writing cycle for me -- I feel that I've got to get my mental palate "cleansed" by noting what happened in the prior game, before I can really get the writing for the next session in full swing.

BTW, what I post here in Story Hour are those notes, which means they aren't always written to be stylistically beautiful -- their primary purpose is to keep the players (and me) aware of what has transpired in the game. We start each session with me reading (or paraphrasing) the prior session's notes -- with 3-5 real-world weeks passing between each session, doing this really helps get the players back into the game.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I was some four sessions behind in updates, which is just shameful. I'm catching up on that, which is why I've been posting every day. I have another five updates planned over this week and next week, and that should get me fully caught up.

I've noticed that shorter updates are easier to read, and more popular, than longer writeups. As a result, each game session will now take up perhaps two or three updates. That didn't use to be the case.

We play every two weeks. Thus, if I plan for two updates per session, I'll soon be posting once a week. :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I try to get two in a week - but they take me a long time - so I really fall between my own poll choices - let's say 3 every 2 weeks.

My installments are often 7 to 10 pages long in MS Word and are usually about 1/3 of an entire session.

I just finished posting Session #21 and we just played Session #26. .. I doubt I will ever catch up - unless all the PCs die.

Remove ads