• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[meta] New name for the reviews page?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Given the new scope of the reviews page, I don't think that calling it the "reviews page" really gives people the right idea of what it is.

It combines the role of the d20 System Guide (soon to be phased out) and the old reviews page. It also does a few things that neither of those did before.

Take a look at it: http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp

Now, bear in mind that a) it is not yet finished and b) there is a massive amount of data entry to be done. But you can get the general idea.

Now, for an example of a publisher with (comparatively) complete info entered, take a look at the WotC page: http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=publist&which=Wizards+of+the+Coast

As you can see, products are organised by product line/release date. Available products are marked as available and future products are given their release date.

The only product from WotC that has been filled in completely so far is the Player's Handbook (http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=PHB). If you click on it, you'll see the info page for that particular product. As you can see, this page contains:

-Cover image
-Official "blurb"
-A box containing aditional info, links, errata etc. If a product has not yet been released, this box will contain scoops and links to previews (for a rough, incomplete example, I added some info to the d20 Modern page (http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=d20m) so you can see what I mean).
-Links to all reviews here at EN World.
-A box with links to external reviews.

So, as you can see, the system now performs the function of a guide to existing and upcoming d20 products, reviews of those products etc. etc.

If I call it "d20 Reviews" people will just think it's a reviews page. If I call it the "d20 System Guide" people won't realise that reviews are present. "d20 System Guide and Reviews" is a bit too long.

Any thoughts?

(BTW - remember it's not yet finished - you're welcome to post suggestions etc.)

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'm not creative enough to come up with a new name. :p

I really like this layout. It gives space for everything I'd want in a product i'm looking to buy, and it's easy on the eyes - except for the bright red title bar. Perhaps a softer color? On the same topic, perhaps the blue "rulebook" and "286 pages" could be changed to an easier color to read on the black background.

Specific issues (PH only)
Background - will it really use the Eric Noah wallpaper?
Picture - why is the scan of the cover so blocky?
PHB - the abbreviation changed to "PH" in 3E.
Link to buy - goes to the DMG screen, not the PH screen.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
CRGreathouse said:

Specific issues (PH only)
Background - will it really use the Eric Noah wallpaper?
Picture - why is the scan of the cover so blocky?
PHB - the abbreviation changed to "PH" in 3E.
Link to buy - goes to the DMG screen, not the PH screen.

Those are all just data entry issues. Before the old d20 Guide is phased out, I will make sure that all data is correct. Right now all the data is hastily entered for example purposes. For the moment, it is of a lower priority than design/functionality.

The "data entry phase" (for want of a batter phrase) is a massive job. I'll be devoting time to it in a few days. Eric has kindly offered to help in that area. :)

I agree about the red bar, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm also considering implementing a mimimum review length. I want the system to be use for useful, detailed reviews not for random comments.

My intitial thought is a min, lenght of 600 character (even that is fairly short). That way, if some puts a short, useless review in, the system will say "C'mon, you don't seriously call that a review, do you?"

It won't magically make all the reviews high quality, but it will help to cut down on the really pointless ones. If someone wants to comment on a product, they can use the "comments" function. Or post on the messageboards.

It's odd that there are many comments that are far longer than some actual reviews.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
RangerWickett said:
What's wrong with d20 reviews? That's what it is, right?

Well, actually...no. That's the point. That's not what it is; that's just one of its functions. And the fact that you thought that that is what it was highlights even more the need for a name change.

:)

Moderators are planned, right?

If you wanted to cut back on moderators, perhaps you could include a validation feature.

Readers have an option to validate a review. If a review doesn't receive at least 5 (or whatever) validations it is removed after a month (or whenever).

d20Forever.com? Fantasticd20.com? Absoluted20.com? d20rules.com?

d20shamelessplugplace.com?

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads