[Meta] Story Hour Index (development)

Funeris

First Post
I think as long as there is a further description (i.e. saying approx. so many words per post), then that works fine.

Guess all I have to do now is send you my info ;)

~Fune

Makes sense...catagories work, but its probably a good idea to post those in the first post so everyone knows the guidelines being used.

Of course, I have to say that I'm horrible at eyeballing something like that, and also way too lazy. And if I feel like that, at least a few others probably will, too...so I'm really just trying to give you a heads up. I know for my updates, I try to post at least a page(10 font, Times New Roman) every update. That kind of thing might be easier to judge than word count.

Funeris

First Post
The problems with judging per page count are:

1. Formats differ from person to person. I use Times New Roman 12, double space in between every paragraph.

2. If you're style is heavy on dialog, light on other detail...and you're double spacing between paragraphs, then you'll easily make a page without utilizing that many words. So differences in style could throw that counting method off as well.

Personally, I think you're going to run into problems quantifing length using any method, but word count seems to have less inherent difficulties.

Just my 2 coppers.

~Fune

This is a really good idea. Perhaps what could be fine-tuned are the parameters for some of the variables.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Hour Title: Thread Title
Author: Author's Name
Number of Threads: (example as before, each links to the actual thread in question) 5
Links: Book I | Book II (part 1) | Book II (part 2) | Book III | Book IV
Setting: Homebrew (Homebrew Name), or Printed Setting Name
Started: Starting Date - Month and Year

***Number of Updates: The total number of story updates (does not include commentary, must include actual prose).

***Overview/Teaser: Provides a teaser of what's to come. An overview might be self-defeating for some readers.

Sample Reader Comment: Include any quotes and their author - up to a number of three?

***Subscribers: A list of posters who follow the story or provide regular comments. For those few SH's cherished by so many, a simple "Enworld" the simplest description.

Status: Either "Ongoing", "Dormant", "Finished" or "Abandoned". Abandoned could be too negatively connotative? However it might be suitable as it is better to make the reader aware not to expect anything more from a particular thread.

Average Frequency of Installments: [Only to be included for Ongoing Story Hours]
Highly Regular (Daily), Very regular (A few times a week), Regular (about once a week), Somewhat Regular (about every fortnight to month), Infrequent (about once a month to three months). If something has not been updated for three months, it goes into the Dormant category above. If it has not been updated for a year, it goes into the abondoned category. When an author notifies that a thread is complete, it is put in the finished category.

Average Installment Length: This is somewhat subjective but can be easily estimated. Concise (consistently less than about 1000 words), Standard (consitently around the 1000 to 2000 word mark), Extended (consistently between 2000 and 4000 words), Highly Extended (consistently over 4000 words. I suppose the best approach is to look through the thread and see how many words an average update has.

Available for Download? Includes any downloadable files.

***Writing Style: Choose one of the following styles: Character Log, DM Journal, Narrative (1st person), Narrative (3rd person, varying types which for the life of me I cannot remember; help please?). Additionally, it should be classed [general] if it is grandma suitable, [mature] if it has overt violence, swear words or adult themes.

Special: EG: includes things such as:
· “Portal Thread” (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=76999) provides links to all “Out of the Frying Pan” threads, and a glossary of NPCs.
· Rogue’s Gallery Thread (out of date)
· “The Story of Ratchis” (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=50757). Backstory for one of the PCs.
· “The Promised Land” (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=41733) now defunct Aquerra story hour by Rastfar.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Funeris

First Post
Hey Herremann,

Instead of "Abandoned", why not use "Hiatus". Just like on TV, they may be back...but its doubtful. I think it loses some of that negative connotation you fear.

And I love the idea of declaring the writing style. I wouldn't want my (or your) SH read by those not interested/definitely offended by mature themes.

Also, I like your Post length description as well. Good ideas all.

~Fune

Hi Funeris,

Hiatus is most likely too far at the other end of the spectrum, positively speaking. Part of me would wish to just call a spade a spade. If you haven't updated your SH in a year, chances are it's been let go. It might even encourage writers to say "hey, I'm still around, I'll update the thing so it doesn't cop the "bad tag".

"Discontinued" is perhaps the most neutral term I can think of at the moment.

And on a side note, boy you must have had some time off of work lately or a suddenly awakened condition of not needing sleep! If you keep it up, a new category of "prolific" will be required for the average frequency variable. I have printed out your story and so I'm trying to catch up but you are making it increasingly more difficult! I will provide a detailed post when I'm all caught up answering some of your writing queries. Good stuff so far though. :)

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

spyscribe

First Post
Herremann,

I like your qualitative measures for categories. Neat and easy to interpret. I have a couple comments I thought I'd throw in, mostly just trying to streamline. (I'm quoting from your post because I like the way you structured it, not because I'm trying to pick on your comments.)

***Subscribers: A list of posters who follow the story or provide regular comments. For those few SH's cherished by so many, a simple "Enworld" the simplest description.

With the reader comment(s) section as an opportunity to show-off a "back jacket" quote or two, does this become gratuitous? Also, anyone can click on the "number of replies" link on the thread to see who has posted to the story hour and how many times. *shrug*

Average Frequency of Installments: [Only to be included for Ongoing Story Hours]
Highly Regular (Daily), Very regular (A few times a week), Regular (about once a week), Somewhat Regular (about every fortnight to month), Infrequent (about once a month to three months). If something has not been updated for three months, it goes into the Dormant category above. If it has not been updated for a year, it goes into the abondoned category. When an author notifies that a thread is complete, it is put in the finished category.

I like your cut-off points for dormant and discontinued, but your scale sets a high bar with a lot of different "grades" for someone browsing to keep track of.

I'd say regular updates on at least a weekly basis probably qualify as "frequent." "regular" for threads updating 1-3 times a month, and "irregular" for threads that either update less than once a month, or that tend to go in fits and starts.

As an aside, to try to make things easier on the indexers, what if certain statistics could be left for authors or a regular reader to submit if they choose? Things like number, average length, and even frequency of updates.

I mean, those are nice things to know, but they also take a lot of time to figure out, especially if you're not already a regular reader of the thread. Outside indexers can fill in eventually for older threads whose authors might not be around the boards.

***Writing Style: Choose one of the following styles: Character Log, DM Journal, Narrative (1st person), Narrative (3rd person, varying types which for the life of me I cannot remember; help please?).

Are you thinking 3rd person limited vs. 3rd person omniscient?

The only thing I might add to the listing would be a place to note game system. I know that many readers scope through for modern, or science fiction, and finding those easily would seem to be useful.

spyscribe said:
Herremann,

I like your qualitative measures for categories. Neat and easy to interpret. I have a couple comments I thought I'd throw in, mostly just trying to streamline. (I'm quoting from your post because I like the way you structured it, not because I'm trying to pick on your comments.)
Hey, that's what this is all about. :)
Thank el-remmen for the organisation. I just copied what he did. It's one big pot with everyone having a taste before deciding to add more ingredients or reduce the heat.

spyscribe said:
With the reader comment(s) section as an opportunity to show-off a "back jacket" quote or two, does this become gratuitous? Also, anyone can click on the "number of replies" link on the thread to see who has posted to the story hour and how many times. *shrug*
Good point. By the way, I did not know about the number of replies link so thank you. In hindsight, this is most likely overdoing it a little. It is pretty unnecessary.

spyscribe said:
I like your cut-off points for dormant and discontinued, but your scale sets a high bar with a lot of different "grades" for someone browsing to keep track of.

I'd say regular updates on at least a weekly basis probably qualify as "frequent." "regular" for threads updating 1-3 times a month, and "irregular" for threads that either update less than once a month, or that tend to go in fits and starts.
Anything to simplify further is good. This would mean having the following description for update/status: Frequent, Regular, Infrequent, Dormant, Discontinued, Complete.

spyscribe said:
As an aside, to try to make things easier on the indexers, what if certain statistics could be left for authors or a regular reader to submit if they choose? Things like number, average length, and even frequency of updates.

I mean, those are nice things to know, but they also take a lot of time to figure out, especially if you're not already a regular reader of the thread. Outside indexers can fill in eventually for older threads whose authors might not be around the boards.
Good idea. When setting it up, perhaps a draft list could be put up for a few weeks with authors/regular readers requesting changes to be made. After this, updating is kept as a half-yearly event.

spyscribe said:
Are you thinking 3rd person limited vs. 3rd person omniscient?
They were the ones. :) I just didn't have my dictionary handy at work. Are there any other writing styles that could perhaps expand this list?

spyscribe said:
The only thing I might add to the listing would be a place to note game system. I know that many readers scope through for modern, or science fiction, and finding those easily would seem to be useful.
Good idea. While SHs could be broadly described as Fantasy/Science Fiction/Modern, I think some people would prefer to further stratify their specific world. How many different descriptions can you think of though to do this?
High Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, Celtic Fantasy, Generic Fantasy, World Fantasy, Historical Fantasy, Low Fantasy, etc... :confused: :uhoh:
There's a lot of categories if you try to dig around enough. Perhaps the way to do it is to describe this with first (a) the system used and (b)the specific style. For example, for my own story hour, it is D&D-High Fantasy. Again though, too many descriptions become redundant very quickly. Any thoughts?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Funeris

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
And on a side note, boy you must have had some time off of work lately or a suddenly awakened condition of not needing sleep! If you keep it up, a new category of "prolific" will be required for the average frequency variable. I have printed out your story and so I'm trying to catch up but you are making it increasingly more difficult! I will provide a detailed post when I'm all caught up answering some of your writing queries. Good stuff so far though. :)

:D I'll be waiting for your response, eagerly. I'm not sure the updates will slow down...I've had a little extra time recently...due to a bit of a bout with insomnia....but in all actuality, I'm just trying to keep up with the likes of Ankh-Morpork Guard and a few other SH authors. Those guys and gals that update once a day are impressive. That's what I want to be.

And um...as for other writing styles how about "stream of consciousness" as a type of first person? I don't think I've seen any pure stream of consciousness on here, but you never know what will pop up...especially if I continue not sleeping ;) .

Shemeska

Adventurer
Story Hour Title: Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour
Author: Shemeska
Number of Threads: Only 1
Links: Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour
Setting: Planescape (including FR, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, others)
Started: Feb '04
***Number of Updates: ... a lot?
***Overview/Teaser: All is not well within the House of Baern. The rise of a new Oinoloth heralds upheaval within the planes of Conflict, the slaughter of the impure, and treachery and deceipt from the depths of the Pit to the highest of the Upper Planes.

So tell me... what is it you want? For you see, that is the question that drives us.

Sample Reader Comment:
Ashy said:
"Shemeska - I do not know HOW I've missed this until now, but consider the hook FIRMLY planted in my mouth...

I AM SO HOOKED!"

***Subscribers: Shilsen, Gez, Ryltar, Dakkareth, demiurge1138, Fimmtiu, Primemover003, Clueless, Inconsequenti-AL, Zappo
Average Frequency of Installments: Regular (Weekly)
Average Installment Length: Highly Extended
Available for Download? Working on it
***Writing Style: Narrative, [mature] Sweet Jesus this is not grandma safe. Violence, sex, occasional gore. Not over the top just to be over the top, but I don't water down the actions or psychology of the fiends in my campaigns.

Specials:

Baernaloths of The Demented

The Dire Shepherd, Tellura Ibn Shartalan

Severeth Na’Halastrian, The Wanderer

Tarsikus Ibn Meth’kultesh, The Book Binder

'The Blind Clockmaker', Harishek Apt Thul'Kesh

Jezifreth Na’Harsindrian: The Inquisitor

Daru Ib Shamiq, 'The Lie Weaver'

The Proselytizer, Koristal Il Palinthiin

Other campaign associated fiction:

'The Heart of Perdition', a tale of 'love' between yugoloths. Backstory for Helekanalaith and Larsdana.

Last edited:

Remove ads