• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metagame Points

BenjaminB

First Post
Several other implementations of d20 use some kind of metagame point system to give players more juice when they want it- force points, action points, drama points ect.

I haven't used this with D&D 3E myself- though with great success in AD&D. Anyone play with it?

Further, have you used this method (or something similar) to give players some authorial control over the game? Allowing them to spend a point to make an event occor beyond the normal scope of their character's influence- finding a friend in an unfamiliar city, for example.

-B

Draugin

First Post
Several other implementations of d20 use some kind of metagame point system to give players more juice when they want it- force points, action points, drama points ect.

I haven't used this with D&D 3E myself- though with great success in AD&D. Anyone play with it?
Destiny points :)
Characters gain them as a reward and by flat leveling up. They are 2 + Cha mod. at each level, or 4 + Cha mod. for rogues and bards (I felt that these two classes should be more "lucky").

Usually they allow a reroll, but they also permit to do great deeds (if used before an important action, DP let them roll 3 times the dice and choose the result they want).

Further, have you used this method (or something similar) to give players some authorial control over the game? Allowing them to spend a point to make an event occor beyond the normal scope of their character's influence- finding a friend in an unfamiliar city, for example.
Not yet, but I thought about this. For now, they can use DP in special cases to do special things, but not to make that things happen. Maybe I'll let them in some cases, though.

Remove ads