Metagaming's Minigames as PDFs?

outlander78

First Post
Hello.

I have been reading "Designers & Dungeons" (great book) and am ending up with a mental list of 1970s RPGs and boardgames that I wish I had been alive to play back then.

Many of the classics are no available as PDFs. I have not been able to find Metagaming's Minigames however. I am particularly interested in "Ogre" and "Melee" from the series.

Do any of you folks know of a legal/legitimate source of PDFs for these games?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
O.G.R.E. might be available from Steve Jackson games- they still put it and G.E.V. products out s physical borgames/minis wargames last I checked.

And I believe Dark City Games has a system that is essentially identical to what used to be Melee/Wizard/ItL/TFT.

aramis erak

Legend
Hello.

I have been reading "Designers & Dungeons" (great book) and am ending up with a mental list of 1970s RPGs and boardgames that I wish I had been alive to play back then.

Many of the classics are no available as PDFs. I have not been able to find Metagaming's Minigames however. I am particularly interested in "Ogre" and "Melee" from the series.

Do any of you folks know of a legal/legitimate source of PDFs for these games?

OGRE and GEV (and Shockewave and the Reinforcements pack) are available from E23 last I checked.

Note that the only rules difference between those and the Ogre Minis system is that 1 hex=2"...

darjr

I crit!
There was a story about someone contacting him about his company and games and he wanted a lot of money, too much. But my memory of it isn't great and it was on the net.

aramis erak

Legend
There was a story about someone contacting him about his company and games and he wanted a lot of money, too much. But my memory of it isn't great and it was on the net.

It was originally mentioned in Roleplayer #1, in the GURPS designer's notes - Steve Jackson himself tried to buy back TFT from Howard, and howard Thompson wanted way too much... hence, he wrote GURPS from the same research and first principles.

But you may also be conflating the MegaTraveller DGP/Roger Sanger issue Marc Miller's been having since 1996... Roger has refused to sell, even tho in that case, Roger cannot use them himself (as they're derivative from Marc's works).

Remove ads