Metal School

Herschel

Adventurer
The Kiss guitarists are a weird subject. The Erics are/were far better drummers than Peter from a technical standpoint but while I liked Bruce, Ace was really good, when straight. I'm not a big fan of Tommy (Black & Blue or in Kiss) and I never liked Vinnie Vincent or Mark St. John's style (although they were good players).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Other BTWs:

1) When news of MJ's death started making the rounds, there were videos of him practicing for his tour, including one sequence with a blonde female guitarist.

The images weren't clear- at first I thought it was Jennifer Batten returning to support him on tour...a skilled axe-slinger, to be sure.

(MJ always did work with good guitarists.)

However, it soon became apparent to me that the player was too young to be Jen.

Recently, it was revealed who she is: a young guitar prodigy by the name of Orianthi Panagaris- an Aussie who worships the work and style of Carlos Santana...who respects her talent in return.

The tour was to be her breakout...but she should be releasing a solo album sometime this year- here are some clips.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDhV-xXDWsE[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXf8oJq049w&NR=1[/ame]

Oye como va!

2) It is official, Alice In Chains IS releasing a new album this year, and in an interesting bit of info, it has been revealed that Sir Elton John will be playing piano/keyboards on a track written in honor of Layne Staley. Apparently, he was somewhat of a fan.:confused::cool:

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Saw Chickenfoot tonight, and they didn't disappoint. They went through most of the album, plus an unreleased song...then did "Bad Motor Scooter," "My Generation" and a couple of others for giggles. Sammy even played pedal steel AND lead on "BMS"- you don't get to see Joe Satriani relegated to rhythm guitarist too often (though he did embellish his riffage with signature squeals).

The eye-opener was...well...the opener!

Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam simply rocked. DK is a young Brit who is definitely following in the footsteps of classic rockers of the 1970s, and his band is up to supporting him at every turn.

Here's a clip of them:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQFSK9Tw2w&feature=related]YouTube - Davy Knowles & Back Door Slam[/ame]

In other news, the re-formed Wolfmother should be releasing something soon.

WARNING! WARNING! NEW POST IS IMMINENT!

That's right shred-heads, the headmaster will be posting a new bit of history...and a review... of Anvil's new movie and latest album. If you are unfamiliar with who they are or why it matters stay tuned and find out. If you DO know who and why, as always, read and correct as needed.

Herschel

Adventurer
I missed Chickenfoot while they were in town, unfortunately. I really wanted to go but was already choosing between three events that day. I did see Sammy last summer at Moondance Jam and he was very good. Sebastian Bach......wasn't.

This year I saw Whitesnake (Great stage show and playing but Coverdale's voice is shot), Judas Priest (sounded great but Rob Halford's not as spry as he used to be) and Lita Ford (she lived hard for a while, retreated but still sounds good.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
I just bought myself a brand new guitar for my birthday...after buying a bunch of new pedals and such all year long.
Ooh, shiny! What is it?

Thought I'd cross-quote and sneak this question here, rather than start a new thread, which might have just ended up one question, one answer. And we can't have that. Not in this forum! :D

Hope it's not too wide of the thread subject proper. If so, kill me with an axe, natch.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ha! Are you an axe-man yourself?

My new baby is a Jon Kammerer Cored Body (in Cherry), strongly resembling one of these he's got on his website.
JKGhtml » Page 10 of 30

This gives me 4 of his guitars now- one of his top purchasers. (He mentioned an MD in Houston with 7...I must crush him!) Better than that, I happen to own a couple of his earliest ones: a "butterbean" prototype and a middling-deep Hollowbody that looks kind of like a Gibson SG.
"Butterbean" seen here right below the black Harmony Discovery strat copy.

And funny small world that it is, the day after I bought it, I noticed another one of his axes- a solidbody in a dark, curly walnut- hanging in the darkest corner of my local Guitar Center's Used Gear section...for just $1K! (The staff is trying to hide it so one of them can get it.:))

JKGhtml » Page 12 of 30

Its been hiding there for 4 months, apparently, and has generated some interest, but nobody's pulled the trigger.

If- and its a mighty big if- it doesn't sell to either a customer or a GC employee, it may just find its way into my harem in early 2010.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ha! Are you an axe-man yourself?
Not so much. I can play a bit, but it's not my weapon of choice (that'd be keys, mainly). But I certainly have known a few guitarists. :) One of my best friends for many a year, for example.

And. . . nice! Not a make I'm familiar with, but yep, they sure look shiny. I wouldn't be too surprised if they sound pretty sweet as well. Most of what I've heard 'in the flesh' has been kinda mainstream, unfortunately. I mean, not that some of those aren't good, but I always wanted to hear more of these instruments in the mix - small(er) business, labours of love, that kind of thing.

Heh, harem. :D Yeah, it goes like that. One guy I know must be starting up his own town, peopled only with electric guitars. . .

Ah, rambling. So yeah, I'm really a bit of a guitar newb :blush:, but basically I love music, and musical instruments, so I couldn't resist asking about your latest acquisition. I'll have to quiz a couple of the local friendly axe-wielding psychopaths on 'Jon Kammerer' - if they've even heard of them. Well known the world over?

Remove ads