Metalheads! Confess & Brag

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Never really warmed up to the Norse Death Metal scene...though I DO have a Bathory CD...

Anyone else here into Hawkwind or Budgie?

I remember both Hawkwind and Budgie, but by their stuff was (and still is) hard to come by in the part of the country I live in. I inherited a really badly scratched copy of Hawkwind's "Hall of the Mountain Grill" when I was in high school, but it couldn't even be played.

Nyaricus

First Post
Confession: I like all of the following bands: Alexisonfire, Billy Talent, Coheed and Cambria, My Chemical Romance and the Used.

Brag: here comes the fun part: A Perfect Circle, Amon Amarth, Apocalyptica, As I Lay Dying, Behemoth, Blind Guardian, Bloodsimple, Burn the Priest, Bury Your Dead, Children of Bodom, Coal Chamber, Cradle of Filth, Death, Demon Hunter, DevilDriver, Disturbed, Dope, DragonLord, dreadnaut (local band), Dry Kill Logic, Evanescence, Flaw, God Forbid, Gorgoroth, Impaled Nazarene, In Flames, JAW (local band but simply awesome), Kamelot, Killswitch Engage, Kittie, Korn, Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Linkin Park, Loco (split-up local band), Manowar, Marilyn Manson, Mastodon, Motograter, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Nargoroth, Nightwise, Nile, Opeth, Otep, Rammstein, Rhapody ("of Fire") Rob Zombie, Shadows Fall, Skinlab, Slipknot, Sonata Arctica, Spineshank, Static-X, StillVillage (another local band), StoneSour, Symphony X, The Berzerker, The Crown, Thine Eyes Bleed, Tool, Tribes of Cain, Unearth, Walls of Jericho, plus a bunch more I'm likely forgetting here.

I like death, groove, symphonic, power, black, melodeath, metalcore, nu, gothic, thrash, doom and industrial metal. I like pretty much all types of metal. Metal is awesome. Did I mention I like metal? :]

cheers,
--N

Chainsaw Mage said:
Hey, show some respect, son! Def Leppard and Van Halen are good friggin' bands.

Quiet Riot, Ratt . . . one hit wonders.
Sorry
QR - Cum on Feel the Noize, Metal Health, Mama were All Crazy Now, Wild & the Young
Ratt - Round n Round, You're In Love, Lay it Down, Back for More

All of these charted (to some degree)

As for me - yes I'm a metalhead

Brag - Metallica (Before Jason Newstead RUINED the group and they became Alternica), Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Sex Pistols, Anthrax, KISS (Before 'I was Made for Loving You'), Ozzy, Dio, Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Yngwie Malmsteen (w/ & w/o Rising Force), Talos, Aerosmith, Pretty Maids

Confess - Obviously Ratt, Quiet Riot, Winger, Bang Tango (I loved those guys), Trixter, Danger Danger, Electric Boys, Shark Island, Vixen (totaly Hawt!), Heart, Night Ranger (actually these guys were awesome before they got famous), Great White, Dokken, Stryper (did concert security for these guys in Germany), Beethoven, Motzart, Modern English, Depesche Mode, Alabama, Duran Duran, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, Journey (sorry honey), Hootie and the Blowfish, Dave Mathews and Charo (Koochie Koochie)

Blasphemy - I actually can't stand Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd anymore - They are in such HEAVY rotation in this area that I actually change stations when they come on)

Nyaricus

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
Blasphemy - I actually can't stand Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd anymore - They are in such HEAVY rotation in this area that I actually change stations when they come on)
That's okay, neither of those are actually metal anyways - Led Zep is simply rock, or hard rock maybe, and PF is more avant-garde progressive rock (with themes of psychedelic back before that). In any case, I've only ever heard The Wall by PF (and most of the times I've heard it it was the cover version by Korn) and while I own the first 4 Led Zepplin albums, I only like a handful of the songs - Stairway to Heaven, Ramble On, Good Times Bad Times, Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker. YMMV and all that ;)

cheers,
--N

kenobi65

First Post
I'm not really a metalhead, though my music collection has a fair amount of hard rock and metal in it (Led Zep, some AC/DC, some Scorpions, some Def Leppard, some Judas Priest). That said, my favorite bands include ELO and Yes, which is probably enough to make the hardcore metalheads here cringe. :D

My only metal "brag" is that my hearing loss is directly attributable to a heavy metal moment. Motorhead concert, December 1985, Madison Wisconsin. They played at "Turner Hall", which was fundamentally a gymnasium. My friend Mark and I stood about 25 feet away from the amps. I couldn't hear a thing for 2 days afterward, and, after that, I went from having very good hearing to being unable to hear a conversation in a noisy room.

Arkham

First Post
I have nothing to confess. I like all styles of music, and am quite happy with my Nina Simone, Nat King Cole, Prodigy, Johnny Cash, Ramones, Starship, etc...

I don't have much to brag about either. Just some Skyforger, Bal-Sagoth, Rudra, Therion, Nightwish, Mael Mordra, Vesperian Sorrow, Emperor, and Mangarm. My only real brag is flying 2,000 miles for the sole purpose of seeing Bal-Sagoth in their only US appearance to date at Heathen Crusade II. All the other amazing bands were just frosting on the cake.

Torm

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
Ratt - Round n Round, You're In Love, Lay it Down, Back for More
How about I Want A Woman, and Way Cool Jr.?

I'm SOOOO Metal. I like all that stuff by Winger and Warrant. :p

Nyaricus said:
That's okay, neither of those are actually metal anyways - Led Zep is simply rock, or hard rock maybe, and PF is more avant-garde progressive rock (with themes of psychedelic back before that). In any case, I've only ever heard The Wall by PF (and most of the times I've heard it it was the cover version by Korn) and while I own the first 4 Led Zepplin albums, I only like a handful of the songs - Stairway to Heaven, Ramble On, Good Times Bad Times, Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker. YMMV and all that ;)

cheers,
--N
Well, I would agree if you compare them to metal nowadays, but in retrospect, they were as heavy as they came in the late 60s early 70s. They are literally held up as the godfathers of metal around the world and I can see it, I'm just burnt out on it.

I've listened to all sort of stuff through my life, Classical, Bubblegum pop (50s-70s), Latin, Afro-Cuban, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Speed, Hardcore, Progressive (My absolute favorite genre), Punk (both original and new Emo style), Country (both Western and New), Traditional Folk (Irish, German, Scottish, English), Showtunes (No comments on my sexuality), Jazz (Fusion, Traditional and Experimental), New Wave, Disco (please don't kill me), Rap (back when it was break music), R&B (when it stood for Rhythm & Blues (I loves me some BB King)), Reggae (traditional), Barbershop Quartets and some other stuff that I really can't explain and would probably make your head explode.

I don't like Ska(new style), House, House Reggae, Modern R&B (how can it be Rhythm and Blues when it isn't blue and has no rhythm?) and Gansta anything (go home .50 before you get shot AGAIN)

xrpsuzi

First Post
Confessions....

I use to like Christian rock and thought it was jamming..... I was raised Southern Baptist and it was the "acceptable" rock & roll.

While we were dating, I use to make fun of Joe's metal collection, but then he introduced me to Maiden (Power Slave), and I was hooked. I'm still in metal re-education; last year on the drive to Gen Con, we listened to Judas Priest and King Diamond. :)

-Suzi

Remove ads