• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamagic rods + Infusions

Armadon63

First Post
Well basicly does a metamagic rod work with infusions? If it does and you use it with say greater weapon augmentation with a empowered rod, can you make the weapon have +7 or +8 weapon bonus and up to 300,000gp. Could have some interesting things go on with rods and infusions.

1. Empower only works on variable numeric effects. The level of enhancement you can apply with Artificer infusions is not variable, therefore it cannot be empowered.

2. Artificers may apply metamagic feats to their infusions just like any other caster-type. Thus, if you had an Infusion which could be empowered (like, say, Repair Light Damage), then you could likely empower it with the rod.

Armadon63

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
1. Empower only works on variable numeric effects. The level of enhancement you can apply with Artificer infusions is not variable, therefore it cannot be empowered.

2. Artificers may apply metamagic feats to their infusions just like any other caster-type. Thus, if you had an Infusion which could be empowered (like, say, Repair Light Damage), then you could likely empower it with the rod.

ah ok, thanks man. I thought since it said "up to" that ment it was variable.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Armadon63 said:
I thought since it said "up to" that ment it was variable.

The Empower and Maximize feats use 'variable' in the sense of 'randomly variable'.

I can cast Magic Missile at someone 10 feet away, or 50 feet away, or a hundred feet away. But that doesn't mean that the range can be Empowered. I have perfect control over the range... the spell travels exactly as far as I want.

Whereas I don't have control over the damage. I can't choose to do 2 damage, or 4 damage, or 5 damage; I do 1d4+1 with each missile. It's variable, beyond my power to prevent.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads