• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MetaMagic sorcerer

jason_gosse

First Post
I have a friend who wants to make a sorcerer and asked for help. I have not had much luck in the attempts i have made at a spellcaster. Here is my question:

Maximized fireball, a 3rd lv spell, will use up a 6th level spell slot. Will this eat up his casting for the day or his known spell? I believe myself that it is the casting, but I want to confirm this.

Thanks

Ilium

First Post
Only the casting. He still knows the 3rd level fireball spell as normal, but when he casts it maximized, it uses a 6th-level casting slot.

jason_gosse

First Post
Ilium said:
Only the casting. He still knows the 3rd level fireball spell as normal, but when he casts it maximized, it uses a 6th-level casting slot.

Thank you much i do sir.

*scratches head*

where did that come from.

Krafen

First Post
Some DMs allow Sorcerers to "know" metamagiced versions of spells to avoid the full-round casting time. Perhaps you are remembering such a house rule?

Legildur

First Post
Krafen said:
Some DMs allow Sorcerers to "know" metamagiced versions of spells to avoid the full-round casting time. Perhaps you are remembering such a house rule?
That is an option with the alternate class feature for sorcerors found in the PHBII (can't get a familiar though).

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Legildur said:
That is an option with the alternate class feature for sorcerors found in the PHBII (can't get a familiar though).

Actually no. The PHBII jsut lets them ignroe the increased casting time for a few spells a day.,

Arcane Preparation(a feat in Complete Arcane, I think) allows them to memorize spells and thus cast them with no increased casting time.

Anotehr feat in Complete Mage, available at level 9, allows htem to ignroe the slower casting time totally.

Thanee

First Post
Legildur said:

What he meant is more like research... a sorcerer could then learn a spell called maximized Fireball as one of his/her 6th-level Spells Known.

Bye
Thanee

Ilium

First Post
Thanee said:
What he meant is more like research... a sorcerer could then learn a spell called maximized Fireball as one of his/her 6th-level Spells Known.

Bye
Thanee
Yep. I do this for all arcane casters, actually. So if a wizard wants to research (i.e. take as one of his free spells) a 5th-level spell that's identical to an empowered fireball, that's cool with me. He doesn't have to have the Empower Spell feat or anything.

Remove ads