• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Metaphysics Adept Feat

CapnZapp

Legend
Metaphysics Adept Feat
Prerequisite: You are a spellcaster
You have magical training that allows you to twist your spells to suit your needs.
* You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice: Careful Spell, Distant Spell, Empowered Spell, Extended Spell, and Subtle Spell. See the Sorcerer class for details. In place of your Charisma modifier you may use your Spellcasting ability modifier, if higher. You can use each Metamagic option once per long rest, and never both at the same time.

The question is simple: would this be a feat you would take never, always or sometimes? :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The question is simple: would this be a feat you would take never, always or sometimes? :)

To answer the question: It seems like a great higher level pick. Subtle is great for making a spell un-counterspell-able, but you don't need it all the time. The others have uses depending on the type of caster you are. Leaving our twin (for super-buffing) and quicken is probably smart.

To talk more about it outside the question: this dilutes the sorcerer a bit more, and in my (anecdotal) observation it's picked less then other arcane casters already. I'd worry this would sideline the sorcerer even more.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'd worry this would sideline the sorcerer even more.
A fair worry, and I would understand if you wouldn't allow it in any game with a sorcerer.

Me, however, I've given up on sorcerers and feel the class is completely undercooked. Rather than to save metamagic for the sorcerer player that might never happen, I'd rather add some fun to all the other spellcasters.

To keep this from overshadowing sorcerors, I'd suggest keeping Charisma as the applicable stat, even for other casters. I'd also suggest clarifying the wording to make it clear that sorcerors who pick this feat add the metamagic options to their current class-based ones, as well as getting the two free uses per long rest.

That still keeps the feat useful for other casters, but also makes it better for a sorcerer to take to improve their options.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Seems like a decent feat, well balanced. Doesn't overshadow sorcs any more than Martial Adept overshadows fighters, or Magic Initiate overshadows casters.

Xeviat

Hero
I like the idea of some metamagics for upping spell slot costs, not another resource. Some are already built in, with lots of spells affecting two targets with a higher level slot (like twin).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Hah that's funny! I kept thinking there was something weird about the thread title, but it didn't quite register :)

Remove ads