• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Methods for a human to gain darkvision 60ft at by level 7 using core three books

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
He can't use Combat Expertise.

Not being able to use something isn't the same thing as no longer qualifying for something. Just because he can't use a pre-req feat for Improved Trip doesn't mean he can't use Improved Trip. if your Int dropped below 13, you'd lose the ability to use Improved Trip, as you no longer qualify for it. Again, huge difference.

On a side note, if you're sure the game is capping at 10, maybe don't do EK at all for the wizard build. Since...if you did that 2 of your next 3 levels wouldn't advance CL. Probably better to just drop one in fighter and finish out as a wizard at that point. You don't lose much more BAB that route anyway.

Sekhmet

First Post
The sorc level is for DD, but I am not set on doing DD at all. And the problem with a torch is that then we lose the element of stealth at night, which I'm sure we will want when being hunted by vampires...

The part where they also have '60 Darkvision, bonuses to Search, Spot, Hide, Move Silently, and Listen of +8 and, in when necessary, become a bat that can swarm you from the skies without much a chance to spot or hear them anyway...
Well.
Lets just consider that you probably won't be able to have the element of stealth anyway.

Genesist

First Post
They have scent which can serve a somewhat similar purpose. My DM saw my stats and told me to reroll (they were pretty meh). I am now just playing as a dwarf, which solves the whole darkvision problem. But I will recommend the wand of darkvision to any members of my team who are human.

Genesist

First Post
Haha, very persistent. I decided to just go with the melee build. I realize it isn't batman wizard, not huge treant, but I just don't like to play casters very much. Plus I calculated him all out and AC=24, HP=69, and damage vs vamps=4d6+14. Which is fine for me. Strength ended up being 22, 28 when enlarged and raged. Plus I can track with my ferret's scent and my track.

Not a batman treant, but a pretty good tanky guy with decent damage and huge bonuses to trip and disarm.

Tharkon

First Post
But I will recommend the wand of darkvision to any members of my team who are human.

Don't forget that wands are spell-trigger items.
So only Rangers (assuming you're not using a spell-less ranger variant), Sorcerers and Wizards (of any level) can use them.
A potion of darkvision can be used by any corporeal character but is one-use and provokes attacks of opportunity (something non-spellcasters might not be used to).
The potion will cost 50 times the amount of hours it will work (minimum 5 hours). If you'll need more than 240 hours of darkvision, in more than 48 separate instances, or if you don't want to carry a few dozen potions, the goggles will be a better option.

BENINHB

First Post
As long as one person in the party can use the wand they should be good. Now if they get separated in the dark for a long period of time that could be trouble but in that case just carry an emergency potion of Darkvision or just bust out a Sunrod.

Remove ads