• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MIC - Broken?

MithrasRahl

First Post
I've been going through the Magic Item Compendium, and there are items after items that don't even come close to the old formulas. I'm in 2 seperate campaigns, and both DMs have said no to using anything from it due to it being overpowered. Not having DMed before, I figured I'd ask here.

Are the items completely unbalanced, or do the CRs for monsters still work if the party has access to the items in the MIC?

Thurbane

First Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say broken, but some items are a little...questionable. When I have my copy in front of me I'll be more specific...

Jhulae

First Post
MithrasRahl said:
I've been going through the Magic Item Compendium, and there are items after items that don't even come close to the old formulas. I'm in 2 seperate campaigns, and both DMs have said no to using anything from it due to it being overpowered. Not having DMed before, I figured I'd ask here.

Are the items completely unbalanced, or do the CRs for monsters still work if the party has access to the items in the MIC?

Hasn't been a problem in our campaign. Make sure to get the Errata, though, as there are some changes to some of the seemingly overpowered items.

Elethiomel

First Post
I can see both sides of the issue. Some of the items in the MIC are very good for their price. But mostly I find them to be acceptable.

phindar

First Post
I think you can view MIC as being either horribly broken, or as correction to make magical items be cheaper and more accessible at more levels of play. I could see if you've been playing a particular game up from 1st level and throw the MIC in there at 10th level, it can knock the game for a loop. That doesn't mean the book is inherently unbalanced, just that it suits a particular playstyle and its hard to change horses midstream.

Corsair

First Post
The problem is most "interesting" items in the DMG are crap for their price. The MIC introduces items that are not crap for their price. I know this can be disconcerting, but try to remain calm.

MithrasRahl

First Post
Bot how does it affect CR?

If the entire party is running around with Healing Belts, for example, it takes a dangerous fight down to a reasonable one.

The CRs of monsters take into account the old cost of magic items, so having cheaper, more useful items should throw the numbers out of balance, right?

(Just playing devil's advocate here)

Jhaelen

First Post
MithrasRahl said:
Bot how does it affect CR?

If the entire party is running around with Healing Belts, for example, it takes a dangerous fight down to a reasonable one.

The CRs of monsters take into account the old cost of magic items, so having cheaper, more useful items should throw the numbers out of balance, right?
Well, the enemies get to use the new items, too. No problem at all.

Most characters in my party have one - I didn't notice any difference except they no longer buy wands of cure light wounds as often as they used to.

Jhaelen said:
Well, the enemies get to use the new items, too. No problem at all.

Which puts the spotlight on my opinion of the MIC: It's pure power creep (with a side of rules bloat). Everything becomes more powerful. You'll still be balanced as long as everyone uses it. This isn't necessarily bad, but it is something you need to be aware of, plan for, and make sure everyone is happy with it.

I do find it kind of entertaining that WotC released the MIC, and then later released design articles talking about characters being a walking X-mas tree of magic items. Sure, this was a general problem with 3.x in general, but in this analogy the MIC is kind of like those Hallmark ornaments that light up and play music.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads