• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Michael's MtG Spell thread (last update: Blockbuster 3/7/7)

Michael Morris

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Oh sure. Don't post anything for months, then deluge us with an avalanche of spells. ;)

When I saw "Watery Air" I thought that air-breathers would have to hold their breath in the vicinity. There should be a spell that does that, but what would it be called? Could your spell be called "viscous air" instead?

I dunno. Interesting idea though it's a bit much like cloudkill.

With "One with Nothing" how long does it take to reprepare spells? I know when folks leave slots open it takes 15 minutes per slot, but that could take a while. Could they use the "morning rules" of maximum 1 hour to prepare them all?

Normal preperation rules - so up to one hour. One with Nothing, like it's namesake card, sucks :)

If someone casts Freed from the Real and both copies are in the region of a fireball, would they take double damage if they failed both saves?

No, and I need to clean interaction up (will edit the post after this reply).

Re: Neverending Torment- I note that if the victim is unconscious when the spell is cast, he gets no save. If the save was merely "Will Negates" instead of "Will Negates (harmless)" he would get a save, even if unconscious. Also, can you get below -10 hit points while the spell is in effect? IIRC the rules say that -10 is the most negative you can get- but I don't remember if the rule is linked with death in such a way that if the character doesn't die, he can go more negative.

You can go beyond -10 with this spell in effect. And the no save while unconscious bit is intentional - makes it a better torturer's spell :p

Fieari

Explorer
Neverending Torment...

The spell mentions it can be made permanent. For what XP cost, and what's the minimum caster level? Also, a concentration check is required for casting when below 0 hp... what's the DC? You specify the penalty but not the target.

Hail of Arrows...

Why Fort 1/2? Wouldn't Ref 1/2 make more sense? Also, assuming a tenth level caster and d6 arrows, would saving deal 5d6 damage, (10d6)/2 damage, 1d6(piercing) + 5d6(force) damage, or 1d6(piercing) + (10d6)/2(force) damage?

Michael Morris

First Post
Amnesia
Necromancy [Black]
Level: (6) Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Target creature loses all spell preparations and forgets up to 1 day's memories / level of the caster (caster's discression as to how much time is forgotten). The memory loss incurred by this spell can only by undone by greater restoration, wish or miracle.

Blood of the Martyr
Abjuration (Ward) [White, Triggered]
Level: (4) Clr 5
Components: V, S, F
Duration: 1 round
Range: Close
Effect: All creatures in range.
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Whenever a creature would take damage you may prevent that damage and have it be dealt to you. You can't prevent this damage. (If you can't prevent damage from being dealt to the original creature you can't use the triggered effect of this spell).

Michael Morris

First Post
Thread Necromancy with Vigor Mortis

Damn, but it's been over a year since the last spell. I'll try to keep to one a week, though when within the week who knows.

Vigor Mortis
Necromancy [Black, Green]
Level: (6) Drd 6
Components: V, S, M

As you utter the incantations of this foul spell vines and leaves lash into the body devouring whatever flesh remains and replacing it. The skeleton that remains is augmented by new muscles and sinew made of plants matter, a macabre symphony of the living plant and the unliving bone.

This spell works like animate dead except it produces plant zombies (template given below).

Material Component: A jade stone worth 50 gp.

Plant Zombie template
Plant zombies are corpses whose flesh has been utterly replaced by living plant tissue in a macbre fusion of living and dead. The technique of their creation was first discovered by the Golgari of Ravnica though the technique has spread to other planes.

Creating a Plant Zombie
Plant Zombie is an acquired template. It may be added to any corpreal creature that has a skeleton (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to both plant and undead. It retains any subtypes except alignment subtypes (such as good) and subtypes that indicate type (such as goblinoid or reptilian). It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Drop any hit dice from class levels (to a minimum of 1), double the number of hit dice left and raise them to d12s. If the base creature has more than 10 hit dice (not counting those gained with experience) it can't be made into a plant zombie with the vigor mortis spell.

Speed: A plant zombie retains the speed it had in life.

Armor Class: Natural armor bonus increases by 2 plus the number given for the creature's size in the zombie entry of the monster manual.

Attacks: As per zombie.

Damage: As per zombie.

Special Attacks: As per zombie

Special Qualities. A plant zombie loses most special qualities of the base creature. It retains any extraordinary qualities that improve melee or ranged attacks. Unlike a zombie, a plant zombie is not limited to single actions only. If it's base attack is high enough it does qualify for multiple attacks.

Saves: Base save bonuses are fort +1/2 Hit dice +2, Ref + 1/3 HD, Will +1/2 HD.

Abilities: A plant zombie's strenth increases by +2, it's dexterity remains the same. It's constitution score is identical to it's creator's casting ability score. It has no intelligence and has a charisma score of 1.

Skills: A plant zombie has no skills, but does gain a +4 bonus to hide when among vegetation and is able to stay perfectly still granting it an additional +4 bonus to hide.

Feats: The plant zombie loses all feats of the base creature and gains toughness.

Environment: Any

Organization: Any

Challenge Rating: 1 higher than equivalent zombie.

Treasure: None

Alignment: Always Neutral Evil or (Dusk) Always Black/Green

Level Adjustment: --

Sample: Ogre Plant Zombie
Large Plant Undead
8d12+40 (88 hp)
Init: -1
Speed: 40'
AC: 18 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+14
Attack: Greatclub +9 melee (2d8+9) or slam +9 melee (1d8+9) or javelin +2 ranged (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Greatclub +9 melee (2d8+9) or slam +9 melee (1d8+9) or javelin +2 ranged (1d8+6)
Face/Reach: 10/10
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', Undead traits, Plant traits
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +1, Will +4
Abilities: STR 23, DEX 8, CON 18, INT --, WIS 10, CHA 1
Feats: Toughness
Challenge Rating: 4

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Yeah, it's been a while. I was surprised, when I clicked on this thread, to see some posts by me that I didn't remember making. When I looked more closely (past the month and day) the mystery was revealed. :)

I thought "vigor mortis" was going to be like the druid spell, only applied to undead- some kind of temporary fast healing. This is much cooler.

Do the plant zombies need access to water or sunshine in order to thrive? Or does the undead component supply all the needs of the plant component? It's actually kinda too bad they count as undead. They can still be turned and undead specific effects can still harm them.

Wolv0rine

First Post
Yes, but would a spell like...say... Plant Growth tear the plant zombie asunder as the plant component grew too big and crushed the skeleton? *evil grin*

And I can only imagine what a spell that, say, withered flora would do.

Cool spell though.

Michael Morris

First Post
Let's ressurect this thread - again :)

Dusk will be re-released sometime next month.

Bond of Agony
Necromancy [Black]
Level: (3) Sor/Wiz 4
Acquisition: 2BB
Components: V, S, M
Effect: All creatures in range.
Duration: 1 round / level
Saving Throw: Fort 1/2
Spell Resistance: Yes

Priests of Tela enjoy sharing pain almost as much as inflicting it.

Whenever you are dealt damage all creatures in range are dealt the same damage. If you are cured by any means this spell ends.

Material Component: A strand from a whip

Char
Evocation [Fire, Red]
Acquisition: R
Level: (0)
Target: Creatures or objects

Fire may die, but it rarely dies alone.

As Magic Missile, but you are dealt half the damage dealt to your foes by Char. Damage from Char is fire damage and can affect inanimate objects.

Eye of the Storm
Evocation [Metamagic, Blue, Triggered]
Acquisition: 5UUU
Level: (7) Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round / level (D)
Effect: All spells in range with a duration of instantaneous
Saving Throw: None

Wizards are fools who seek to control the uncontrollable, when many cannot control themselves.

Eye of the Storm creates a powerful multifaceted maelstrom of magic that the resourceful may use out of combat and the daring or insane may use in combat. Each spell causes a cascade of previously cast magics to occur again with sometimes unpredictable results. Whenever a spell with a duration of instantaneous is cast in the area of effect each other spell with a duration of instantaneous cast in the area of effect of eye of the storm is repeated. If these spells had a target they affect the triggering spell's target unless that spell has no target in which case they affect their original target again.

For example, Teresa casts Eye of the Storm. Trishdare casts magic missle on an enemy cleric. That cleric casts cure light wounds on himself, then is hit by a repeat magic missile. Teresa now casts her own magic missile on an enemy fighter who is then hit by a repeat cure light wounds and a repeat magic missile. Trishdare uses a fireball on the enemy fighter, who is hit by magic missile, cure light wounds and magic missile. The enemy cleric then hits Trishdare with harm, and fireball, magic missile (you get the idea)...

Sanction
Abjuration (Ward) [White]
Acquisition: 2WW
Level: (3), Clr 4, Drd 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 minute / level
Range: Touch (see text)
Effect: Creatures Touched
Saving Throw: Willing Target

The creatures to be affected by this spell must join in a circle of hands. No spell cast by any member of the circle can harm another in the circle for the duration of sanction. All subjects of the spell must participate in the casting and hence lose their action for the round this spell is cast.

AEther Web
Conjuration (Creation) [Green]
Acquisition: 2GG
Level: (3), Drd 3

As web, but the area of effect extends onto the aether plane and can entangle incorporeal creatures. (outside of the Dusk setting it extends onto the ethereal)

Michael Morris

First Post
Angel's Grace
Abjuration (Ward) [White]
Acquistion: 3WWWW
Level: (6) Clr 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Duration: 1 round
Range: Personal
Effect: The caster

For this spell's 1 round duration you are invulnerable (You cannot be dealt damage or affected by spells).

Remove ads