• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
MeepoDM said:
Sorry, I meant the two links on the News page. They're both missing the 'Microlite20' in the filename. Never even thought to check the Downloads page! :confused: :D

Heh. That's what I get for hand coding HTML from memory on an iPaq. Blame Microsoft; it's always their fault, even when it isn't.

I've fixed everything now. Really, honestly I have.

btw - this is a TOUGH adventure for 1st level characters, purely because it's the one I ran for my group and they are used switching between role-playing situations rather than fighting them, and using marine-level combat techniques if swords get drawn. It's amazing how an EL4 encounter can get demolished before your eyes if the characters throw three smokesticks and a flashbomb into every room before they enter........

You have been warned.

By the end of the adventure the players 2nd level and not far off third, with 2 dead comrades to bury. Not a bad tally, all told.

MeepoDM

First Post
greywulf said:
Lol! You're easily pleased my friend.

Truer words have never been spoken! :lol:

greywulf said:
So, what think you of the adventure? I'd forgotten just how darned hard it was to /write/ these things.......

I printed it out but haven't given it anything more than a first pass so far. My two kids are being rambunctious (2 and 3) so I plan on reading it thoroughly over tonight and maybe guiding a quickie 4 man party through it to see how it runs. My wife has tons of Tivo to catch up on so its the perfect chance for me to escape and geek out!

I will say I really like the layout. Simple and attractive (like Microlite20!) Now that I've seen it, I should have something in the works for this week! :D

greywulf

First Post
MeepoDM said:
I will say I really like the layout. Simple and attractive (like Microlite20!) Now that I've seen it, I should have something in the works for this week! :D

Cool! Just so you know, the font is Verdana 14pt; it's about the minimum usable for Pocketmods while still being ok for full sized too. Anything bigger/smaller way would mean I'd have to create two versions. And that would never do.

greywulf

First Post
btw - just to throw a bucket of spanners into the mix - I've updated the whole EL thing in the Microlite20 Core doc. It now reads:

Encounter Level = Hit Dice of defeated monsters, or the given EL for the trap, situation, etc. Add +1 for each doubling of the number of foes. eg: 1 kobold = EL1. 2 kobolds = EL2. 4 kobolds = EL3, etc.

Note the +1 for doubling the foes. Simplifies the whole thing, and still works reasonably well at higher levels too.

Just so you know.

It means that two 4HD Ogres are EL5, four are EL6, etc. If you have an odd number of Ogres (Mommy Ogre, Daddy Ogre and Little Baby Ogre, maybe) then make it EL5 or 6 depending on how generous or evil you're feeling.

That's asuming you tackle all three Ogres as a single combat. Picking off one at a time would be EL4, three times. That's because. Oh, I dunno. Just because, I guess :) Make up your own reasons. I'm sure they'll be better than mine.

Similarly, a flight of 8 x 13HD red Dragons is EL16. Not that you'd be daft enough to try and take on 8 dragons at the same time :)

ok, it's not by-the-book d20, but the whole silliness of HD/CR/EL calcualtions has to end somewhere!

If everyone nods to this change, that's it. Core is closed. Anything else is going in the Macropedia, so there!

Last edited:

MeepoDM

First Post
I love it, thanks!! It's a bit high for low levels and bit low for high levels, but it still works reasonably well. And it certainly beats the tar out of calculating it d20-style!

And that actually wraps up the final concern I had with the rules!! Time to print this bad-boy on some quality paper!! :D

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
Encounter Level = Hit Dice of defeated monsters, or the given EL for the trap, situation, etc. Add +1 for each doubling of the number of foes. eg: 1 kobold = EL1. 2 kobolds = EL2. 4 kobolds = EL3, etc.

That's about right. That was really the last thing I was kind of questioning.

greywulf said:
Note the +1 for doubling the foes. Simplifies the whole thing, and still works reasonably well at higher levels too.

Sure does! :)

greywulf said:
ok, it's not by-the-book d20, but the whole silliness of HD/CR/EL calcualtions has to end somewhere!

Agreed. ;)

greywulf said:
If everyone nods to this change, that's it. Core is closed. Anything else is going in the Macropedia, so there!

Well, ya got my nod. :) I'm ready to print out the full system's-worth of pdfs on some card stock and put 'em in my menu-folder thingies. It'll be cool to have our 'master' documents all in one place for the game. :D :D :D

The adventure looks good, too; though I haven't had a chance to read through it all the way, let alone run it.

Regards,
Darrell

MeepoDM

First Post
The Temple of K'thu'uk is printed out in Pocketmod form and it looks GREAT! I love the map being on the first page, it just gives it a nice touch and makes it noticeably different from the other pocket mods I printed out. Not difficult to read at all, either. Now I just gotta find a nice quiet spot to crash!

By the way I love "K'thu'uk's Skull" ...what a great villain!!!

kibbitz

First Post
greywulf said:
I agree the existing working is kinda kludgy. Maybe taking your wording but adding the caveat that all multiple attacks must still be at least +1 to be allowed, so +6/+1 is ok, but +6/+1/-4 isn't. That sets the limit to number of attacks without being too rules heavy.

"Character's may take additional attacks, but each extra attacks suffers a cumulative -5 penalty to its attack roll. All multiple attacks must still be at least +1 to be allowed. For example +6/+1 is ok, but +6/+1/-4 isn't."

Hmmmmmmmmm.......... that's still a bit unwieldy. Can anyone suggest a better turn of phrase?

Hmmm. Not sure if you're still interested, but if you are, how is this?

A character may make additional attacks if their natural attack bonus (replace with whichever term you're using) exceeds +5. Additional attacks are performed at a penalty of -5 for every attack already made this turn. An additional attack can only be made if the character's natural attack bonus exceeds the current additional attack penalties for making the attack.

Example: Roland is an experienced bounty hunter with a natural attack bonus of +11. He was pursuing a escaping felon, but three of the felon's henchmen are attacking him now to buy time for the felon's escape.

Since time is of the essence, Roland decides to perform additional attacks to slay the henchmen as quickly as possible so he can return to his pursuit of the felon. Roland launches a normal attack at +11 on Henchman #1, killing him instantly. He then performs his first additional attack at +11 -5 = +6 on Henchman #2, slaying him as well.

Now, if Roland only had a natural attack bonus of +10, performing a second additional attack would not be possible since the current penalty would be -10. However, since Roland has a +11, he can perform one last attack at +11 -10 = +1. He manages to hit and slay Henchman #3. Roland quickly continues his pursuit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads