• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

Cymew

First Post
I have not been able to print and fold the pocketmods. The margins cut off text whatever I do. Anyone care to post some instructions how to set the margins, print and fold it?

greywulf

First Post
I've added Bert's truly excellent The Scarlet Sea campaign mini-setting and adventure to the Microlite20 site. It's a pocketmod download pdf. It uses a few maps from WoTC's map a week site, so I've provided links to them too.

I've also added his Skills and Feats pocketbook into the Downloads page too. It's a useful guide if you want to put d20 skills and feats back into the game.

Bert, hope this is ok for you. :)

Cymew, check out the HowToFold page on the site. That should help with your pocketbook woes. Remember to set the printer settings to Scale the Margins. Each version of acrobat changes the print settings box wording slightly, but it should be there someplace. That should work.

kensanata said:
One of my players wants to play a monk. What's the simplest solution?

Just let him.

Monks use no armour. They have a +3 bonus to Physical and can fight unarmed (kicks, punches, etc) doing d6 damage. They gain an AC bonus equal to half their level (rounded up) provided they are wearing no more than loose fitting clothes. Their unarmed damage increases by one dice type (d6->d8, d8->d10, etc) every four levels. Their attacks count as magical after 3rd level.

Ninjas are the same as Monks, but gain +3 to Sub instead of the +3 to Phys.

Would that work?

RFisher

Explorer
kensanata said:
One of my players wants to play a monk. What's the simplest solution?

Choose the class you think fits best. Allow their fists & feet to do weapon damage. When they aren't using weapons or wearing armor, give them a "martial arts" armor bonus.

Edit: Maybe give them a small penalty when using non-monk weapons.

Last edited:

kensanata

Explorer
Hm, good idea. They're not fighters because they don't get the +1 attack/damage bonus; instead they get an AC bonus... I like it. I bet the player will ask about multiple attacks, however. I'll probably add the following: Monks can use DEX bonus + Level as Melee attack bonus if unarmed. Monks make multiple attacks per round by taking -2 on the first attack, -4 on the second attack, and so on, as long as their melee attack bonus is positive. Example: Mu Ehr is a 5th level monk with DEX 18/+4. He uses DEX based Gong Fu to fight and thus has a melee bonus +9 for a single attack. When using a Flurry of Blows, he has four attacks at +7/+5/+3/+1.

greywulf

First Post
I like. That could be an option for martial-arts heavy games. I've put the Monk class in the Macropedia, so I'll add in your suggested enhancement too.

kensanata

Explorer
Hah, I have the mystic wiki-altering powers as well! :)

I felt multiple attacks were necessary, since monks (martial artists) are not spell casting and not sneaking, therefore they should be comparable to fighters. A fighter will have a better AC than an naked monk due to armor, however. And the fighter can make two attacks using -2/-2 at any time, or later in the game a fighter can make two attacks using 0/-5. So I needed something at least comparable for monks. Hence "Flurry of Blows".

Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
Hah, I have the mystic wiki-altering powers as well! :)

Mystic, eh? I knew there was something unnatural about wikis :)

Looks good. Thanks, Alex. I look forward to hearing how it plays.

WSmith

First Post
greywulf said:
As for Ranges, if it matters I'd go with the standard range increments. Personally though, I prefer to just say "it's kinda hard to hit the Kobold from this distance. Take a -2". That's more in the spirit of M20.

This is exactly what I had in mind, considering most ranges in a dungeon are about the same, except for large caverns, long hallways, and vast open temple rooms.

Bert the Ogre

First Post
greywulf said:
I've added Bert's truly excellent The Scarlet Sea campaign mini-setting and adventure to the Microlite20 site. It's a pocketmod download pdf. It uses a few maps from WoTC's map a week site, so I've provided links to them too.

I've also added his Skills and Feats pocketbook into the Downloads page too. It's a useful guide if you want to put d20 skills and feats back into the game.

Bert, hope this is ok for you. :)

[greywulf=QUOTE]

That's great for me! I redrew both maps, and renamed many of the non-generic places (Cities, the Arch), so this is now more "my work" than WoTCs. I'll email you both area maps (color and BW) and the redrawn Haunted Tower maps, as well as the "module" with all the new names.

I'm busy working on the next mini-module, there will also be two maps, one entirely mine, one a redrawing of a WoTC caves map (pretty generic in it's own right). I should have it in the email pouch by this weekend as well.

I'm better at creating modules and adventures than writing up rules, and this rule-set works GREAT with my writing style. Is there any plan for more monsters from the SRD? I needed a Green Slime today, and ended up substituting with a Large Viper. The Gelatinous Cube wasn't quite what I wanted, but it was the only fungus available...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads