• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
Bert the Ogre said:
I'm better at creating modules and adventures than writing up rules, and this rule-set works GREAT with my writing style. Is there any plan for more monsters from the SRD? I needed a Green Slime today, and ended up substituting with a Large Viper. The Gelatinous Cube wasn't quite what I wanted, but it was the only fungus available...

Thanks Bert. I've got your revised edition, and I'll have it converted and posted up later today.

Green Slime is a strange one to find anyway - it's in the DMG under Dungeon Ecology instead of being in the MM as a critter. It made it into the SRD too. Here's the text:

Green Slime (CR 4): This dungeon peril is a dangerous variety of normal slime. Green slime devours flesh and organic materials on contact and is even capable of dissolving metal. Bright green, wet, and sticky, it clings to walls, floors, and ceilings in patches, reproducing as it consumes organic matter. It drops from walls and ceilings when it detects movement (and possible food) below.

A single 5-foot square of green slime deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage per round while it devours flesh. On the first round of contact, the slime can be scraped off a creature (most likely destroying the scraping device), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Anything that deals cold or fire damage, sunlight, or a remove disease spell destroys a patch of green slime. Against wood or metal, green slime deals 2d6 points of damage per round, ignoring metal’s hardness but not that of wood. It does not harm stone.

There's a version of the Green Slime as a critter here on these board too (which I prefer). That would convert in M20 terms to:

Green Slime, HD2d10+2 (11hp), AC3, +3 1d6 damage (flesh) or 2d6 damage (wood/metal). No skills.

Hope that helps.

Monsters. I'd love to see more monsters! I'd love to come up with a load of critters that are unique to Microlite20, so we can have a complete micro-ecology going on. Yeh. That would rock. :D :D :D

kensanata

Explorer
Monsters and NPCs for an Asian setting

Well, I've used the following adaptation of the Kappa (a turtle demon) from the Kitsunemori setting:

HP 4d6+15, AC 17, Atk claw +4 (2d4+2 and save Phys+DEX vs. the
attack roll or be stunned for 1d4 rounds; alternatively, no damage
and save Phys+STR vs. DC 15 or be slowed for seven rounds). CR 3½.

Kijo (something between an ogre and a hill giant):

HD 4d8+12, AC 16, Atk +9 melee (1d8+9 slam). The kijo don't like to
fight. Their roar will stun anybody standing nearby for a round.
Save Level+WILL vs. 15 to resist. CR 3½.

Tengu (bird demon fighting with a Katana):

HP 6d8+18, special initiative +10, AC 20, Atk katana +11 (1d10+3),
or bite +4 (2d6+1). CR 6.

I also use a new race for NPCs, Kitsune (fox demons). I simplified the complex rules as follows:

Kitsune get WILL+2 like elves. Use CHA if you have it in your house rules.

They are at -2 against magic cast by humans but at +4 when seducing
humans.

Kitsune are magical creatures and thus start with one use of fox magic
and gain a new fox magic ability every five levels (5, 10, 15),
irrespective of their class. Casting these costs HP like ordinary
spells. The maximum level can be increased by increasing your
prestige: Every five prestige points gains you one extra level (15,
20, 25).

Example: Umisachihiko is level 9 with prestige 23. Half his
level and round up is 5 + two extra spell levels due to prestige gives
him access to a max spell level of 7, costing him 2 x 7 + 1 = 15hp.
If he's not a mage he will know only two spells, however.
If he's a mage, he'll know a lot more.

In return, they are absolutely honor bound. If they give their
word, they are bound for a year and a day to live up to it or suffer
3d6 damage every day.

I'm not sure I got the balance right; I'll have to see how much of an effect the -2 to human magic and the honor bound property have.

Based on this, here are two kitsune NPCs:

Umisachihiko has eight tails (two initial tails, prestige: +4, myobu
level 9: +2) and has created a shrine realm. He is a known protector
of the eastern mountains. He favors mountain lakes above all.

He's a weaver of dreams, not a master of weapons. He'll lead your foes
astray and grant you visions to guide you down the right path. When
Umisachihiko is around, the fountains speak and the waterfall dragons
dance, singing his praise.

Mage 9, hp 38, STR 10, DEX 15/+2, MIND 20/+5, Phys +9, Sub +9,
Know +12, Comm +9, AC 13, Atk +9 melee (1d4 war fan) or +11 ranged
(1d4 sling) or +14 ranged (1d6+3 yumi+3) or +14 magic. Prestige:
26. Treasure: Greater Dispel Magic Scroll, Clear Ioun Stone (user
requires either food nor water), black pearl (300gp), ring of
protection +1, 3pp, 45gp.

Spells (enchantment, illusion, and fox magic): Sleep, Charm,
Invisibility, Illusions (up to illusions that deal 50% real damage
at level 5 and the creation of a permanent shrine realm at level
7).

As you can see, I didn't even bother listing all the spells, just listing the domains and giving a few examples if the maximum effect is actually relevant. Spell effects lasting a few rounds are level 1, spells lasting a few hours are level 3.

Yamasachihiko is known by some to have tricked many an unwary
traveller into the darkest corners of the great forest. He loves to
use his magic yumi +3 when fighting and will use its power to keep
the party at a distance if necessary.

Fighter 7, hp 40, STR 16/+3, DEX 14/+2, MIND 11/+2, Phys +10,
Sub +7, Know +7, Comm +7, AC 20 (glamered chainmail +2), Atk +11
melee (1d10+6 Naginata) or +13 ranged (1d6+8 magic yumi) or +8
magic. Prestige: 18/+4, four tails. Treasure: Jade figure (120gp),
gold bracelet (60gp), 3pp, 50gp.

Spells: Basic Disguise (Sub +10, level 1, look like somebody else)
for 1d4+1 x 10 minutes, Advanced Disguis (Sub +15, level 3, look
like a specific person) for 1d4+1 hours.

If not favorably impressed, the kitsune makes haste to send the
kijos after the party, and in a fight, he will use it's magic bow
to smite his enemies.

This one is a fighter and thus he knows only two fox magic spells.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
greywulf said:
I like. That could be an option for martial-arts heavy games. I've put the Monk class in the Macropedia, so I'll add in your suggested enhancement too.

Yeah. Originally I went with "pick a class" because I couldn't decide. But now I'm thinking it could be cool to just have a "unarmed combat" template that could be applied to any class for an wuxia-flavor campaign.

kensanata

Explorer
Gah. Looking at my NPCs and struggling with myself for balance, and trying to remind myself of the M20 spirit, I decided to abolish the kitsune speciality stuff and just rule them to be like elven mages. WILL+2, Know+3, and magic.

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
Gah. Looking at my NPCs and struggling with myself for balance, and trying to remind myself of the M20 spirit, I decided to abolish the kitsune speciality stuff and just rule them to be like elven mages. WILL+2, Know+3, and magic.

:grin:

Occam's Razor is your friend in M20. Reduce down to the simplest terms possible, always.

Cymew

First Post
Greywulf,

You are starting to scare me! You already had a page up with folding instructions!? Thanks! I'll see if I can understand that "Scale Margins" setting. I'll do another try.

kensanata

Explorer
To be honest, Cymew, I tried printing with Preview.app on my Mac, and for some PDF files it will tell me that the size of the page exceeds my printer margins and lets me choose between resize or crop -- but the Core Rules pocketmod PDF Greywulf has up on his site doesn't trigger this code, and therefore I don't get to resize, and therefore I can't print it correctly. Obviously my print driver and my real printer have different ideas about A4 paper... Oh well. Who needs pocketmod rules anyway. I just stick the real thing to the inside of my DM screen.

Last edited:

Bert the Ogre

First Post
The second adventure is finished, but I'm looking at tweaking the info so that the maps and text all fit on an eight page Pocketbook. Right now, I have 7 pages of text, plus 2 maps, putting me one page over my goal... I've also started on the third adventure, and my first (mostly) wilderness adventure. Once again, I'm cribbing and redrawing maps from WoTC since my cartography skills SUCK! Maybe one day I'll have the money to buy a tablet PC, and be able to draw directly on the screen.

greywulf

First Post
Great, Bert. Mail me them when you're done. I still need to convert your updated previous adventure. My 'puter is in the middle of a compilation, so I can't reboot to do it just yet. I'll have it done and updated tomorrow for you, ok?

And I'll take a look at the Core Rules pocketmod. Maybe I'll create a letter-sized one too, for those countries who don't use God's own paper sizes :)

Remove ads