Microlite81 Old School D&D with a n00b DM anyone?

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
So... what with the release of the newest 5th edition of D&D, what better time to ask if anyone would be interested in an Old School game?

I've been interested in Microlite81 for a while now and I've always thought the very rules-lite system would be ideal for a play by post.

As a semi-experienced D&D DM but a first time play-by-post DM I'll be looking to run a classic fantasy setting, nothing too unusual (be gentle!). The usual kobolds, goblins and giant rats will be in plentiful supply.

The basic Microlite81 rules can be found here (and I've attached the current 'Silver' version to my post).

http://www.retroroleplaying.com/

Just wondering if there would be any interest at this point - not sure how well known or liked Microlite is compared to the more well known OSR rules sets available.

(Fingers crossed!)

Attachments

• Microlite81-1.00-silver.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 329

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
A brief introduction to try and garner interest...

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The glory days of the Elves and Dwarves are long gone, leaving only mysterious ruins, dungeons,and ancient magic artifacts as a reminder of ages long gone. The descendants of these once mighty empires have withdrawn to their forests and mountains, leaving just the outcasts, wanderers and occasional traders to maintain contact with the rest of the world.
[/FONT]

Human settlements dot the landscape - isolated villages, bustling city-states, seaports and everything in between. Slowly the humans are pushing back the boundaries of the monster-filled lands and reclaiming them for civilization, much as the Elves and Dwarves did before them. The Halfling people, once content to stay within their safe and hidden vales and dens, are becoming an increasingly common sight across the land.

Adventurers from all races seek wealth, fortune, magic and power slaying monsters beyond the capabilities of simple guardsmen, delving into ancient dungeons and recovering long lost magic, seeking glory and fame through epic deeds.

The town of Northwatch lies on the coast, at the edges of Human civilization. Somewhat isolated, it relies upon sea trade and thelong and dangerous road to the south to maintain links with othersettlements. A crumbling stone wall and the Town Guard defend against the beasts and monsters that lurk in the surrounding woods. Ancient ruins, Dwarven dungeons and Elven standing stones are found in the local area, the subject of endless alehouse rumours.

You and your companions find yourself in the back of a rickety wagon,half full with sacks of grain and other goods, pulled by a tired looking pony and driven by a disinterested Dwarven trader. You are on your way to Northwatch in search of fortune and adventure. You have heard that the town's local office of the Merchant's League is seeking help for an unusual problem, and they happen to be a very wealthy organisation indeed...

• Stat Generation: roll 3d6 6 times, take highest 4 scores, assign to STR, AGI, MIND and CHA as you wish (suggestion: use Invisible Castle to roll 6x 3d6 and discard 2 lowest scores)
  • Starting Level is 3000XP (Level 1 Elf, Level 2 Dwarf/Fighter/Halfling/Magic-User, Level 3 Thief/Cleric)
  • Characters can be equipped with the 'standard' equipment consisting of pack A, B or C plus their class equipment or can be equipped 'from scratch' with 120 + 3d6x5 GP

Deities shamelessly cribbed from 3rd ed PHB:
Pelor (Sun, light, life), Boccob (Magic, knowledge, lore), Olidamarra (Luck, rogues, fortune), the three deities chiefly worshipped by humans
Corellon, god of elves
Moradin, god of dwarves
Yondalla, goddess of halflings

Last edited:

wwanno

First Post
I don't know this microlite, but I am in search of a DM to play with and an old style rpg adventure (temple of elemental evil would be perfect but I fear I am asking too much).

I tell you:
I am not english, I read and write well enough but maybe it is better if I play the silent barbarian type.

Remove ads