Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

Sensing the end is very near, aware that he is not what he once was, Valurel strides over to Aislinn's broken form and sits next to her, cradling her head in his lap. "I'm here child. I'll stay." Looking to Herger, Mardo and Lodric, he yells "GO! Before its too late!"

Bobitron

Explorer
Faint with emotion, Kaela stumbles away from the pool, confusion and the drain of a very long day showing on her face. She falls onto her knees next to Valurel and Aislinn, her eyes streaming as she embraces them both with warm arms.

Her voice choked with tears, she starts to do the only thing she can and sings. The song is not old, nor is it made for a child's ears. It is not a bedtime song to ease a child's worries. But it is a song of hope, sung slowly and with great feeling.

Brother, have you heard the news?
The pale horse is on the loose
Sister, do you realise
A red horse is on the rise
And it always feels like
The calm before the storm
Mother Earth please don't you cry
A black horse darkens the sky
Father Time you know the score
The white horse rides forevermore!

ooc: Credit where due! Those lyrics are by a band called Mountain Mirrors.

Krug

Newshound
"Hah.. she did not last long," Starhl says. Snarling to the wolf, he follows the others and runs, keeping an eye out for adversaries. His sword is out of its scabbard and ready to draw blood.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Mardo looks back at the ruins on which his friends sit and sing to the young girl, a look of panic and confusion across his face. As Starhl approaches, Mardo cries out to him, "They don't come! Why don't they flee for their lives!?"

Hrothgar

First Post
Bihlbo said:
Mardo looks back at the ruins on which his friends sit and sing to the young girl, a look of panic and confusion across his face. As Starhl approaches, Mardo cries out to him, "They don't come! Why don't they flee for their lives!?"

OOC: If my post does not reflect Mardo's or Herger's actions, I apologize. I am just trying to reach a conclusion to this Chapter. And I am going to assume Lodric fled as well.

Tears brimming in their eyes, Mardo, Herger, Starhl and Lodric glance once more at their three comrades, huddled close on the forest floor, tainted by the Shadow's fell essence. Valurel holds the undead Aislinn tenderly with Kaela's arms wrapped about them both. Not even death can break the bonds that keep them close together, bonds that lend strength to all three of them at the end. Unwilling to acknowledge defeat, Kaela's voice rings forth in defiance and strength. A surge of excitement wells up in Mardo, Herger, Starhl, and Lodric as their chests swell with pride. Valurel's words shake them from Kaela's singing trance.

Starhl and Lodric dash after the Widowmaker, branches whipping and snapping about them as they keep their focus locked on the dark shape of the orc ahead. Mardo hesitates though, an unnatural feeling of comradeship holding him in place, a comradeship he has not felt except in the company of his own kind. He points at the three questioningly, but Herger does not wait, scooping up the Gnome and dragging his cart as he strives to keep up with Starhl and Lodric.

The mad dash through the shadow-cloaked, cursed forest is nightmarish as the trees twist and bend in hideous agony. Behind, the Song of Kaela rises in crescendo, urging the remaining Heroes onward. Abruptly, her voice is muted as a blaze of light springs forth behind the Heroes and rushes through the trees toward them, trees snapping and hurtling ahead across the path. Ahead, the Widowmaker smashes into a dolmen, the stone splitting and grinding outward "In here-!". Before the Heroes can reach the Orc, a blinding, concussive force lifts them off their feet, hurtling them with a cry into blackness, a single phrase echoing in their ears, "Thank you..."...

Epilogue​

The Elven Hunter stalked the forest ruin, lightly skipping across blackened, broken and twisted maurial and oak. His face was pensive, unsure of what could have caused such devastation in his cherished forest. He had come quickly, as others would, because the Whisper had told him to. Something had happened. Something big. The Elf shook his head, Something big indeed. Climbing a ridge to look down at the devastation, he shook his head in disbelief. At the northern edge of the Darkening Wood, a great swath of forest had been laid waste, the trees broken like toothpicks, the ground blackened by some unknown flame, the sky above twisting with black clouds, threatening rain. His trained eyes followed the ridge. There! Something different in the ruin. Springing down, and running with urgency, he found what he had seen. A small, garishly colored suit, now torn and bloodied. Digging in the ripped soil and stone, he uncovered a small hand, still warm with a heartbeat. By the Queen! We have survivors! There! Covered in earth and stone, lay two Dorns and an Erenlander, their chests moving with breath. Thank the Queen! Nearby the smaller Dorn sat a Wolf. It seemed to ignore the Elven Hunter, its eyes locked on the devastation on the horizon, its eyes haunted by some unknown sight. Within moments, three other Hunters had joined the first, giving aid to the Gnome and three Humans.

Making sure his charges were under proper care, the Hunter climbed the ridge toward an older, veteran Hunter as evidenced by the many scars crossing his frame. Any others? asked older Hunter. None, Master Cullenwe. The young Erenlander witch and the Erunsil are not here. He hesitated. We did not find Ladriel. And we did not find the Orc. Cullenwe's head hangs sadly, tears flowing freely down his cheeks. We must get the survivors to the Queen. She will want to hear what they have to say. I think today events have been set in motion that will reverberate across the continent. For good or ill I cannot say.

Below, a cry went up. Both Cullenwe and the Hunter looked down the ridge toward the Hunter who cried out. The Hunter pointed to the East, as a curtain of rain broke across the forest, soaking the parched soil. At the forest's edge, trees stretched upward to collect the life-giving fluid. Below, dancing in the ruin, Elven Hunters rejoiced at the rainfall, a rainfall of intensity and duration that had not been seen in the Caraheen for such a long time. Arms raised upwards, heads thrown back the Elves rejoiced at this unexpected blessing. As his tears mix with the rain, Cullenwe looked up to the sky, giant droplets of water striking his face, and he smiled. Maybe for the good.

As dusk claimed Erethor, the rain continued to fall, slaking the thirst of the fey woods that had lasted for so long. Despite the rain, an Elven woman stepped through the forest, her white gown of gossamer leaving the impression of a ghost in the shadowed woods. Her very form communicated power, authority, ancientness. These rains will not last forever. We have just a reprieve. Her voice was melodic, otherworldly, powerful. Around her, the forest groaned as trees twisted and rocks ground. The trees shook, sending a shower of water droplets to the ground. A low, slow, grinding voice answered. Hrumph. I feel Her in my roots. In the rock and soil. She has spread, like the Shadow, across Eredane. She has awakened, but she does not know what she has become. Even I have forgotten her name it has been so long. The rains will come again. If we can solve Her riddle. The Elf's melodic voice answered. I am the Queen of my people and I will protect them. Those that survived, they know not what can become of their efforts in the Darkening Wood. This world hangs on a knife-edge. And I need their help. The Gnome and his unique skills. The Giant and his strength. The woodsman who walks with wolves. The Erenlander with the pure heart. I will hear their story soon. About her, the trees groaned and cracked. Hrumph! We must find out who She was before She can know what She can become! The Elven woman sighs. Yes, unless the Shadow claims Her first. Already I can feel his malign presence stalking Eredane for the Goddess' spark...

Months After the Devastation of Darkening Wood

Cullenwe stooped low under the branches to enter the narrow glade, soft light playing from strung lamps with lightning beetles. The glade full of Elven Hunters parted as he approached a lone Hunter. Tell me, Hunter. How did your band escape? The Whisper should have claimed you against such odds!

Excitement on his face, his face feverish with his brush with death, the Elven Hunter told his story. The Oruks had us surrounded. The very trees we used as cover were smitten to the ground with the force of their blows. We decided to make a stand in a small ravine near the Darkening Wood. To make the ravine run with the blood of our enemies to quench the thirst of the forest. Several of the Hunters nodded approvingly, but Cullenwe motioned for silence, impatience on his face. Then she appeared. An Erenlander woman. Strong. Young. A ghost - she shimmered like morning mist in the meadows. Behind her, as timid as a young child, was a Dorn woman, younger. The Oruks did not have a chance. Arcane bolts from the Erenlander's fingertips stopped the Oruks in their tracks while the young girl turned the forest on our enemies. And then came the Erunsil, a trail of smoke and mist, lightning fast. Tearing and shredding like nothing I have seen before. As the final Oruk fell, the trio faded to nothingness before our eyes. But, even as they disappeared, the Erenlander woman sang to us. A song of courage and strength and honor!

Brother, have you heard the news?
The pale horse is on the loose
Sister, do you realise
A red horse is on the rise
And it always feels like
The calm before the storm
Mother Earth please don't you cry
A black horse darkens the sky
Father Time you know the score
The white horse rides forevermore!

Cullenwe turned and left without answering as Elves took up the song, a tear on his cheek and a smile on his lips. I know who they are and their spirits live on...

This Ends the First Chapter of a Lost Faith's Shadow.

Last edited:

Remove ads