Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Valurel looks at the mirror in awe and wonder, never having held an item of power before. His curiousity is quickly shoved aside however as the Fell advance from the water and the orcs from the clifftop. He tears off a piece of his clothing and wraps the mirror in it. He then tucks it inside his shirt, hoping that it will remain safe there. If any Fell get close enough, he lashes out viciously with his claws.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric moves to help Herger up. So much for stealth...Kaela, I think you can ignore what I thought earlier about using arcane magic.

Lodric prepares to intercept approaching Fell Disrupt undead. Ranged touch attack +5 No saving throw 1d6 damage.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Kalea spins to face the approaching orcs with fear and determination in her eyes, her hands extended to focus her magic. "I''ll stop the orcs!"

ooc: Calm Emotions on the approaching orcs. I'll do it again next round if it doesn't hit enough targets.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl tells his companions "Bless you... I thought you would have abandoned me..." When he sees the approaching orcs, he tries to stagger up, ready to face them with his bare fists. "Aye! Come! Come!" he shouts.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger looks oddly at the spike and absentmindedly allows Lodric to assist him. Upon feeling the surge of strength, he glances around to the others. He had never felt this way before. 'Something odd about the spike...', he thought. He then noticed the groups plight again. He shrugged off Lodrics help and began to search for rocks near the base of the cliff. He needs something large and heavy to throw. Something that could get this group out of this mess and back on the trail of Fallax. Herger had a mission to complete......

OOC:
Herger will leave the spike in his wrist if you will allow that. I'm sure he probably has no other place to put it at this moment. Also, since he'd see the fell closing and hear/see the orcs, his first though upon feeling the surge of strength would be to help his friends. He is looking for a boulder to throw. :) Also, would it have been possible for him to grab the pole that he was nailed onto? If so, would it have been large enough for Herger to use as a club? In addition, can I get an HP count for Herger?

Rock +4 (1d10 + 4, x2) 30’ (+2 BAB, +2 Dx)

Last edited:

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Uh-oh, this is why GMs fear the Giant-blooded! I would rule the pole to be Huge in size, but Herger could wield it two-handed. :eek: Herger and Starhl are at 1 hp.

The Heroes make their stand outside of the small cave at the waters edge. The long sacrificial pole braced against his side, his arms wrapped around it, Herger is eager to greet the advancing Fell, hoping to exude his rage and pain on these twisted creatures. As they come near, the pole sweeps in a wide arc, crushing one of the Fell. Several leap past the cumbersome club. One is met by Valurel, its liquified innards spilling on the stoney ground as the Snow Elf's claws rip it apart. Another is torn asunder by Lodric's disrupting punch. The Northman Starhl lands a powerful blow to one with his mighty fist, ripping the jaw from the rotting creature; the undead does not seem to notice and raises its arms to grasp the weakened Northman.

Above, orcs descend the twisting, narrow paths at breakneck speed. Several stop, raising their spears to drop on the Heroes far below. Kaela wastes no time, twisting the eldritch energy around the orcs into miasmas heady with liquor and sleep, calming the bestial nature of the creatures.

At that moment, Murdoch screams to the Heroes, Get back! The Heroes slam against the cliff, slipping into the cave as a shower of scree and boulders smash into the ground from above, crushing the pursuing Fell. For a moment, the Heroes are lost in darkness, choking in the dust caused by the small avalanche, the cave entrance blocked by tons of rock. Lighting a torch, Murdoch leads the Heroes on an endless twisting path of mine shafts, narrow crawlspaces, and precipitous climbs as the Heroes slowly advance back upward toward Baden's Bluff within the very rock the city sits. Passing through caves that open into large sewer drains, the Heroes find themselves back in a small safehouse, the wood of the old shack worn and splintered. A boarded up window prevents prying eyes, but several candles provide dim light.

In the dim light, the Heroes can see the old healer Jessup. Quickly he tends to Starhl and Herger in the gloom, he himself wincing at the wounds the two Heroes suffered. Elaural speaks to the Heroes, a great sadness in her eyes. My friends, on swear on my life, the Elves responsible for Aislinn's abduction had nothing to do with Queen Aradil's agenda in Baden's Bluff. They are rogues and their true nature is unknown. They obviously fight on our side, otherwise Murdoch and Lodric would not be alive here today. Why they took her is unknown. However, the stone that you carry, Kaela, and the mark on the child are Etheldar in origin. The Elven scholars of the Order of Truth in Caradul might be able to deduce its meaning. But right now, it is most imperative you get Aislinn back.

Murdoch sits on his haunches as he speaks in low tones to the Heroes. Fortune smiles upon us, my friends. Ibor was seen this morning passing through Elswier, a greasy town southeast of Baden's Bluff on the Pelluria. Nothing more than a backwater, Ibor traveled their often in smuggling operations. The insurgents located their spotted the traitor, but unfortunately they did not know his betrayal. I think your search for Aislinn begins there, my friends. We will see that you get there, but unfortunately we must stay to see how deep Ibor's treachery is in Baden's Bluff.

At that, Ensin steps forward, placing his hand on Starhl's shoulder and looking into Valurel's eyes. You two saved my life, Northman and Elf, in that forsaken alley. I should be dead but for you. I have nothing to offer you other than that which may save your life. Elswier is full of Shadow spies. Do not tally in that smear on Aryth. Seek the one called Ellard, the tanner. He can provide you with knowledge of the area and what direction Ibor left. And possibly who was with him when he left.

Rubbing his chin, Ensin continues, his face apprehensive. We feel Theiv the Black will waste no time sending his tracker, the orc Thule the Widowmaker, the same orc you saw on the beach earlier today, after Ibor. They say his tracking skills are unmatched. You must be careful yourself not to become hunted! The Legate of the Sisterhood of Tender Mercies, Arwen the Raven and her brutal orc sidekick Darguun the Red-Handed, have not been seen today in Baden's Bluff. Could they also be on Ibor's trail? We do not know, but it is reported Arwen consults demons themselves, so she may have some knowledge of Aislinn's location. Mercy on that poor girl if either Arwen or Darguun find her! Beware! The legates Arwen and Theiv have webs that stretch all the way to Erethor! Ensin reaches behind him and pulls out a long object wrapped in oiled rags. Handing it to Starhl, the rags drop at the end, revealing the hilt of Bjorn's Faith. I thought you might be needing this as well.

Bowen stands and embraces Kaela. Smiling at her through tearing eyes, Bowen whispers, Young Kaela. You have such strength in you. You are the core of this venture, this group that searches for Hope. You must stay strong! With that, she pulls up Kaela's hand and stuffs it with several small, clover-like leaves. Have you and your companions rub these between your fingers when things grow darkest.
OOC: Kaela and the party have been given 4 minor charms (2x +2 luck bonus to attack roll for one round, 2x +2 luck bonus to Will saving throw for one round), and 2 lesser charms (1x +1 luck bonus to attack roll for one minute, 1x +1 luck bonus to Will save for one minute).

Murdoch turns and faces Lodric. Clasping the Erenlander's hand, Murdoch smiles. I was honored to stand shoulder to shoulder with you in combat. I have something for you. Fishing in his dark cloak, Murdoch pulls out a small wooden ring. A family heirloom. Legends say it will allow you passage through Erethor, but it has not been tested for one hundred years. Take it, and may it provide you with strength. Slipping the ring on his finger, Lodric notices the wood of the ring seems to twist and writhe, almost as if the wood is alive.
OOC: Lodric has a covenant item, Baden's Legacy. At 2nd level the wearer gains a +2 bonus to all Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks. At 4th level, the ring provides a +1 enhancement bonus to unarmed attacks.

In the hours that follow, Jessup tends to Starhl and Herger, healing their grievous wounds. All are anxious to start the pursuit. And to exact vengeance.

OOC: Since everyone is 4th level now, Herger can use Herger's Pain at 4th level to cast Bear's Endurance once per day and Valurel can use the "mirror" at 4th level as follows: Once per day, the Hero can look into the mirror to steel himself and gain either a +2 bonus to Strength or Dexterity (player’s choice) for 10 rounds.

Story award experience:
1. Escape the Fell with Jodya.
2. Meet up with the insurgents.
3. Stop insurgent bloodshed as they fight over Aislinn.
4. Stop Aislinn's abduction (not awarded).
5. Find some clue to Aislinn's abductors (if abducted).

Last edited:

maddmic

Explorer
Herger is eerily silent while everybody is healed and things are discussed. Once the plan is laid out, he looks at Baden. "I have lost everything. Is it possible to get provisions for us? Also, I do not have my axe. I will try to use this pole as a club, but I must admit I am better with an axe. I doubt that you would have one that I can wield effectively. I just thought I'd ask."

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Bowen stands and embraces Kaela. Smiling at her through tearing eyes, Bowen whispers, Young Kaela. You have such strength in you. You are the core of this venture, this group that searches for Hope. You must stay strong!

Tears well in Kaela's eyes as well. "Thank you for your help, Bowen. I dread the thought of where we would be without you all." She nods gratefully to the collected insurgents.

"Elaural, know that we trust your words. We will continue to trust Queen Aradil and those who serve her. Once we recover Aislinn, I hope we can work together to throw the yoke of oppression from the shoulders of all our peoples."

"But now we must continue to Elswier. We will rest for a few hours so Herger and Starhl can recover their strength. Thanks to your healing talent, Jessup, we will be ready to leave in a short time."

Hrothgar

First Post
Herger
-provisions will be provided including two day's worth of food for the Heroes
-a Large greataxe will be provided to Herger, not easy to find, but the insurgents are more than willing to help!
-the pole was Huge, so I would rule Herger lost it in the avalanche or mines in the Quarries.

Kaela
-the insurgents are happy to have even met you

Remove ads