Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Bihlbo

Explorer
As Mardo listens to the others discuss the message from the trees, he has a look of slight confusion on his face. "Who is the she that the tree spoke of? I assume it is who we are looking for, but why did it say that she doesn't know who she is yet? Maybe she isn't who we think she is?"

Hrothgar

First Post
Luthorien nods to the Heroes. In these Shadow-filled times, the Elves resources are stretched thin. And much to our sorrow, we cannot supply even those who fight the Shadow with us. However, your quest may be folly. It may be true. If true, it could mean a shift in the War Against Shadow. Elaural was convinced your story was true and your intentions genuine. We can offer no less. You are welcome. Luthorien pauses and looks at Mardo and Valurel. The fine gifts of the River Folk are always welcome to us. And your bow will find use in the hands of a Caransil hunter.

Ladriel listens intently to the Heroes' ruminations. The Gnome speaks true. She is an enigma right now. Is she Aislinn, the girl you seek? The divine power that awoke in the north and blessed the girl Aislinn? Or both?

Ladriel turns to Herger and Lodric. As to who the betrayer is, I find it hard to believe the Orc is a betrayer. We generally don't trust their kind, so without the initial trust, how can they betray us? No, I am more concerned the betrayer is someone we now trust. Ibor turned against us. Fallax. The Elves that spirited away Aislinn. No, betrayer is a dark word and I fear its import. Ladriel pauses. As for a winged beast, many are the Shadow's minions. From the story Elaural told, the beast you encountered was the fell terror of Baden's Bluff, a reptile beast under the control of Shadow. It will not have left its domain to seek you here. No, another may have come seeking you, if stories of winged beasts on your trail be true. I wish I could add more.

Luthorien looks directly at Herger, venom in her eye. As for the Widowmaker, he is a killer. A tracker of Shadow. One of the few non-Elves that can hear the Whisper. He skulks Erethor to our dismay, always staying ahead of our hunters. Uncatchable. Wild. And most dangerous, intelligent. Unlike any Orc we have encountered. Make no mistake, Thune is a killer. Ladriel speaks up. I will not dispute what Luthorien has said. Thune has killed Elf, Human, Gnome, Halfling. He is relentless. But, never has he killed the defenseless, the young, the weak, the old. He does not torture. He kills quickly. He lives by his own code of honor and is therefore an exile among his own people. He is an Orc. Killing is his nature. Maybe that killing nature could be turned against the Shadow. If so, what a weapon he could make. As strong-willed as he is, taking orders from his decadent, honorless Legate masters must drive him to rebel whenever he can. Such as the case with relieving Herger's pain.

Luthorien spits. The Widowmaker has killed Elves. If given the chance, I would kill him without hesitation.

Ladriel approaches Kaela meekly. Elaural told us of the stone you carry. The stylized oak tree are known to us in Erethor, but their meanings are lost to us. We encounter them occassionally, on old Elthedar ruins deep in the forest. They are symbols of the lost gods that can no longer hear our cries for help. But, maybe that has now changed. Mayhap the records of the Order of Truth in Caradul could help you decipher its meaning. Whatever it may be, it is touched by the divine, and we all hold our breath that the divine has actually returned.

OOC: All characters have been bumped to fifth level except Kaela. I will wait a few more days for replies or questions and then I will post a new thread for the final chapter of this book!

Last edited:

Remove ads