• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight - ANyone see it on the Streets yet?

NeghVar

First Post
Midnight - Table of Contents

Introduction
Chapter 1: Characters
Chapter 2: Magic
Chapter 3: Eredane
Chapter 4: Erethor
Chapter 5: Northern Erenland
Chapter 6: Southern Erenland
Chapter 7: Central Erenland
Chapter 8: The Eren River Valley
Chapter 9: The Kaladrun Mountains
Chapter 10: The Shadow in the North
Chapter 11: Midnight Campaigns
Chapter 12: Monsters
Chapter 13: On the Run

Enjoy!

Last edited:

NeghVar

First Post
Introduction and Credits - pages 1-16
All color - introduces players and game masters to the setting.

Chapter 1: Characters - pages 17-72
Covers character races, new core classes, new feats, and new weapons.

Chapter 2: Magic - pages 73-89
Covers the Midnight magic sysem, magic/spell points, ritual magic, and magic items.

Chapter 3: Eredane - pages 90-111
Chapter 4: Erethor - pages 112-139
Chapter 5: Northern Erenland - pages 140-154
Chapter 6: Southern Erenland - pages 155-168
Chapter 7: Central Erenland - pages 169-174
Chapter 8: The Eren River Valley - pages 175-181
Chapter 9: The Kaladrun Mountains - pages 182-192
Each of these sections covers the location on Aryth and provides the following details; regional history, languages and reading/writing, goods and barter, religion, trade and craft, sites and features, personalities, governance, ways and traditions, and Against the Shadow notes for the region.

Chapter 10: The Shadow in the North - pages 193-218
Covers quite a bit about the Shadow and his minions...some of the best reading in the book.

Chapter 11: Midnight Campaigns - pages 219-227
Covers how to set the mood and maintain it for a Midnight campaign, as well as, the mechanics of Midnight.

Chapter 12: Monsters - pages 228-237
Covers the Astirax (the Legates' companion I mentioned in a previous post), the Dragon - Xixci, the Dragon - Verlathis, the Dragon - Anaximath, the Oruks (Orc/Ogre crossbreeds), the Wogren (intelligent halfling hunting dogs?), and the Fell. The Fell have three stages; Ungral (recently dead), Faengral (dead a while), and Maelgral (dead even longer). As the Fell progress they get stronger and stronger, but at the price of the levle of intelligence they had in life.

Chapter 13: On the Run - pages 238-250
An adventure for four 1st level characters.

Spell List - pages 251-252
A compilation of the spells by school/level that are available in the Midnight setting.

Index - pages 253-254

This enough for now?

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I'm getting this setting.... wow, am I ever getting this setting.

This sounds like what I've been looking for for awhile- a dark fantasy setting with a Tolkienesque bent- not Tolkienesque as in has elves, dwarves, and orcs- but as in has a similiar approach to good and evil, heroism, separation from the divine, magic levels, history, etc... when I first read the history of the setting in the sample, I knew exactly how this game was conceived:

"Hey, what would Middle Earth be like if Sauron won the war of the Ring? Maybe we should make a setting out of it..."

And that's a thought that I give a big thumbs up. (Not evil victorious, but playing a game where evil was victorious)

But I've got a couple of questions:

I understand how heroic paths work, and that they're applied to PC's, but what about NPC's? Do only "heroes" get them, or do villains and servants of evil get them as well? Should everyone who takes a PC class (not an NPC class) get one? How do you determine this?

The power of all the base races has been increased- however, has the power of the halfbreeds from the PH been increased (Half-Orcs and Half-Elves)? Were they left the same (which I would consider vastly unfair, as I thought they were already the two weakest races)? Were they removed in favor of the new half breeds listed above, or do they still exist?

Is there any section in the book that discusses which Monster Manual creatures and races exist in this world and how they are applied? I've thought that the 3e settings to date have done a poor job of handling this. One of the most important elements of defining a fantasy setting is deciding where the different creatures "fit" in the ecology and history of the world. The Forgotten Realms, for instance, has a notoriously bad track record in this department. A better job of this has been done by Dragonlance, but it would still be nice to see a good list of "what's in and what's out".

What are the core classes? How many are there? Were the Barbarian, Rogue, and Fighter unchanged from their PH equivalent? Is there a class anything like the Bard?

Were any prestige classes included? Are their any guidelines for adapting prestige classes from other sources? How do the class (core and prestige) power levels compare to that of those from the core books and splatbooks?

Is the Midnight magic system different from standard? If so, how does it work?

I'm always on the lookout for a new magic system -- I'll buy a book I'm otherwise not interested in for one. Of course, in this case, I'm quite a bit interested in Midnight for it's own sake...

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Tyler Do'Urden said:
I'm getting this setting.... wow, am I ever getting this setting.

"Hey, what would Middle Earth be like if Sauron won the war of the Ring? Maybe we should make a setting out of it..."

Pretty good intuition there. :)

Hope you don't mind if I answer a few of these questions.

Tyler Do'Urden said:

But I've got a couple of questions:

I understand how heroic paths work, and that they're applied to PC's, but what about NPC's? Do only "heroes" get them, or do villains and servants of evil get them as well? Should everyone who takes a PC class (not an NPC class) get one? How do you determine this?

Only heroes (PCs) get heroic paths, even NPC characters that have PC class levels don't get access to a heroic path. They are reserved for a very special few destined heroes. In your game, this means the PCs, although I can certainly see using heroic paths for heroes turned to the dark side, but to maintain the flavor I would use this very sparingly.

Tyler Do'Urden said:

The power of all the base races has been increased- however, has the power of the halfbreeds from the PH been increased (Half-Orcs and Half-Elves)? Were they left the same (which I would consider vastly unfair, as I thought they were already the two weakest races)? Were they removed in favor of the new half breeds listed above, or do they still exist?

They were indeed removed. In Midnight, the non-human character races are all considered Younger Fey, descended from the Elder Fey who were essentially destroyed by the Sundering. The Elder Fey scattered and over thousands of years became the dwarves, orcs, elves, halflings, and gnomes of the world. The Younger Fey can interbreed, but not with humans, so the half-orc and half-elf from the PHB do not exist.

Tyler Do'Urden said:

Is there any section in the book that discusses which Monster Manual creatures and races exist in this world and how they are applied? I've thought that the 3e settings to date have done a poor job of handling this. One of the most important elements of defining a fantasy setting is deciding where the different creatures "fit" in the ecology and history of the world. The Forgotten Realms, for instance, has a notoriously bad track record in this department. A better job of this has been done by Dragonlance, but it would still be nice to see a good list of "what's in and what's out".

We give specifics on some creatures, like dragons, but didn't go into detail on others. I understand why DMs would want this information, however, so I'll be happy to answer questions about it here, on the Midnight Yahoo Group, or feel free to email me privately. The setting definitely isn't a traditional fantasy setting, and it's my opinion that too many hydra/chimera/medusa type creatures takes the players' minds off where they should be--namely escaping and foiling Izrador's minions.

You'll find some general guidelines in the section on the Mechanics of Midnight, which discusses how certain monster abilities fit into the setting. You can extrapolate from that what's a good idea and what isn't, but like I said I'll be happy to answer questions about it.

Tyler Do'Urden said:

What are the core classes? How many are there? Were the Barbarian, Rogue, and Fighter unchanged from their PH equivalent? Is there a class anything like the Bard?

The new core classes are:

Channeler- devoted spellcaster, with good skills and a special ability depending on his spellcasting focus (spiritual, charismatic, or hermetic)

Defender- the people's champion, unarmed fighter with a great list of special attacks and defenses

Legate- evil clerics of the dark god Izrador. They, along with their astirax companions, hunt magic users and magic throughout the land.

Wildlander- a ranger without spellcasting, also has a huge list of special abilities he can choose from so he can specialize in any number of concepts. Big thanks to Kevin Wilson for the inspiration for this class.

You can also use Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue from the PHB. All other base classes have spellcasting capability and therefore cannot be used, with special exceptions (see below).

EDIT- technically I suppose you could use the monk, but we think the defender is a much better choice for Midnight.

Tyler Do'Urden said:

Were any prestige classes included? Are their any guidelines for adapting prestige classes from other sources? How do the class (core and prestige) power levels compare to that of those from the core books and splatbooks?

We do have some prestige classes in the main book, and a bunch more in Against the Shadow, the player's guide that should be out in May. Among the prestige classes can be found the wizard and druid, Midnight's versions of the two core classes but integrated into the new magic system.

There aren't guidelines for adapting PrCs from other sources. Spellcasting classes will require some work to make them usable with Midnight's magic system, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out what changes need to be made, especially once Against the Shadow comes out and you have a lot more Midnight spellcasting PrCs to compare.

Hope all this has been some help, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book when it comes out!

Last edited:

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Is the Midnight magic system different from standard? If so, how does it work?

I'm always on the lookout for a new magic system -- I'll buy a book I'm otherwise not interested in for one. Of course, in this case, I'm quite a bit interested in Midnight for it's own sake...

Yep, totally new magic system in Midnight. Legates still cast just like clerics, but since they are evil you won't be playing one, right? ;)

Otherwise, we've taken magic out of the class system and made it classless. Anyone can pick up magic ability by taking certain feats, and then their character level (rather than spellcasting class level) determines the power of their spells and the level of spells they can learn. Of course, the channeler gains some benefits that make them better spellcasters than most, but anyone can learn to cast just about any spell they want. Of course, there's more to it than that, but there's an overview (I've spelled it out more completely in another thread about alternate magic systems, but I can't search to find it for you).

Hope you'll enjoy the book!

Erebus Red

First Post
This is interesting reading - sounds like something I've been looking for.

Would someone mind expanding just a little on heroic paths? Sounds very Joseph Campbell (which is a good thing). What is it?

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Erebus Red said:
Would someone mind expanding just a little on heroic paths? Sounds very Joseph Campbell (which is a good thing). What is it?
Check out the preview here.:D

Oh, and do please discuss the ecology stuff on the mail list... While I'm more the lurker on it, I'd be most interested in seeing it. Might even compile a download from it if it's nice and juicy.:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads