• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight Classes?

redwing00

First Post
Im going to be running Midnight and I was thinking of adding a making a few variations.

I was going to allow ALL classes/PrCs/feats/spells from the following books: PHB 3.0 (my players like it better), DMG 3.5, Complete Warrior, Against the Shadow, Midnight Camapign Setting, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness

What do you think of adding such classes from these books? Especially the bard and paladin (I will make alterations on each) The bard will have no spell list or spells per day. He will get the magecraft feat at 1st level as well. The paladin will be the non-spellcasting version from CW.

I can just see someone rebeling against the shadow through wit and words. And the paladin would want to restore the ways of the old gods although he would not get any spells granted to him.

Any ideas? Any other book suggestions?

Snoweel

First Post
redwing00 said:
I was going to allow ALL classes/PrCs/feats/spells from the following books: PHB 3.0 (my players like it better)

My initial reaction is to be a bit wary of this. Do you know why they like it better?

redwing00

First Post
Snoweel said:
My initial reaction is to be a bit wary of this. Do you know why they like it better?

well mostly becuase Midnight is ran in 3.0, everyone is used to 3.0, they all have 3.0 books, and don't like changes to classes that theyve become well familiar with.

any other ideas?

Snoweel

First Post
My advice is probably no good to you given our differing playstyles.

But I'll give it to you anyway. :D

I'm a firm believer in 'less is more' when it comes to options vs restrictions, in that a setting that allows every class, race, feat, PrC, etc. is so full of flavour it becomes a bland mush.

Just my opinion, of course.

While it's noble of you to allow the players to fulfill their visions for their characters, you're the DM. You're the one putting in the lion's share of the work between sessions, and you should be concentrating on your vision for the setting.

One of the defining features of Midnight is that there are no tangible gods of Good. And therefore no paladins or clerics, other than Legates.

Take that away, and Midnight becomes less like Midnight and more like every other generic D&D setting.

So if you can make your players see the sense in not wanting to be able to grow up to be absolutely anything in this particular campaign, you might possible have a lot of fun with a slightly limited range of character-creation options.

Besides, limits are freeing.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Snoweel said:
One of the defining features of Midnight is that there are no tangible gods of Good. And therefore no paladins or clerics, other than Legates.

Take that away, and Midnight becomes less like Midnight and more like every other generic D&D setting.

And what a waist that would be. Seriously, Snoweel has offers some good advice here.

My suggestion:

Use nothing but the three core book and anything actually designed for Midnight.
Oh, and check Tome of Sorrows in my sig. ;)

Last edited:

Salad Shooter

First Post
Snoweel said:
Using the spell-less version of the Paladin from the CW could possibly be justified, if one takes the Paladin as a warrior who upholds the true meaning of all that is good and what not, not as a holy warrior.

Phebius

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
And what a waist that would be. Seriously, Snoweel has offers some good advice here.

My suggestion:

Use nothing but the three core book and anything actually designed for Midnight.
Oh, and check Tome of Sorrows in my sig. ;)

And if you really feel the need for a Paladin, check out the aformentioned site and check out our Paladin as a Legendary class thread. THey call me Semah_G_Noj over there.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
redwing00,

Do you post as Beowulf over at Against the Shadow. If you do, ignore this. If you don't, may I suggest taking a look at this thread: http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=936 as these points are getting discussed there as well.

I will also echo the comments of those who posted before me: part of the charm of Midnight is its alternative class system that matches the lower magic feel. However, IMO and YMMV as always.

Salad Shooter,

Personally, I would avoid even that. I think that before progressing in a class that serves an exemplar of all that is good etc... a character really needs to be tried and tested. As posted on the thread that GNS has posted the link for, I think to play a paladin-like character in a world like Midnight really requires some effort. As such, I think it is better modelled as a legendary class (basically a super prestige class) that cannot be acquired until 12th-15th level rather than even a prestige class.

However, that's only my opinion.

Cheers
D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads