• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight Classes?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Snoweel said:
(snip) I'm a firm believer in 'less is more' when it comes to options vs restrictions, in that a setting that allows every class, race, feat, PrC, etc. is so full of flavour it becomes a bland mush. (snip)

I have to agree with that. Even in my FR campaigns I limit what is allowed into the game. To me, PrCs should reflect the world not just be another power-up option,.

I have absolutely no problem with PCs being min/maxed or optimised but I just want that to be done in a manner consistent with the world. Heck, I often suggest variant builds to my players so that they can get the most out of their characters.

The sense of verisimilitude: it's just as important for the DM to feel this as it is for the players. ;)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The addition of Midnight's Heroic Path mechanic allows PCs who play like Paladins but are mechanically "legal" in Midnight.

It's a great setting, and I encourage you to take a hard line on the classes allowed. Encourage your players to use Midnight mechanics -- Feats for spellcasting, Heroic Paths, etc. -- to make the characters they want. Learn these mechanics yourself so you can make suggestions.

Ask the players to give the setting a chance before changing things. It's got a great feel -- don't let your players ruin that feel just because it's unfamiliar. They'll ruin their own fun if you let them.

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Oh, and as they say in the Midnight setting: it's not Low Magic, it's Rare Magic.

Magic is cool, magic is powerful, magic is dangerous, and magic is rare.

-- N

redwing00

First Post
Thanks for all the ideas! I will have to relook everything over before allowing/disallowing it based upone the story and the world itself not players who want to fight and defeat Izradur!

By the way: yes I do post over on the other boards as Beowulf, just thought I'd try and get some more opinions over here becuase there are a lot more people on this board and I see quite a few threads about Midnight.

oh and one more question---I might be changing the entire setting here but I just saw a post on this thread that stated that Midnight is not low magic, but rare magic. Does anyone think that it might be better to be both? I think a game without any of the "Greater Spellcasting" feats/schools would be even more stylistic. (not going to actually do that as of now....its my first time running this setting and first time DMing so I'd like to try and stick to most of the rules)

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Redwing00/Beowulf,

You doppelganger, you! ;)

IMO, I would leave greater spellcasting in, at least until you've had a chance to play with the existing ruleset.

I don't think the distinction between low and rare magic is that important: it's really just semantics IMO.

Nifelhein

First Post
And if I were you... I would say, maek your characters and let the future be deecided, options are the ones the book allows right now, all else is for those who survive and IF they do...

And don't come rhe saying I like that class because I am used to it or you would not chaneg your car to a new one because you are used to it? ;)

And yes, you doppelganger! ;)

Remove ads