• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Midnight] I resisted and resisted....

EarthsShadow

First Post
I need money also so I can get Against the Shadow. That is such a great supplement book to Midnight.

Well, if I ever see some Scarred Lands stuff on ebay, I know one person I can suspect for changing their minds to a great world from a decent world.

Rolemancer

First Post
Midnight d20

I paged through it at the store and one part stopped me dead and I put it back on the shelf.

The no Paladins, magic type stuff. Can't remember exactly, but what is it again? No Clerics, Paladins and Wizards or what? It eliminated quite a few fun classes or looked liked it did with a paragraph I found in there.

Even though I don't sound like I know what I'm talking about, :D , it caused great hesitation. The setting looked pretty cool right up to that point.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I agree that there is a definite lack of core classes in the book. In fact I would consider that its greatest weakness. Personally I would consider running it using all the main D&D classes, but tweak them a bit to fit the setting.

Olive

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: [Midnight] I resisted and resisted....

Wraith Form said:
I don't ask for it to be moved to get more posts because....uhh...it's...erm...an underground movement. Yeah. That's it. Underground movement. And we don't need more posts. 'Cause we're...uhh...underground.

Word. I can dig it.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Alright, I finally took some time away from my writing to actually start reading this thing. 25 pages later its time for beds, my eyes are bleary, and I can't wait to find out more about this world. I am liking it quite a bit so far.

Renocide

Explorer
Ugg...Im really wanting to pick this up but....

No magic? Is it completely void of magic all together or is it just a "low-magic" type setting? Can someone go into a little bit more detail on the magic that IS in the game? If there is any.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Renocide said:

No magic? Is it completely void of magic all together or is it just a "low-magic" type setting? Can someone go into a little bit more detail on the magic that IS in the game? If there is any.

Midnight can be defined as a "low magic" setting. Anyone can cast magic if they take the right feats (Magecraft and Spellcasting), but only the Channeler class can do it often. It uses a spell point system where each level costs 1 spell point to cast. After your spell points run out, you take temporary CON damage. There are also no Bards, Clerics, Paladins, Rangers (as in the PHB), Sorcerers or Wizards (as in the PHB).

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Renocide said:

In the book we refer to it as rare magic rather than low magic, and go to great lengths to explain what we mean and what this means for the world in terms of the usual D&D archetypes and systems. Magic is just as powerful as it is in a standard D&D setting, it's just not seen as often, which in some cases makes it more powerful. :D

As for the core classes for Midnight, there are 7 of them, although one is purely an evil class making it appropriate for NPCs only in most cases: barbarian, fighter, rogue, channeler, defender, legate, and wildlander.

Wizards and druids make an appearance, but as prestige classes rather than core classes. The reason there are no clerics or paladins is simple: there are no gods! Well, there's one god left, but he's the evil god that rules the world, so not much hope there! :) It's true that the setting demands different rules for many things that are standard to a normal D&D game, but we didn't want this to be a normal D&D game! Midnight is a setting that encourages true heroism rather than just killing monsters and taking their stuff, although you definitely still do that. ;) I think for everything we took away we added something cool, but if you only like clerics and paladins....oh wait, you can take the faithful, guardian, or healer heroic path... :)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Wil beat me to it, but I'll go ahead and say what I was going to anyway. :p

Yes. there are few core classes. However, the Channeler is basicly three classes rolled into one. Oh, and lets not forget the Heroic Paths which are, in my opinion, brilliant.

So, given all the:
Core classes
Races (including several new ones)
Heroic paths
Feats
Skills
&
Multiclassing options that don't nerf spellcasters.

My only problem is that I have too many character options that I want to play.

BTW - I sold my Scarred Lands stuff to a buddy of mine so it want be appearing on E-Bay. The good thing is, I went right out and bought Against the Shadow (great suppliment!!) and I ordered Crown of Shadow from Amazon.com.

Unfortunately Amazon says it may be up to July 7th before I get it. :(

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
I ordered Crown of Shadow from Amazon.com.

Unfortunately Amazon says it may be up to July 7th before I get it. :(
That's why I killed two birds with one stone and purchased directly from Fantasy Flight's website: they'll possibly ship faster (although I had to pay a dollar or two more for shipping), AND Fantasy Flight directly receives my cash-monies, which is important to me because I want to give them large bundles of my cold, hard, green cash monies.

Remove ads