• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight Second Edition

LeapingShark

First Post
I flipped through it at the FLGS yesterday, it looks nice! I kicked the bindings *snicker-snack!*, and nothing fell out. :) I like the encounter tables set alongside each zoom map, nice touch! The parade of pictures in the back showing each supplement book is a good idea, but at the same time a very dirty (ad) trick!

NTZ

First Post
I picked up my copy of MN2E on Friday. Pretty much a must-buy for me since I am currently running a Midnight campaign. Two of my players have also purchased it mainly because they are having so much fun with the setting. I'll be giving them their copies tonight.

NTZ

BWP

Explorer
I'm currently running a 3.5 Midnight campaign, so this doesn't even fall into the category of "optional" as far as I'm concerned. :p The original book(s) work OK with 3.5 for the most part, but there's a few little niggling bits here and there that a true 3.5 revision should solve. I'm also very much looking forward to the much-needed expanded regional descriptions.

Razuur

First Post
DaveMage said:
Nope!

Arcana Evolved is NOT d20! It's OGL. I think Conan, also OGL was $50 as well.

...but not d20.

;)

Edit - However, as Crothian said, Stargate SG1 d20 was, indeed, $50.

You got me there. i tend to lump D20 and OGl stuff together.

You are right on the Conan thing too....

thats two for the mage....

Razuur gots zippo

Banshee16

First Post
Before I do this, I'm not sure if this is what's called "cross posting"....but I wrote a summary of the book in another thread on EN World. Apparently some other users found it helpful..they asked that I post it to the reviews section, and I was going to, but there was a huge lightning storm that knocked out our power last night, and I haven't had a chance yet.

"I haven't it up yet, but was looking through it at the store.

For one, though I am paranoid about it since I had the experience of having two copies of the first book deteriorate, the binding seems stronger. The book feels heftier, and is printed on much better paper.

All the material from the 1st Ed. is included, plus most of the material from Against the Shadow (the player supplement). They've reworked the wildlander, defender, and channeler classes. The wildlander gets his abilities in tiers....so a Tier 2 ability depends on you having the Tier 1 ability it depends on etc. One of the abilities they can now choose to select is Animal Companion...but it's not a given unless you want to go that path.

Channelers have more abilities....every few levels you can choose an ability, dependent upon which path you're on (ie. hermetic, spiritual, charismatic). The spell schools have been changed...it's harder to use invocations as apparently each costs 2 spell points more than the level...so magic missile is 3 points. This makes the evoker type mage far less likely, and makes players dependent on the other magic.

There's a whole barter system in there now.

The races have all been reorganized....ie. for the elves, it shows the base elf abliities, then for each subrace, it shows the abilities they have that differ from the main elf abilities.

There is a lot of information about the Legates and the order of shadow now....subgroups, ranks, tests, all sorts of stuff.

They've got reworked rules for channeling rituals, herbs and several other things that make those systems work way better.

They've got a section that details how the various types of monsters in Midnight are affected.....so Fey, Elementals, and Outsiders all get the spirit template, becoming incorporeal. Fey can manifest their solid forms in nature areas. Outsiders are bodiless spirits trapped in the world (think of the movie Fallen), who can gain their traditional abilities by possessing other beings....be they sentient humanoid, animal, or plant. The longer they possess a form, the more that form becomes like their original shape. So, you could have a balor that is a spirit, or another balor that has the physical form, because it possessed an NPC 500 years ago, and slowly mutated his body....like in the Diablo II video game.

There are clarified rules on a lot of things aside from that.

Also, the book is reorganized. The material makes a more logical progression and is divided into different books. The first section is for players and has general world info and character creation rules etc. The later sections include magic and how it works, sections on the geography/culture/descriptions of cities etc., a section on monsters, etc.

Overall, the book is pretty worth. I haven't DMed Midnight yet, but am on the verge of starting a game, and I think the book seems pretty sweet.

My only complaint is one that is admittedly subjective....I'm not entirely a fan of all the new art in the book. But aside from that, thumbs up!

As to Crothian's question....all the material from the first book is in there, though in some places edited etc. However, they've also included most of the material (though not all the flavour text) from the Against the Shadow supplement, *and* added about 40,000 more words of brand new stuff. In addition, the book has the advantage of coming out after the "feel" and "history" of the setting have settled somewhat through the addition of new books, a vibrant fan community etc., so the entire effort feels more cohesive, if that makes any sense. Even though the first book was pretty good, this one feels more like "everything you need to run the game is in here" than the first book did.

I have some changes I'm not a fan of....like making evocations even harder to use than they are.....but that's just a personal thing. It'll likely lead to a more gritty feel to the game, players having to be smarter, and more of an eldritch feel to magic....less flash and bang, more rituals, more using divinations, subte illusions and transmutations, etc. Others, like what they've done with Outsiders, Fey etc. seem really cool, very flavourful, and easily ported into another setting.

Some material has apparently been taken out....a few of the heroic paths from the first book, though they've added in most of those from the Against the Shadow book, so it balances out."

Banshee

Belen

Adventurer
I finally got my copy today. The binding was bad. The only thing holding the cover together was the end pages. I was disappointed, but my FLGS had another copy that was glued correctly.

I love Midnight, but no clue where they found their printer. It is an awesome book, except that they still did not put in pics of dwarrows, dwelfs or dworgs!

Remove ads