• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mighty Composite bows that adjust their bonus

Zad

First Post
There are two bows in the books that magically adjust the amount of "mighty-ness" to the strength bonus of the user.

One is the elven greatbow, in the Epic Level handbook. The other is the Bow of Mighty Pulling in Arms and Equipment.

With 3.0, it never really was a big deal - you could use a bow that was stronger than you were with no penalty, but with 3.5 that is no longer so. This begs the question "How much does this ability cost?"

I tried to decompose the price of these two items, but unfortunately they're both complicated.

The epic one is only fully functional for an elf. It's +2 for a non elf. For an elf it's +5, mighty self-adjusting, keen, with unerring accuracy. (Now that ability is no loner relevant under 3.5, however it was a +6 bonus so that's all that matters.) Using a 30% price break (per 3.0 dmg) I come up with a market value radically less than what this is priced at.

The bow from A&E uses a move-equivalent action so is likewise hard to compare.

One thing I'm sure of - this is not just a +1 or whatever to the bonus of the bow for pricing purposes - it's some kind of straight addition. Anyone heard anything even remotely official on how this ability is priced?

Remove ads