• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls Dungeons & Dragons 5e interview, 6/26/14

Cybit

First Post
My hope is this indicates fewer references to spells for monsters in general. Limit spells to actual spellcasters.

So far from my experience this is true; they may "replicate" some spells (IE, super similar effects), but they don't use the actual spell very often; this way you don't have the law of unintended consequences come up if they modify a spell for PC use.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Also, something that I don't has been mentioned yet is Mearls said that the adventure that comes after Tyranny of Dragons is finished, and they're currently working on the one after that one.
Did he actually say that or did he say that the story bible for the next adventure is finished?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Key Points:

* multiple pantheons in the PHB
* Kender and Warforged race in the DMG
* feats still optional
* "Battle master" fighter with maneuvers
* sorcerer Wild Magic table: sorcery points augment spells (~metamagic) or for more spell slots. Wild Mage if you spend sorcery points, you role a d20 to see if you get a Wild magic surge (1/20). You can also use luck to alter a die roll.
* sorcery subclasses are Wild Magic and Draconic magic.

* (17:40) Organized play adventures distributed for free. Intent to be played in stores, but som options for online play. Program will be assessed 6 months after launch.
* (20:00) D&D Insider: 4th ed tools still available by subscription.
* No announcements for the magazines
* different ways for building monsters/encounters (3e, 4e)
* DMG will have table of sample stats by CR.
* Beholder eye rays are specific effects, not spell replications.
* CR is a party of this level or higher. (so you have an xp budget, and look at monsters of a certain CR or lower to spend the budget).
* Essentials tiles: in DMG (or PHB?) still using 1" grid. No product plans for more.
* Mike Mearls' favorite monster is the Ogre Mage.
* Basic D&D (just character creation, levels 1-20) will be available on July 3.

This makes me very sad, so the only choices for a sorcerer are going to be overpowering monstrous flavour (with hopefully non intrusive mechanics) or negligible flavour with highly intrusive mechanics. What happened to simple flavour with simple mechanics? Why do I have to be forced to play an extra minigame just because I don't like wizards?

Cybit

First Post
This makes me very sad, so the only choices for a sorcerer are going to be overpowering monstrous flavour (with hopefully non intrusive mechanics) or negligible flavour with highly intrusive mechanics. What happened to simple flavour with simple mechanics? Why do I have to be forced to play an extra minigame just because I don't like wizards?

I'd hold your horses before you make any assumptions about how Sorcerer subclasses play out. :p

Wolfskin

Explorer
Didn't draconic Sorcerers were the baseline in 3.X, though? In flavor, if not in mechanics, at least. I remember the fluff citing many times how sorcerer's had draconic heritage.

enigma5915

Explorer
I half expect that WOTC might hand the magazines over to a 3rd party since they are limited in staff. And I would expect it to be Paizo again! WOTC is showing a willingness to work with outside professionals. This would be great if it happens. Print mags again and by Paizo... A guy can dream. :)

Talath

Explorer

I imagine the days of the sorcerer and the wizard being almost the same except for spell casting mechanics is long gone.

I for one am really freaking excited about the prospect of playing a wild Mage.

Cybit

First Post
I imagine the days of the sorcerer and the wizard being almost the same except for spell casting mechanics is long gone.

I for one am really freaking excited about the prospect of playing a wild Mage.

To put it in perspective, I only let my younger players play either sorcerers or warlocks due to their simplicity. (Kids + preparing spells = AAAHAHHAHAHA they never finish)

Remove ads