Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - It really gets old when someone like [MENTION=50658]Rem[/MENTION]athilis feels the need to announce to the world that he is going to block you. I would report the post but as he blocked me immediately after he posted I do not have the ability to report the post.

Heh. I get the feeling that [MENTION=50658]Rem[/MENTION]althalis should really avoid warlord threads. I've been blocked for more than a year now because of the last go around when I called him on his crap for trying to shut down the conversation.

Which, to me, is why you never have any real conversation about warlords. This particular one has been a better one, and, at a guess, because it involves Mearls. The last time warlords got brought up, two warlord threads spawned half a dozen shout down threads, polls for blocking warlord discussion and multiple calls to force warlord discussions into their own discussion forum to stop "polluting" the main forum.

For every constructive post, you have to wade through a dozen garbage posts about how we should be content with what we have, how warlords don't belong in 5e, how we should just make it up ourselves ad nauseam.

This has been about the first time that any constructive conversation was even possible. Thanks [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION].

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The appropriate way to deal with somebody who has blocked you is to move on. It's over.

I see. Thanks for the clarification! Also, please remember that ruling when someone tries to report something I did that was against the rules after I blocked them

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see. Thanks for the clarification! Also, please remember that ruling when someone tries to report something I did that was against the rules after I blocked them

Your attempt to rules-lawyer me in my own house is only going to irritate me. This, also, is not an advised tactic.

FrogReaver said:
So can we debunk the arguments that a Warlord doesn't fit the design of 5e yet.
It's not that the Warlord concept doesn't fit within 5E. It's that the Warlord class doesn't (easily) fit within 5E. I can think of tons of character concepts that at least overlap with the Warlord concept. The problem is that they are not precisely defined by the Warlord concept (at least the characters that would actually be adventurers).

If I had to describe it in concrete terms, it's like you have a choice between a Block, a Paper, a Balloon, and a Red. It's easy to have a Red Block, or a Red Balloon, or a Red Paper, but having a Red by itself just leaves you asking, "Red what?"

4E gave you a Red, and a Green, and a Blue, and a Purple, and mixed those together with Blocks and Balloons and Papers. They gave you puzzle pieces, and asked you to solve the puzzle of creating the character. 5E doesn't approach character creation that way, except somewhat in how it handles subclasses. So when you ask for a Red, well, clearly that's a subclass. But you don't want it to be a subclass.

Paul Farquhar asked for character examples, and the first response was a real-life team coach. The main problem is that the coach isn't playing the game. The adventurers are the players on the field. In order to bring the coach in as a playable character/class, you have to figure out how to get the coach out on the field with the team. So that entire analogy kind of falls apart. This is the same as my example of the strategist in the castle. He may be a warlord, but he's not an adventurer.

I gave my own example answers, and noted that every single one of them is really a subclass of another class, or a multiclass, or something similar. Warlord as a character concept just doesn't seem to stand on its own. Warlord as a mechanic easily stands on its own, because mechanics are character-agnostic. The problem is that the design of a class presumes it carries enough weight to be strongly used as a character concept.

I'll go back and ask a variant on Paul's question:

What fictional (or even real) character would you try to design that fits the following criteria:

1) Is a Warlord
2) Is not a Fighter
3) Is an adventurer (ie: not just the strategist who stays in the castle while the army goes out to fight, or the old man in the bar handing out quest hooks)

Of those that qualify, which of them are not actually Rogue/Warlord, or Mage/Warlord, or Priest/Warlord, or Barbarian/Warlord?

Remember, I'm asking for a character, not a collection of mechanics. I'm asking if you can be a new player wanting to a play a character like [XX], and find the best fit in the system to support said character is Warlord, and only Warlord.

Not being able to separate two classes of idea is not in itself 'wrong' or 'bad'. Gishes are the personification of that, mixing the magic user with the fighter. On the other hand, there is no class called 'Gish'.

mellored said:
First Responder: Real world rescue workers, though obviously, these would need to fantasy up, all will have first aid training. I put a quick version here.
*Police: Chases criminals. Trys to disarm and arrest. Carry's a sidearm (hand-crossbow)
*Fire Brigade: Coordinates a bucket brigade. Drags victims out of burning buildings. Carries an axe.
*Paramedic (Battlefield medic?): non-magic pacifist healer.
*Guy with St. Bernard searching for avalance survivors.
*Lifeguard: ... maybe...

Closest analog of police is the city watch/city guard, which are your basic fighter/soldier types. Paramedic seems to map to alchemist/chemist/medic. A potentially non-magical supporter type, sure, but not a warlord. Rescue dog handler and lifeguard and first responders may also be non-magic supporters, but are, again, not warlords. That little 'war' part is kind of crucial.

Lelouch does work, though. Leia also sort of does, though she also sort of doesn't fit any character class.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If I was going to choose a character type that fits the warlord, I'd say that the knights of the rose, as the leaders of the knights of Solamnia would fit the warlord perfectly.

Remathilis

Legend

What fictional (or even real) character would you try to design that fits the following criteria:

1) Is a Warlord
2) Is not a Fighter
3) Is an adventurer (ie: not just the strategist who stays in the castle while the army goes out to fight, or the old man in the bar handing out quest hooks)

Of those that qualify, which of them are not actually Rogue/Warlord, or Mage/Warlord, or Priest/Warlord, or Barbarian/Warlord?

When I was coming up with my own list; I kept wanting to list "mentors" like Obi-Wan or Master Splinter, but they are far more defined as akin to paladins or monks than warlords. The same was true of characters like Skeletor (who is a mage/warlord it's there ever was one). I guess a character like Cobra Commander would be a full Warlord...

For me, the warlord could fill the same design space as a barbarian; a warrior who could resemble a fighter when squinting, but has his own function and mechanics. Like a barbarian, he could fill the role of tank/Frontline combatant, but while doing so he is buffing, healing, and maneuvering. (Unlike a barbarian, whose abilities are all self-buffing, the warlord would be ally-buffing). This would probably mean the lazylord gets ignored, but I'd gladly trade that for a warlord that can fill in for the party warrior.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's not that the Warlord concept doesn't fit within 5E. It's that the Warlord class doesn't (easily) fit within 5E. I can think of tons of character concepts that at least overlap with the Warlord concept. The problem is that they are not precisely defined by the Warlord concept (at least the characters that would actually be adventurers).

This sounds like a critique that could be copied almost word for word regarding the 5e rogue concept.

If I had to describe it in concrete terms, it's like you have a choice between a Block, a Paper, a Balloon, and a Red. It's easy to have a Red Block, or a Red Balloon, or a Red Paper, but having a Red by itself just leaves you asking, "Red what?"

4E gave you a Red, and a Green, and a Blue, and a Purple, and mixed those together with Blocks and Balloons and Papers. They gave you puzzle pieces, and asked you to solve the puzzle of creating the character. 5E doesn't approach character creation that way, except somewhat in how it handles subclasses. So when you ask for a Red, well, clearly that's a subclass. But you don't want it to be a subclass.

I would love for it to be a subclass but it won't work being a subclass. Mike Mearls Warlord subclass will totally fail (it always does. kind of like superhero villain plots). It will either fail for hitting the right strength on warlord abilities but being too strong for a fighter subclass or it will fail for being balanced for a fighter subclass and thus not give enough strength to the various warlord abilities it has. Hopefully I'm wrong, but he has tried to give us warlordy features multiple times now in a fighter subclass and the ideas keep flopping.

Paul Farquhar asked for character examples, and the first response was a real-life team coach. The main problem is that the coach isn't playing the game. The adventurers are the players on the field. In order to bring the coach in as a playable character/class, you have to figure out how to get the coach out on the field with the team. So that entire analogy kind of falls apart. This is the same as my example of the strategist in the castle. He may be a warlord, but he's not an adventurer.

Yes. It's more of a team than a coach/player relationship. The reason coach/player gets brought up is more to illustrate healing abilities and such than it is to illustrate a full fledged warlord class.

I think for your best examples you will have to take a close look at war movies. Sometimes there's an order given that means almost certain death and there's that one team member (not always the one in charge either) that urges everyone on and helps them and provides sound tactical advice so much that the team leader usually listens to him. Sometimes he's even able to yell at comrades and have them get up and fight on. That's the kind of warlord we are looking for. Many times that character is the person in charge of the group as well. In those cases it's harder to separate out what we are talking about. But you'll find what you are looking for in war movies I think. I can't name any explicit examples off the top of my head.

With all this said, a warlord is almost always a fighting man of sorts. But the way he helps others fight better and longer is always he's defining trait. He doesn't have to be the most accurate, he doesn't have to kill the most enemy soldiers, he doesn't even have to be the team leader. He just has to help his allies fight better. Give them a reason for fighting on etc. This is opposed to the fighter whose defining trait is he's one the biggest bad@$$es around.

I gave my own example answers, and noted that every single one of them is really a subclass of another class, or a multiclass, or something similar. Warlord as a character concept just doesn't seem to stand on its own. Warlord as a mechanic easily stands on its own, because mechanics are character-agnostic. The problem is that the design of a class presumes it carries enough weight to be strongly used as a character concept.

Then rogues shouldn't exist. They aren't strong enough to stand on their own. Every d&d rogue is just a person that can fight decently well and is good at skills. A fighter subclass would have been sufficient. If rogues exist as their own class in the design space then so should warlords. If barbarians exists as their own class in the design space then so should warlords.

If D&D ever goes to a single fighting man class for everything then I'll back off and agree that warlord has no place as a class.

1) Is a Warlord
2) Is not a Fighter

A soldier who excels at inspiring and giving tactical advice to his allies. Most often in stories warlords are the actual leaders and for good reason. But that's not always the case and since I know better than to provide an example of a warlord that's an authority figure (been there done that) then this is the best I can do at the moment

None. In 5e D&D Fighters, Barbarians and rogues are all capable fighting men. Why is it suddenly a problem to add in another fighting man class with some different mechanics?

Remember, I'm asking for a character, not a collection of mechanics. I'm asking if you can be a new player wanting to a play a character like [XX], and find the best fit in the system to support said character is Warlord, and only Warlord.

The best examples that can be given are all characters that are in a position of leadership which are automatically disqualified from this discussion because you and others will always blame their abilities on their leadership position instead of their leadership position on their abilities.

Not being able to separate two classes of idea is not in itself 'wrong' or 'bad'. Gishes are the personification of that, mixing the magic user with the fighter. On the other hand, there is no class called 'Gish'.

Rogues and Barbarians are both examples of classes that were separated from fighter that are really fighter barbarians and fighter rogues. D&D fared just fine with those splits. You're not giving any reasons why a warlord is any different

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I still marvel that ranger is its own class. How is it not a fighter subclass? (Like it was originally in 1e.) The 5e eldritch knight is fighter plus wizard spells. The 5e ranger could easily have been fighter plus druid spells.

In fact, if the ranger was a fighter subclass, it would be easy to build a nonmagical ranger, with the same options for the base fighter, that a spellcaster ranger would choose.

That said. I am happy that the 4e archer ranger is the 5e scout, a dexterous rogue subclass. That makes sense. I suggested rogue for archer early on, and I am glad the designers went this direction.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I would love for it to be a subclass but it won't work being a subclass. Mike Mearls Warlord subclass will totally fail (it always does. kind of like superhero villain plots). It will either fail for hitting the right strength on warlord abilities but being too strong for a fighter subclass or it will fail for being balanced for a fighter subclass and thus not give enough strength to the various warlord abilities it has. Hopefully I'm wrong, but he has tried to give us warlordy features multiple times now in a fighter subclass and the ideas keep flopping.

I agree the previous attempts to construe the warlord tradition as 5e subclasses have failed. I dont begrudge your reasonable fears.

On the other hand, modeling the warlord on the eldritch knight spell slots allows neutral design space.

It is reasonable to spend ‘spell slots’ to grant extra attacks.

It might work.

Even tho the eldritch spells only go to slot level 4, the slots are being used to grant an other player a normal action. So, this grant can balance at low and high levels. Especially since, nonselfishly, other players and the team as a whole are benefiting from the granted extra actions.

Remove ads