• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

So I wanna ask something real quick.

If you can replicate the Ranger and Rogue easily with just a background and/or a Fighter subclass, shouldn't you be able to do that with the Warlord?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

If you can replicate the Ranger and Rogue easily with just a background and/or a Fighter subclass, shouldn't you be able to do that with the Warlord?

Yep. Just depends on how much crunch you want behind it. I think to some degree players like classes that have mechanics that help their character behave like they envision their character behaving. Thus rogues get sneak attack and expertise. Barbarians get Rage and reckless attack. Ranger's get natural explores and favored enemy.

I can roleplay the heck out of a champion fighter that shouts at allies and tries to help them or that always thinks tactically and gives the party tactical advice before going into battle. If you are asking if there has to be crunch. There definitely doesn't. But when other concepts that don't need crunch get it and the Warlord is just like those concepts and doesn't... I've got to ask, what do you have against the Warlord?

Actually, don't answer that, just leave all Warlord threads and never return! The world would be a happier place :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Am I missing it? Where's the review of what he put out most recently?

Mearls went really slow as he got bogged down in specifics. There was a review a few pages back but I think it was more a link to what covered by Mearls followed up with some comments on it

Zardnaar

Legend

Those classes have a bit more oomph behind them and history/niche/role. If you tried hard enough you could have 3 classes in the game but then you do not really have D&D. My ideal number is 8 or 9 classes. Basically the 5E PHB minus Barbarian, Sorcerer, and maybe Monk none of which I consider that iconic.

mellored

Legend
Am I missing it? Where's the review of what he put out most recently?
It was pretty much what people expected.

Hitting enemies in the zone knocks them prone.
You can help (advantage) everyone in your zone.
He also mused about obscuring enemy vision in the zone, but that didn't happen.

All good ideas, but it's still not complete enough to really give a good judgment. The core issue remains, how do you fit all this stuff into the fighter class which is already loaded with damage?

Hussar

Legend

You certainly could. But, at that point, where do you stop? Why do we need three "wizard" classes? What's a warlock but a wizard with a particular background? Never minding druids or, heck the umpteen cleric subclasses we have.

Without the mechanical background, there's nothing to actually do, in the game, that places a stamp at the table that I am playing X and not Y. And, I think, for myself anyway, that's important. I don't want to play a champion fighter that yells at people and has absolutely no impact on how the game is played. And, as far as a warlord goes, if you think people get fussy because the warlord is telling you how your character thinks (I don't wannnnnna get HP because the warlord yelled at me), imagine how unbelievably annoying it would be to play with that guy who tells you what to do every round instead of simply granting you extra actions without any actual strings attached.

That's the point that critics forget. Warlords don't actually tell you what to do. They cannot actually force you to do anything. All they do is grant opportunities. There's no loss of agency at all. I take an action that lets you do X. It's entirely up to you what you do with that opportunity. You get an extra attack, who do you attack? I grant an extra movement, where do you go? So on and so forth.

Otherwise, I'm just a really annoying player who's trying to micromanage your character and getting shirty when you ignore my suggestions because I'm an annoying git.

Bawylie

A very OK person

Yeah, you should. If you were going to do that in the first place, then that would’ve been perfectly viable. Instead we have 5 flavors of the same fighter with various subclasses and 6 flavors of the same spellcaster with various subclasses.

That should definitely have been 4 very different classes with a whole grip of subclasses that might be viable on any base class. But whatever.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Finally watched the last HFH. The ideas for the warlord abilities are great, each episode makes the subclass look better and better.

Remove ads