D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them." Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

rmcoen

Adventurer
I remember the point I wanted to make, and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] brought it up. In the game mechanics, the fighter swings 4 times, gets two hits, does 30 damage. He does this six "rounds" in a row, defeating the ogre champion at last. He has been hit by the ogre in return 6 times, suffering a a good 80 damage as well. In the fiction, the fighter dodges and barely deflects powerful man-crushing blows from the Ogre, earning many bruises, perhaps a dislocated shoulder, not to mention general exhaustion from running about in heavy armor like a circus acrobat. Finally the ogre overbalances after a particularly well-parried overhand swing; the fighter dashes in under the club, guts the monster as he rushes past, then whirls and shoves his sword two-handed into the ogre's exposed side! The game had the fighter making 24 attacks, landing 12, while suffering enough damage to kill a dozen to a score of peasants; the fiction had the fighter in a tough battle, always inches from the one-hit-one-kill crushing blow, and then landing a killing blow of his own.

IMC last week, we had a simliar sitution of "game vs. fiction", even in 4e. The aforementioned ranger has a Daily power named "Finishing Blow" (IIRC), which does "5W" damage (i.e. 5d10 for his longbow, then plus DEX and bonuses)... but it's "Reliable" = not lost if he misses. The player "missed" the Balor they were fighting 4 rounds in a row; the fifth round, he stopped trying that power, and used another (which actually "checkmated" the monster due to some amazing and situational synergy). In the storytelling, the ranger circled and dodged for a while, looking the the perfect opening... and never found it. He put the arrow away, unspent, and instead....

Now, the other point I wanted to say addresses martial vs. magical, and the comment that the martial classes fail to do their actions a lot, and the D&D mage never fails to say the gibberish and wave the hands and get exact one pinch of guano (not one and half) and eat the right spider... the spell always comes off. First - attacks of opportunity, anyone? Doing that complicated thing *invites* someone to take a free swing; the fighter doesn't (usually) invite a free swing just for attacking someone. Second - saving throws. Game vs. Fiction again -- perhaps, when the fighter survives the 64pt lightning bolt, he didn't do it because he has "100 hit points", he does it because the mage screwed something up! The bolt misfired, or arced left instead of right, or grounded out into a corpse's metal armor, spraying the target with sparks and shrapnel instead of electrocuting him outright. Or maybe, the bolt didn't even launch [i.e. the "supernatural protection" part of the fighter's HP] because the mage was jostled, or his steel wool blew away, or the glass rod snapped..

A few sessions ago, the cleric (also the party Face) nat-1'd a Diplomacy roll during a faceoff while infiltrating a drow city in disguise. He was trying, just as things were deteriorating into combat, to shift blame from the party to third group in the area. So I decided - for fiction reasons - that he actually executed his Diplomacy exactly and perfectly right.... except his hat of disguise was hanging from a crossbow bolt, pinned to the wall behind him (a "missed by 1 point!" result from the surprise round)....

Last comment, more towards the earlier "need rules for chinups". I'm not sure what system or edition I read this in; 4e attempts to force it into place. But basically, I assume that "paragon" characters succeed at "heroic" activities; epic characters succeed at paragon activities, and critically succeed at "heroic" activities; things outside your "field" drop you a category. So (assuming 30-level, like 4e), a 10th level fighter rolls Athletics - not to chin up, but to accomplish a Heroic amount or duration of chinups. In fact, depending on the goal, perhaps he rolls Endurance, since the "success" is automatic. A 20th level fighter doesn't need to roll; he impressively wins. the 20th level Wizard still rolls. The 30th level fighter doesn't just chinup for an hour, he does it in full plate, with the 10th level fighter on his back! The 30th level Wizard... makes the bar disappear, or summons a Balor to chinup for him, or just leaves because "chinups are stupid".

[MENTION=6692404]rmcoen[/MENTION]

The AoO and Saving Throw mechanics are artifacts of combat.

When you’re solving non-combatant obstacles and you need (for instance) of a Minor Illusion, a small fortress (LTH) or a Phantom Steed...you have them, no fortune resolution mechanic to test your spellcasting. And you have them at-will (the latter two through Ritual).

The Dungeon World Wizard (for instance) is rolling their Cast a Spell move for any spell they make with complications (or far worse) contingent upon the outcome. Conversely, the D&D Wizard (who wields FAR greater cosmic power) reliably brings their insane power into the world.

Meanwhile, while DW Wizards are substantially less potent than D&D Wizards, DW martial classes are MUCH more interesting, more broad, and more potent than their D&D counterparts. And the game achieves fantastic archetype manifestation and play parity between classes at all levels.

Sadras

Legend
That doesn't really seem like an action declaration on the player's part - it seems more like passive resistance

Alright lets talk action declarations

At low levels you face goblins/kobolds, bust open treasure chests and wooden doors, climb up a small mansion or village palisade, wrestle with the tavern drunk, shove a town guardsman, with the DCs likely fitting into the 8-14 range.

At high levels you face giants, burst through a swarm of orcs, break down steel doors, climb up a fortress in the middle of Avernus, wrestle with a Nalfeshnee, shove a stone golem, with the DCs likely fitting into the 15-20 range.

The level of the PCs bleeds into the types of challenges one generally would face with the action declarations logically becoming increasingly more difficult. Can a 1st level attempt some of these tasks on their own, sure - but not within the greater context of a high level adventure where the resource cost is greater and the combats are tougher.

but in any event it looks feasible to a 1st level PC to me. A 1st level PC can have +4 to CON saves and thus a 50% chance to make that save. And a 1st level fighter can survive taking 13 hp of damage.

This is but part of a larger challenge which sees the characters first being able to find and reach the horn, withstand its effects and then defeat its guardians, being the elemental and the stone golem, nevermind the patrol that eventually will investigate the sudden end of the horn blowing.
1st levels characters cannot hope to deal with this, certainly not without significant assistance.

The barbarians and fighters with a high CON might survive the horn's effects but the rest of their party would be out (including the cleric). Certainly not good adventure design.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
[MENTION=6692404]rmcoen[/MENTION]

The AoO and Saving Throw mechanics are artifacts of combat.

When you’re solving non-combatant obstacles and you need (for instance) of a Minor Illusion, a small fortress (LTH) or a Phantom Steed...you have them, no fortune resolution mechanic to test your spellcasting. And you have them at-will (the latter two through Ritual).

The Dungeon World Wizard (for instance) is rolling their Cast a Spell move for any spell they make with complications (or far worse) contingent upon the outcome. Conversely, the D&D Wizard (who wields FAR greater cosmic power) reliably brings their insane power into the world.

Meanwhile, while DW Wizards are substantially less potent than D&D Wizards, DW martial classes are MUCH more interesting, more broad, and more potent than their D&D counterparts. And the game achieves fantastic archetype manifestation and play parity between classes at all levels.

The 5E Wizard is fairly reliable, but in my experience the odds of failure are still pretty high.

Imaro

Legend
Alright lets talk action declarations

At low levels you face goblins/kobolds, bust open treasure chests and wooden doors, climb up a small mansion or village palisade, wrestle with the tavern drunk, shove a town guardsman, with the DCs likely fitting into the 8-14 range.

At high levels you face giants, burst through a swarm of orcs, break down steel doors, climb up a fortress in the middle of Avernus, wrestle with a Nalfeshnee, shove a stone golem, with the DCs likely fitting into the 15-20 range.

The level of the PCs bleeds into the types of challenges one generally would face with the action declarations logically becoming increasingly more difficult. Can a 1st level attempt some of these tasks on their own, sure - but not within the greater context of a high level adventure where the resource cost is greater and the combats are tougher.

This is but part of a larger challenge which sees the characters first being able to find and reach the horn, withstand its effects and then defeat its guardians, being the elemental and the stone golem, nevermind the patrol that eventually will investigate the sudden end of the horn blowing.
1st levels characters cannot hope to deal with this, certainly not without significant assistance.

The barbarians and fighters with a high CON might survive the horn's effects but the rest of their party would be out (including the cleric). Certainly not good adventure design.

Was just thinking along these lines but a little further with it... This isn't about whether a 1st level character could possibly with a slim margin of success...succeed at a single check at a higher tier's assumed DC it's about whether he can reliably do it to successfully complete an adventure. Ultimately whether it's 4e or 5e a 1st level fighter vs. a Pit Fiend is going to end the same way... with a dead first level fighter.

The 5E Wizard is fairly reliable, but in my experience the odds of failure are still pretty high.

I’ve put a lot of words (and an outrageous amount of high level play time in 1e, 2e, BECMI/RC, 3.x, 4e, 5e, and in various fantasy heartbreakers or Indy D&D) into describing this phenomenon at high level. I don’t know what sort of work you’re anticipating “in my experience, the odds of failure are high” to do.

Can you describe how an 18th level Diviner risks “high odds of failure” in noncombat resolution with their huge spell loadout (including replenishables), rituals, cantrips, 3/day “pick an outcome” when the group is faced with a problem that needs solved or an obstacle that needs obviated? Better still, can you describe how a creative, saavy Wizard player will not outright dominate play at that level? I’m curious what you’re envisioning happening (fiction-wise and mechanically).

* This is assuming a GM isn’t pulling out all kinds of the classic, shallow, obnoxious Anti-Magic blocks and adversarial, endless army of thieves stealing spellbooks moves. Assuming you aren’t transparently taking away their tools left and right as a kludge to deal with their cosmic power.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’ve put a lot of words (and an outrageous amount of high level play time in 1e, 2e, BECMI/RC, 3.x, 4e, 5e, and in various fantasy heartbreakers or Indy D&D) into describing this phenomenon at high level. I don’t know what sort of work you’re anticipating “in my experience, the odds of failure are high” to do.

Can you describe how an 18th level Diviner risks “high odds of failure” in noncombat resolution with their huge spell loadout (including replenishables), rituals, cantrips, 3/day “pick an outcome” when the group is faced with a problem that needs solved or an obstacle that needs obviated? Better still, can you describe how a creative, saavy Wizard player will not outright dominate play at that level? I’m curious what you’re envisioning happening (fiction-wise and mechanically).

* This is assuming a GM isn’t pulling out all kinds of the classic, shallow, obnoxious Anti-Magic blocks and adversarial, endless army of thieves stealing spellbooks moves. Assuming you aren’t transparently taking away their tools left and right as a kludge to deal with their cosmic power.

Your final assumption would be incorrect. That is literally the DMs job.

Your final assumption would be incorrect. That is literally the DMs job.

Alright. That is what I figured. It’s dealt with via heavy applications of GM Force (covert or overt).

Thank you. That is what I’ve seen personally when I’ve watched GMs who are of the opinion that “there is no problem with caster/martial D&D balance at high levels.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alright. That is what I figured. It’s dealt with via heavy applications of GM Force (covert or overt).

Thank you. That is what I’ve seen personally when I’ve watched GMs who are of the opinion that “there is no problem with caster/martial D&D balance at high levels.”

I mean, yes, the game works best when played as intended. More on this at 11.

Imaro

Legend

Hit point loss...traps...opposition that uses spells...monsters/NPC's who lean towards speed and seizing initiative...stealth/ambushes...monsters with resistances to magic...custom monsters...poison...diseases... extending the adventuring day beyond 24 hrs...time pressures...puzzles/riddles...antagonists who prepare for spellcasters...and so on.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads