• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls on Settings

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The user JohnBiles at RPG.net had, I think, a good reply to this issue of "Greyhawk vs FR" which I will copy below (I hope he does not mind). I think Nightscreed's essay on the topic of defining Greyhawk is also useful, though far more one-sided in a pro-Greyhawk and anti-FR way.

History:
Greyhawk has a central story to its history and the Forgotten Realms does not.

Greyhawk's history basically starts with the Suel and Baklunish empires locked in seemingly eternal war. They then blew each other to tiny bits and everything sinks into utter barbarism and the Suel scatter east across the Flanness, while the Baklunish squat in the ashes and claw their way back up to civilization slowly. Meanwhile, the barbarian Oerdians conquer the Flan (think 'Celts colonize Pre-Colombian North America' ) in the Flanness while the Suel refugees end up at the fringes.

Eventually, an Oerdian empire, the Great Kingdom of Aerdy arises and reunites most of the Flanness, while the Sheldomar valley is reunited by a state of mixed Suel and Oerdian origins, and a great religious state arises in the west in Baklunish lands.

All three states break apart into pieces under their own weight and now those pieces break into pieces and now the Flanness is full of quarreling states that are themselves in many cases in decline.

Mix in the rise of an evil god and his evil kingdom (Iuz), a wizard obsessed with maintaining the 'balance of good and evil' (Mordenkainen), a nutjob wizard who imprisoned nine demi-gods (now free and he's become a god himself, Zagyg), the greatest of Dungeons (Castle Greyhawk) and you've got Greyhawk's present.

Greyhawk is in a period of breakup and decline. Only nasty kingdoms are actually growing stronger (the Pomarj, the Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz, etc) and many kingdoms are losing control of their outer fringes.

By contrast, I can't think of an overriding story of Forgotten Realms' history. Rather, every region has its own local history which doesn't really fit into any larger pattern of rise and decline I can see beyond the existence of now-destroyed ancient empires which often involved races which have lost control of the world.

Who Rules the Roost

Humanity dominates Greyhawk, even if Humanity is currently divided against itself. The Demi-Humans are largely confined to the fringes. (Indeed, humanity is so much in charge that distinct races of humans exist and have significance) [Edit - For reference, the human sub-races are Suel = Blonde and Pale Skinned (Scandanavian), Baklunish = Dark haired and Golden Skined (Arabic or Turkish), Flan = Dark Wavy Haired and Bronze Skin (American Indian), Oeridian = Blonde to Dark haired, Olive Skin (Spanish)]

Humanity is the largest race in the Realms, but they don't hold quite as dominant a position as they do in Greyhawk.

The Role of Neutrality

The Forgotten Realms is about Good vs. Evil; neutrals pretty much tend to either side with good or get bulldozed.

Greyhawk is mostly neutral people with really good or evil places a lot more rare. (Though evil kingdoms seem to be gaining ground of late.)

Normalcy

In Greyhawk, there is a lot of really potent magic, but ordinary life is rarely shaped by it. Most people are dirt-farming peasants who may well know a spell-casting local priest, but that's about it for magic.

In the Forgotten Realms, there doesn't seem to be quite as much huge magic as Greyhawk, but you're more likely to run into it, especially in the 4E magically devastated Realms.

Organizations

Pretty much, in Greyhawk, any secret group is probably either evil and wants to kill you or is neutral and trying to maintain the balance. I can't think of anything even vaguely equivalent to the Harpers on the good side.

In Forgotten Realms, there are some good aligned groups which might help you out. In badly run FR campaigns they won't leave you alone.

Religion

There is no overgod in Greyhawk; there is one in Forgotten Realms. Demigods seem a lot more common in Greyhawk to me than FR but I am not sure of that.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
My personal preference is a brand new setting, however if they want to bring back old settings I think Eberron and Dark Sun should be the first choices because they are glaringly different.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The user JohnBiles at RPG.net had, I think, a good reply to this issue of "Greyhawk vs FR" which I will copy below (I hope he does not mind). I think Nightscreed's essay on the topic of defining Greyhawk is also useful, though far more one-sided in a pro-Greyhawk and anti-FR way.

History:
Greyhawk has a central story to its history and the Forgotten Realms does not.

Greyhawk's history basically starts with the Suel and Baklunish empires locked in seemingly eternal war. They then blew each other to tiny bits and everything sinks into utter barbarism and the Suel scatter east across the Flanness, while the Baklunish squat in the ashes and claw their way back up to civilization slowly. Meanwhile, the barbarian Oerdians conquer the Flan (think 'Celts colonize Pre-Colombian North America' ) in the Flanness while the Suel refugees end up at the fringes.

Eventually, an Oerdian empire, the Great Kingdom of Aerdy arises and reunites most of the Flanness, while the Sheldomar valley is reunited by a state of mixed Suel and Oerdian origins, and a great religious state arises in the west in Baklunish lands.

All three states break apart into pieces under their own weight and now those pieces break into pieces and now the Flanness is full of quarreling states that are themselves in many cases in decline.

Mix in the rise of an evil god and his evil kingdom (Iuz), a wizard obsessed with maintaining the 'balance of good and evil' (Mordenkainen), a nutjob wizard who imprisoned nine demi-gods (now free and he's become a god himself, Zagyg), the greatest of Dungeons (Castle Greyhawk) and you've got Greyhawk's present.

Greyhawk is in a period of breakup and decline. Only nasty kingdoms are actually growing stronger (the Pomarj, the Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz, etc) and many kingdoms are losing control of their outer fringes.

By contrast, I can't think of an overriding story of Forgotten Realms' history. Rather, every region has its own local history which doesn't really fit into any larger pattern of rise and decline I can see beyond the existence of now-destroyed ancient empires which often involved races which have lost control of the world.

Who Rules the Roost

Humanity dominates Greyhawk, even if Humanity is currently divided against itself. The Demi-Humans are largely confined to the fringes. (Indeed, humanity is so much in charge that distinct races of humans exist and have significance) [Edit - For reference, the human sub-races are Suel = Blonde and Pale Skinned (Scandanavian), Baklunish = Dark haired and Golden Skined (Arabic or Turkish), Flan = Dark Wavy Haired and Bronze Skin (American Indian), Oeridian = Blonde to Dark haired, Olive Skin (Spanish)]

Humanity is the largest race in the Realms, but they don't hold quite as dominant a position as they do in Greyhawk.

The Role of Neutrality

The Forgotten Realms is about Good vs. Evil; neutrals pretty much tend to either side with good or get bulldozed.

Greyhawk is mostly neutral people with really good or evil places a lot more rare. (Though evil kingdoms seem to be gaining ground of late.)

Normalcy

In Greyhawk, there is a lot of really potent magic, but ordinary life is rarely shaped by it. Most people are dirt-farming peasants who may well know a spell-casting local priest, but that's about it for magic.

In the Forgotten Realms, there doesn't seem to be quite as much huge magic as Greyhawk, but you're more likely to run into it, especially in the 4E magically devastated Realms.

Organizations

Pretty much, in Greyhawk, any secret group is probably either evil and wants to kill you or is neutral and trying to maintain the balance. I can't think of anything even vaguely equivalent to the Harpers on the good side.

In Forgotten Realms, there are some good aligned groups which might help you out. In badly run FR campaigns they won't leave you alone.

Religion

There is no overgod in Greyhawk; there is one in Forgotten Realms. Demigods seem a lot more common in Greyhawk to me than FR but I am not sure of that.

This is a pretty good essay. And it shows the problem of rules as differentiation... apart from maybe a few sub-classes, or comments like "the monks of the scarlet brotherhood are mostly X", does Greyhawk need new rules? Not at all...

Mistwell

This is a pretty good essay. And it shows the problem of rules as differentiation... apart from maybe a few sub-classes, or comments like "the monks of the scarlet brotherhood are mostly X", does Greyhawk need new rules? Not at all...

I am not sure that any setting needs more than a few pages of rules. You can come up with rules that better reinforce a lot of these concepts, but I don't think they are necessary to achieve most of the goals and elements of Greyhawk or really any setting. For example, you could easily come up with rules for human subraces of Suel, Baklunish, Flan and Oeridian. Much like FR does that for Elvish subraces of Wood elves, Wild elves, Drow, Avariel, and Aquatic Elves. And you could come up with Greyhawk-specific spells (with spellcaster names attached to them) just as FR has FR-specific spells. But you don't really need any of those races or spells to run either setting.

The bulk of most campaign setting guides is descriptive in nature (what some people call fluff). That original 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting guide for example had very few rules, but a lot of descriptions. I remember Monte Cook even wrote an essay on the important role that mostly-descriptive (fluff) books can have for the game and campaign settings in general. I am not sure where it is now, but I recall there was some product that I think Sean K Reynolds was working on (Silver Marches?) that was a sub-book concerning some region of the Forgotten Realms and there was push-back against this book challenging that it was unnecessary and mostly fluff (about 5 total pages of crunch in that whole book), and Monte Cook challenged back concerning how important that is for a growing and thriving setting.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Actually, Greyhawk is the setting where drow were first introduced, via the GDQ series, which basically is a struggle against giants that reveals the drow (discovered for the first time) as the ones pulling the strings behind the scenes, with the latter half of the series pivoting away from giants to tackle the drown head on.

I do agree though that they are a lot easier to ignore in GH than they are in the Realms, if you are so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

I should have clarified that - Drow as PCs and not adversaries. I don't have a problem with Salvatore's favorite son, I just have a problem with how easily he integrates with society at large.

If you want a world where races that would normally be considered "monsters" or at least dire threats to the existence of civilized lands running around, that's great.

If you accept the occasional drow, then you have orcs and I don't know ... friendly vampires running around. That's all part of the "anything goes" feel of FR which is fine. But I want my drow to be the bogeyman, not just another playable race.

76512390ag12

First Post
Sounds to me as though the difference is that GH is pretty undeveloped and unscripted. So to produce anything for it is going to be hard. Since it's blankness is what appeals.
So, a sandbox setting, publish the maps and all that EGG wrote, and deliberately leave it fur the fans.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

..... Detail.
Lots of detail. Maybe too much of it.

Point to a spot/region on the FR map. They've printed a source book & a poster sized map for it. It started back in 1e with FR?1: The Moonshae Isles & it continued on until 4e arrived.
And that's not counting the who-knows-how many novels.

Now do the same with the GH map.
Almost anywhere you point to falls into one of these categories:
1) No detail even after 40 years.
2) About two (short) paragraphs at the best. Maybe a page in the 3e Living GH Gazeteer?
3) Some very local area (that isn't picked out on the world map) detailed (kinda) in a specific module.

FR1 was Waterdeep and the North; Moonshae was actually FR2. And there are some areas in the Forgotten Realms that were never fully detailed. Like Lantan and.... um... well Lantan was never detailed!

Granted, that was true only up to the start of 4e, which of course wrecked the geography and moved the timeline up a century, rendering most of all that detail moot (and is the reason why many want to see a new FRCS, after 5e wrecked the geography again)...

And the reason that Greyhawk isn't as detailed as the Forgotten Realms is down to one thing: TSR went bankrupt in the middle of them attempting to do so. The WGR line of accessories (1991 - 1995) were in the process of detailing the setting (while mixing in some adventures in the line): WGR3 Rary the Traitor details the Bright Desert; WGR4 The Marklands details Furyondy and Nyrond; WGR5 Iuz the Evil details the Empire of Iuz; and the abandoned (but available in PDF form) WGR7 Ivid the Undying details the remnants of the Great Kingdom. (Beyond this, he area around Greyhawk City was of course detailed several times, and the Scarlet Brotherhood which detailed Hepmonaland, the Amedio Jungle, and the other areas under the control of the Brotherhood was published in 1999 once WotC had taken over). Had not TSR collapsed just before WRG7 was published, presumably the WRG line would have continued and the setting would likely have ended up as detailed as completely as the Forgotten Realms.

Last edited:

Bad Fox

First Post
I'd love an updated Eberron campaign, but it's not generic D&D, it's showing how you can stretch the core rules into a different direction.

In light of how Mearls talks about it, I expect that stretching the game in a different direction is exactly what he and his team are looking for.

Now, whether that's just a different direction thematically, or if it also means stretching the core rules in a different direction? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

But I did get curious to see what info I could find on survey results done by Wizards about which settings are most popular. I knew I remembered reading it somewhere, and I managed to track it down in an article that Mearls wrote...

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/july-survey

At the top of the rankings, Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape and Forgotten Realms were all about equally popular.

The next tier included Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Spelljammer.

Below these settings there was a sharp drop-off in terms of popularity. Since this is the case, smart money would say that any release they're working on would be drawn from these choices. But whether or not the second-tier picks would have a chance - well, that feels like a guessing game at this point.

Popularity would be a major factor in choosing what gets released, but I'm sure other factors would be in play, too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I am not sure that any setting needs more than a few pages of rules. You can come up with rules that better reinforce a lot of these concepts, but I don't think they are necessary to achieve most of the goals and elements of Greyhawk or really any setting. For example, you could easily come up with rules for human subraces of Suel, Baklunish, Flan and Oeridian. Much like FR does that for Elvish subraces of Wood elves, Wild elves, Drow, Avariel, and Aquatic Elves. And you could come up with Greyhawk-specific spells (with spellcaster names attached to them) just as FR has FR-specific spells. But you don't really need any of those races or spells to run either setting.

The bulk of most campaign setting guides is descriptive in nature (what some people call fluff). That original 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting guide for example had very few rules, but a lot of descriptions. I remember Monte Cook even wrote an essay on the important role that mostly-descriptive (fluff) books can have for the game and campaign settings in general. I am not sure where it is now, but I recall there was some product that I think Sean K Reynolds was working on (Silver Marches?) that was a sub-book concerning some region of the Forgotten Realms and there was push-back against this book challenging that it was unnecessary and mostly fluff (about 5 total pages of crunch in that whole book), and Monte Cook challenged back concerning how important that is for a growing and thriving setting.
I agree with you that the soul of the setting is in the fluff. And I agree that not too many rule changes, in general, should be required.

But, even in that context, Greyhawk needs waaaaay less rule changes or additions than say, planescape or ravenloft....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

I agree with you that the soul of the setting is in the fluff. And I agree that not too many rule changes, in general, should be required.

But, even in that context, Greyhawk needs waaaaay less rule changes or additions than say, planescape or ravenloft....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

I mostly agree. But they just did Ravenloft, and frankly the number of actual rules changes to function in the setting wasn't that much really.

Remove ads