• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Portnoy Leaves DREAM THEATER ...

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm honestly not surprised about this at all. I'm a huge fan of DT, but their recent stuff has started to sound really stale to me. A lot of times that comes about from band members getting bored. His work with Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic just seems more energetic. Of course, that could be due to the Rev and Morse doing a lot of the writing, but I doubt that.

Herschel

Adventurer
Makes a lot of sense, actually. After what, 25 years? guys can start to rub each other the wrong way a bit (or get musically apathetic or redundant) and sometimes a split is necesary to keep things from escalating. That doesn't preclude a future "reunion" or the like, but some times you just need to move on. Heck, I've played with a bass player a couple of times whose desire to be part of a group goes strong for about 8 months and then wanes quickly. A quarter century (ish) is pretty good.

ggroy

First Post
I'm honestly not surprised about this at all. I'm a huge fan of DT, but their recent stuff has started to sound really stale to me. A lot of times that comes about from band members getting bored.

They're not the only band suffering from things going stale.

IMHO, the last several Iron Maiden records have sounded kinda stale too. (They're good albums, but nothing compared to their classic stuff from the 1980's). Ironically, Dream Theater's previous producer Kevin Shirley, has produced the last several Iron Maiden records.

Remove ads