• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Schley's MASSIVE Forgotten Realms Map From SCAG!

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."
The print version ($10-$54, depending on size) is here, and the digital version ($10) is here.

schley_fr.jpg

akr71

Hero
During the events of the latest Forgotten Realms novels. The Drow wanting to get back at the Dwarves of the Silver Marches for defeating them in the past. Attempted to have Many Arrows fight the War for them. Obould XVIII the current king was not keen on the idea. The Drow responded to this by having him poisoned at a feast and framing his eldest son, heir and fellow moderate Lorgru for the crime. Resulting in Lorgru's exile. They then aided in putting a warmongering puppet named Hartusk in charge. The Orcs had good results for a while but eventually made too many mistakes and the Dwarf holds banded together to defeat them and the Drow. Lorgru eventually returned from his exile and took his throne back and aided in defeating Hartusk. The Dwarves however refused Lorgru's attempts to sue for peace and forced him and his followers out of the silver marches.

It's better if you just read Archmages sample chapter which features the meeting with Lorgru after they won the war.

That is quite interesting! I haven't read any of the novels, but I wrote an adventure for my group (post Lost Mines) that has them uncover a Drow plot to try and recruit the Many-Arrows in sieging the Dwarves. They uncovered the plot while the Orcs were attempting to negotiate a higher payment.

akr71

Hero
I bought it. Some of the roads arent where they are supposed to be. Also when did Anauroch get so big?

Roads change with time. I work in geomatics - even in 2015 it is sometimes shocking to see where property boundary data has a road right-of-way and where it 'actually' based on data from land surveyors.

And when dirt roads wash out or pass too close to hostile environments... well, the travelers take it upon themselves to find new routes.

discosoc

First Post
Your wallet speaks louder than your posts on a message board.

Not really. If I choose not to buy the SCAG because it lacks a map, then WotC will just assume it was a good idea in the first place not to spend the money to include one for a product I didn't purchase. They have no way of knowing why a product wasn't purchased. Yeah, I could write to them, but it's funny how easily a company will ignore private communication.

And if I choose not to buy Mike's map directly from him, he has no way of knowing why. It's not a "lost sale" to him. But if he reads this post and see me complaining, suddenly it is a lost sale to him. Maybe not one that means much, but it's at least known.

For the record, I did purchase the SCAG. It's ok with some extra rules, but really doesn't offer much that's particularly useful. The biggest problem with Forgotten Realms right now is that there's so much confusion as to what the map looks like post-spellplague, and what the big changes from the last round are. It's been no secret that people (including the likes of Ed Greenwood apparently) weren't exactly happy with how 4e handled it all, and that a reboot/retcon type thing was in the works.

This whole map thing wouldn't even be on my radar if not for the sheer lack of communication and clarity on the setting.

That is quite interesting! I haven't read any of the novels, but I wrote an adventure for my group (post Lost Mines) that has them uncover a Drow plot to try and recruit the Many-Arrows in sieging the Dwarves. They uncovered the plot while the Orcs were attempting to negotiate a higher payment.

Here if you want to look at the events following the war yourself. http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Archmage_Sample.pdf

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not really. If I choose not to buy the SCAG because it lacks a map, then WotC will just assume it was a good idea in the first place not to spend the money to include one for a product I didn't purchase. They have no way of knowing why a product wasn't purchased. Yeah, I could write to them, but it's funny how easily a company will ignore private communication.

I promise you, they are much more likely to ignore you complaining on ENWorld about it in the midst of Mike's thread. Even those who agree with you are being tentative about it, because of your tone and where you said it and how you said it. In fact I'd say your best case scenario at this point is them ignoring what happened in this thread - if they actually paid attention they would likely conclude, from the totality of this thread, the map being done the way they did it was a good idea.

And if I choose not to buy Mike's map directly from him, he has no way of knowing why. It's not a "lost sale" to him. But if he reads this post and see me complaining, suddenly it is a lost sale to him. Maybe not one that means much, but it's at least known.

You've made it clear you think it should have been included for free. There is no scenario you've outlined where you would have bought it directly from Mike. How is that a lost sale? You've made it clear you were never going to be his customer anyway.

For the record, I did purchase the SCAG.

OK, so it was in fact enough to get you to buy it, knowing the map was not free. So WOTC was right, even about you. I don't even understand your point anymore. There seems to be no principal here - or at least no principal you are willing to back in any meaningful way other than being a bit of a crank about it in the artist's thread.

JeffB

Legend
I've been out of the loop, so I just want to clarify..

There is no map included with the SCAG print book?

You have to buy the map separately as a expensive print version or a PDF?

vandaexpress

First Post
Great job, Mike. Love your maps and will be picking up this one today, this will be the 27th one I've purchased directly from you, so while I can't speak for everyone else, I for one, am grateful that you offer all of your maps for sale independently.

And I guarantee that I will buy literally any high-res battlemaps you release at the 5ft scale... hint hint ;)

Keep up the good work.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've been out of the loop, so I just want to clarify..

There is no map included with the SCAG print book?

You have to buy the map separately as a expensive print version or a PDF?

Actually, I believe there *is* a large portion of the map included in the SCAG (shrunk down to the size of the book pages obviously), but that Schley's map you can buy and download from his site covers a larger area and has more details in it (more roads/towns/sites listed?)

At least, that's what I've gotten from the folks here and tweets Schley has made.

pukunui

Legend
I don't think it has more detail, but it definitely covers a wider area. It extends west over all the islands except Evermeet, and it extends east as far as the Dalelands.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads