• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Milestone feats: mitigating the 15-minute workday

FireLance

Legend
Milestone feats are intended to encourage characters to conserve their daily powers and to continue adventuring. This may involve one or more of the following:
1. The feat may provide a bonus that increases with every milestone.

2. The feat may grant a milestone ability after the character first reaches a milestone after taking an extended rest. Usually, such abilities can only be used once per milestone, and are refreshed when the character reaches subsequent milestones. If the character does not use a once per milestone ability before he reaches another milestone, the previous use of the milestone ability is lost. Milestone abilities are also lost when the character takes an extended rest.

3. The feat may provide an improvement to one of a character's daily powers that varies with the number of milestones reached. Such feats are also power enhancement feats.​
Generally, characters only enjoy the benefits of milestone feats if they have three or more encounters before they take an extended rest; a milestone feat provides few or no benefits during the first two encounters, before a milestone is reached. Milestone feats usually provide benefits that are more significant than regular feats to offset this.

Milestone abilities may also help alleviate the tedium of long fights by giving the characters additional options.

The following are some examples of milestone feats (they are also power enhancement feats for the 1st-level paladin daily powers).
Delirium Strike (Paladin, Milestone)
Prerequisites: Paladin, radiant delirium power
Milestone Ability: Once per milestone, when you hit with a melee basic attack or a 1st-level paladin at-will attack power, the target also takes a penalty to AC equal to the number of milestones you have reached. This penalty lasts until the end of your next turn.
Power Enhancement: When you use your radiant delirium power, regardless of whether you hit or miss with your attack, the target takes an additional penalty to AC equal to the number of milestones you have reached until the end of your next turn.

Healing Judgment (Paladin, Milestone)
Prerequisites: Paladin, paladin's judgment power
Milestone Ability: Once per milestone, when you hit with a melee basic attack or a 1st-level paladin at-will attack power, an adjacent ally may spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to the number of milestones you have reached.
Power Enhancement: When you use your paladin's judgment power, the ally who spends a healing surge regains additional hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier plus twice the number of milestones you have reached.

Promise of Pain (Paladin, Milestone)
Prerequisites: Paladin, on pain of death power
Milestone Ability: Once per milestone, when you hit with a melee basic attack or a 1st-level paladin at-will attack power, the target takes damage equal to 1d8 + the number of milestones you have reached after making any attacks on its next turn.
Power Enhancement: When you use your on pain of death power, regardless of whether you hit or miss with your attack, the target takes additional damage equal to the number of milestones you have reached after making any attacks on its turn. A successful save against your power ends this effect.​
What do you think of the concept?

Last edited:

To situation-dependent, for my taste.
Class, Power and Milestone dependent?

But I like the general idea of "Milestone Feats" in that you might have benefits that you only gain (or that improve) after you have reached a Milestone.

Maybe more something like this would interest me:

Heroic Recovery (Heroic)
Benefit: You gain one extra healing surge per day.
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you immediately regain two healing surges.

Paragon Recovery (Paragon)
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can expend a daily attack or utility power as a free action to regain hit points as if you had spend a healing surge.
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you regain one daily attack or utility power.

Epic Recovery (Heroic)
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can spend a encounter power as a free action to gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you also gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value. These hit points disappear if you spend an extended rest.

FireLance

Legend

Heroic Recovery (Heroic)
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you immediately regain two healing surges.
Yes, more generic milestone feats are possible (I just happen to want to develop power enhancement feats for all the paladin powers ;)), although my rule of thumb is that a milestone feat should provide the same benefit as a normal feat after the first milestone. So, I might balance Heroic Recovery against Durable as follows:
Heroic Recovery (Milestone)
Benefit: You gain one extra healing surge per day. When you reach a milestone, you regain a healing surge.​

Alex319

First Post
Just remember that healing surges and daily powers are the only character resources that are normally not regained until an extended rest.

Therefore, if you allow players to regain these without taking an extended rest, then you could possibly end up making it so players never need to take an extended rest, depending on powerful the feats are and how good characters are at conserving resources.

This may or may not be what you want, but if you combine it with some of your other feat suggestions, then it could end up being very powerful if players manage to accumulate many milestones, especially if people can recover their dailies to use them again to get the benefits again.

To situation-dependent, for my taste.
Class, Power and Milestone dependent?

But I like the general idea of "Milestone Feats" in that you might have benefits that you only gain (or that improve) after you have reached a Milestone.

Heroic Recovery (Heroic)

Paragon Recovery (Paragon)
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can expend a daily attack or utility power as a free action to regain hit points as if you had spend a healing surge.
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you regain one daily attack or utility power.

Epic Recovery (Heroic)
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can spend a encounter power as a free action to gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.
Special: Whenever you achieve a milestone, you also gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value. These hit points disappear if you spend an extended rest.

Just remember that healing surges and daily powers are the only character resources that are normally not regained until an extended rest.

Therefore, if you allow players to regain these without taking an extended rest, then you could possibly end up making it so players never need to take an extended rest, depending on powerful the feats are and how good characters are at conserving resources.

This may or may not be what you want, but if you combine it with some of your other feat suggestions, then it could end up being very powerful if players manage to accumulate many milestones, especially if people can recover their dailies to use them again to get the benefits again.

Well, in a way, that's what I want. The characters should go longer, that's the idea behind milestones and milestone feats.
Healing Surges go away faster then 1 per encounter for Defenders, so that's not a problem with just 2 healing surges per milestone. Dailies are more problematic, they shouldn't recharge to fast.

Yes, more generic milestone feats are possible (I just happen to want to develop power enhancement feats for all the paladin powers ;)), although my rule of thumb is that a milestone feat should provide the same benefit as a normal feat after the first milestone. So, I might balance Heroic Recovery against Durable as follows:
Heroic Recovery (Milestone)
Benefit: You gain one extra healing surge per day. When you reach a milestone, you regain a healing surge.​
I find it a little too weak, though in a way, it is about conciously setting up diminishing returns to avoid the typical "stacking" issues.

Maybe it would be a good idea to implement a special descriptor/keyword for the benefits gained by milestones, to create the implied guideline: If it has this keyword, it works on milestones, and milestone benefits affecting the same aspect (extra surges, extra dailies, and so on) do not stack.

Remove ads